What is the consensus on using Multimedia Fusion 2?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
HardWorkingPanda

What is the consensus on using Multimedia Fusion 2?

#1 Post by HardWorkingPanda »

I've read that some people do advocate using Multimedia Fusion 2 - arguing it is more intuititive and more user-friendly to the average person with no programming skills and want to create a VN. But all I see is that the software is for creating non-VN type games?

What is the view on this matter? For a starter - Ren'py or Multimedia Fusion 2?

Kari-Chan
Projects: The Culprit [On hold]
IRC Nick: Kari-Chan

Re: What is the consensus on using Multimedia Fusion 2?

#2 Post by Kari-Chan »

Here is my attempt to answer your question:

To be honest, I have never heard of Multimedia Fusion 2. But I have heard of Ren'Py. This argument might be a little biased.

Ok, so I've researced Multimedia Fusion 2.
Apparently, you just use your mouse to create powerful games and stuff.
I see...
An with Ren'Py, it's plain code.
With a 'Multimedia' creator, there is no main focus as to what type of game you want to create.And it only has a 30- day trial, after that, you have to pay $119.00 to buy it. Sure, It'd be 'easy to use for a non- programmer', but it'd only last 30 days, what are you going to do after that?
Before I found Ren'Py, I was a non- programmer. i knew nothing about programming visual novels, and I didn't like the sound of coding. Alas, I gave it a try, and I ended up loving coding. Once you get the hang of Ren'Py, It's so easy to use. I'm only a beginner, but even for me, creating a simple, short visual novel is a breeze.
Sure, It's coding.But,Ren'Py only uses one coding language; Python.The 'average person' could easily learn this language and create visual novels like a machine. There are hundreds of super simple and easy tutorials on how to create visual novels with Ren'Py on the internet, and If you are desperate to create one, you should go for it! It's a great hobby/job.

If you only want to make one project that would only take you 1-30 days, and are not willing to learn Python, Stick with Multimedia Fusion 2.
But If you'd like a VN creator that doesn't limit your creations and Is easy to learn, choose Ren'Py.
I recommend Ren'Py.
Even a 10 year old could learn Python.
Good luck! (Hope I helped.)
Katsu!

HardWorkingPanda

#3 Post by HardWorkingPanda »

I see... does anyone really use the Multimedia Fusion 2 software though? Do you or anyone know if there's any VNs out there made using this?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

It doesn't seem like anyone uses Multimedia Fusion 2, especially for a VN. Why would you pay $119 when Ren Py' is already an open source and free program that is constantly updated and has a strong community that is active in answering questions about programming?
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

With no programming skills I fail to see anything that would be easier than Renpy. Multimedia Fusion seems to be geared more towards creating video games rather than visual novels.

J. Datie
Veteran

#6 Post by J. Datie »

As someone who's tried to use Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel, I can't really recommend it. Making the basics isn't too hard, but it's still missing most of the nice extras that Ren'Py offers. I'd really only recommend it if you are making a hybrid-VN with heavy gameplay, and really, really don't want to have to type code.

HardWorkingPanda

#7 Post by HardWorkingPanda »

J. Datie wrote:As someone who's tried to use Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel, I can't really recommend it. Making the basics isn't too hard, but it's still missing most of the nice extras that Ren'Py offers. I'd really only recommend it if you are making a hybrid-VN with heavy gameplay, and really, really don't want to have to type code.
A VN with gameplay (RPG elements)... if this is the type of VN to be created... would you say then Multimedia Fusion 2 is more suited?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

If it will be more VN heavy, then Ren'py is probably still the best thing to use. It's possible to have RPG elements in Ren'py.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

If you only want to make VN, then RenPy is a better choice. Because it's FREE. MMF 2 costs more than 100$! If you have use RenPy for quite some time and still think RenPy is not good enough for you, then you can try the MMF2 30 days free trial.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

J. Datie
Veteran

#10 Post by J. Datie »

HardWorkingPanda wrote:
J. Datie wrote:As someone who's tried to use Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel, I can't really recommend it. Making the basics isn't too hard, but it's still missing most of the nice extras that Ren'Py offers. I'd really only recommend it if you are making a hybrid-VN with heavy gameplay, and really, really don't want to have to type code.
A VN with gameplay (RPG elements)... if this is the type of VN to be created... would you say then Multimedia Fusion 2 is more suited?
I would say follow LVUER's advice and try out Ren'Py, look at some of the stuff other people have made with it, and see if it does what you're after. As someone who's also tried to use Ren'Py to make a visual novel with a simple turn based battle system, I would say this is a lot easier than using MMF2 to make the visual novel section and the battle system. Actually, I've found that MMF2 isn't that great for making RPGs. Action games are it's strong point.

Plus, Ren'Py has the help forums if you get stuck. So much helping!

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#11 Post by llplldll »

Im currently using Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel. Its not that bad, if you know how to use it...

I'll start by saying Ren'py is much better if you only ever want to make visual novels. MMF2 allows you to make almost any game you can think of,
including VNs, but its a little tricky. The best way to describe VN development with MMF2 is ''reinventing the wheel''. You have to figure out how to program
things that come standard in Ren'py (text scroll, sprites,transitions etc).

Its A LOT harder that using renpy but at the same time more flexible (IMO). If you plan on making other types of games/hybrids then its worth it.
Otherwise, Ren'py is easier as far as VNs goes.

HardWorkingPanda

#12 Post by HardWorkingPanda »

llplldll wrote:Im currently using Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel. Its not that bad, if you know how to use it...

I'll start by saying Ren'py is much better if you only ever want to make visual novels. MMF2 allows you to make almost any game you can think of,
including VNs, but its a little tricky. The best way to describe VN development with MMF2 is ''reinventing the wheel''. You have to figure out how to program

Its A LOT harder that using renpy but at the same time more flexible (IMO). If you plan on making other types of games/hybrids then its worth it.
Are there any guides out there for MMF2 for making VNs? Can you direct me to some resources?

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#13 Post by llplldll »

HardWorkingPanda wrote:
llplldll wrote:Im currently using Multimedia Fusion 2 to make a visual novel. Its not that bad, if you know how to use it...

Are there any guides out there for MMF2 for making VNs? Can you direct me to some resources?
No guides for VNs specifically, afaik. But there are lots of general usage tutorials which can be found here: http://www.clickteam.com/tutorials
I would start there, it will give you a general idea of how development works in MMF2.
The way I learned is by studying templates/projects made by other users. Taking those apart, recreating them etc...
Here's a few links to useful stuff:
http://www.diybandits.com.au/MMF/tutorials.html
http://www.atomicpages.net/blog/2010/04 ... al-series/

None of those things have anything to do with a Visual Novel style (except for the text blitting tutorial, maybe) but understanding how
they work gave me the knowledge needed to build my own visual novel. If I had time, I would make a direct tutorial or something but
Im currently swamped with my own project, lol.

The clickteam forum is very very useful, though. There are various posts there that I found to be invaluable whenever I got stuck.
The community is very friendly also, they usually respond quickly and are helpful. You should probably join the forum and ask
other clickers about building a VN there too.
Hope all of this helps.
Good luck!