NaNoWriMo Game Support/Motivation Group

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
melodym3
Regular
Projects: TBD murder mystery vn
Organization: Los Muertos

NaNoWriMo Game Support/Motivation Group

#1 Post by melodym3 »

*** Chatroom for anyone wanting to join us for NaNoWriMo VN month= http://us12.chatzy.com/57704702781629 ***

So instead of NaNoWriMo (where you have a month to write a book), me and the rest of the gang at Los Muertos Studios are taking this time to jump start work on our game. I was wondering if anyone else out there would like to set up a challenge with me and help support each other to get it done.

I know these forums have a section for this but it looks like maybe the time of year corresponds to a different month, so I decided to post here instead. Feel free to move this topic if it doesn't fit.

My proposition:

-We set a goal of what and how much work we want to get done. In my case i'm the artist for Los Muertos so I'll probably want to set a goal of getting the sprites done, or backgrounds or something else that will be a challenge but still doable. Set whatever goal you think is right for you.

-Make your goals public! Post them in this thread and keep us up to date on your progress!

-Share a way to contact you, and keep in touch with other memembers of the group. I'll be sure to send everyone a message a couple times a week to see how you're doing and make sure we're all staying motivated.

-Help each other out. We're bound to get stuck here and there but having a few extra sets of eyes to give feedback on art or writing or programming can do wonders.

So, who's with me? I'll get it started:

Name: Melody/Pepita/Pep
Group: Los Muertos
Goal: 7 Character Sprites (7 body language poses each, 26 facial expressions each). Progress on the animated opening. 3 animated backgrounds (with day and night versions).
Progress: 2 sprites done (1 body language each, 10 facial expressions each). 1 animated background, start of animation complete.
Contact info: PM here, email: losmuertosgames@gmail.com ,twitter: @losmuertosgames
What I can help with: Art! If you need someone to take a look at your art in progress and give you some feedback, that's what i'm here for.
Last edited by melodym3 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: NaNoWriMo Game Support/Motivation Group

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

This is basically what we do during March's NaNoRenO, the VN version of WriMo. Still not a bad idea to kickstart game development anytime of the year though.

A Skype group I'm in made a Chatango room a while back and it never really got anywhere, but I think this Chatzy chatroom would be slightly better (the interface is cleaner in the long run) for chatting in real time and stuff. The idea was that it would be a place for female gamedevs to meet up and chat, but pretty much anyone is welcome. Maybe instead of waiting for RenO to roll around we can get this going for WriMo.

And TTG should be following you back on Twitter! I'm so pumped to see more progress on Hemlock Manner. Anyway, here's what I'm doing:

Name: Moya
Group: TwinTurtle Games
Goal: 20K+ words of raw script (lower than regular WriMo goal because college)
Progress: hahahah you're funny
Contact info: PM, ask for Skype Name
What I can help with: Proofreading for single scenes and idea bouncing

melodym3
Regular

#3 Post by melodym3 »

Great idea with the chatroom!

Anyone that missed it: Check out the link in Moya's post above mine. I'll add it to my opening post as well.

We'll have to keep each other motivated on twitter then. : )

and of course anyone else is welcome to join! You've got a whole month to get stuff done.
ImageImage

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#4 Post by Rozume »

This is perfect! I'm also spending NaNoWriMo to work on my game (mostly on the script). I'll just leave my info here:

Name: Roz
Group: Stardust Creations
Goal: 35-60k+ words of unedited script
Progress: Script started.
Contact info: PM here, and PM for skype and/or e-mail
What I can help with: Writing advice and idea bouncing.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#5 Post by Googaboga »

I love this idea :>. It's always great to have people to stay motivated with. I am a little nervous though. Still here is my info.
Name: Googa
Group: I don't have a name for it
Goal: Summarize all events (that haven't already been done), finish unedited scripts of each ending, have all of the edited/proofread scripts coded into the game
Progress: Script half way done, programming is up to date
Contact info: PM here or let me know if you want an email address
What I can help with: Idea bouncing and possibly programming (I'm not an expert so I don't know how to do certain things ^^;)
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

melodym3
Regular

#6 Post by melodym3 »

Still plenty of room for anyone else to join in! And great to have you two aboard, I just sent out a message to everyone. This should be fun. : )
ImageImage

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#7 Post by ketskari »

My progress will be a little slow until my arms/hands are in working order again (one-handed typing atm), but...

Name: S
Group: SlateGreen Productions
Goal: Clean up current scenes for Asher and progress to (at least) Act II, get plotting/blueprint done for TLOD (future project's working name) and start on character designs.
Progress: Have fifteen min of gameplay on Asher more or less worked out, with art/sprites, and have the setting and some concept art done for TLOD
Contact info: PM, PM for email
What I can help with: Story feedback and art.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#8 Post by Mink »

Sure, why not

Name: Mink
Group: Metal Orphans
Goal: First part/episode written, placeholder art, functional code for the boss battle, Inventory/cash system (?)
Progress: First boss design finalized
Contact info: PM, Twitter = @Mink_LaLa
What I can help with: Writing advice, idea bouncing
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Wissa
Regular

#9 Post by Wissa »

Woo!

Name: Wissa
Group: no name
Working title of project: A Red and White Fable
Goal: Complete short story/fable of around 10,000 at least. Three character sprites, four illustrations, five BGs.
Progress: have 2 concept art of main character, first scene of 439 words, two BGs that I am recycling. Link to thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=23787
What I can help with: Writing and art.

peahat
Completed: Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls!

#10 Post by peahat »

Awwwww man, I am so down to do this! I just finished another game jam, though (ended 11/1) and I am exhausted. Have you all already started on 11/1, or is there anyone who would be willing to start in a week or two?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#11 Post by trooper6 »

I want to participate, but I have to write a 40 page academic symposium paper in the next 12 days, then get back to my book. My project I work on in my other free time, so it is slow going.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by CheeryMoya »

peahat wrote:Awwwww man, I am so down to do this! I just finished another game jam, though (ended 11/1) and I am exhausted. Have you all already started on 11/1, or is there anyone who would be willing to start in a week or two?
Quite honestly this is sorta just an informal thing? I had to have a late start because I got sick after Halloween (so I'm barely starting tonight) so you can jump in anytime. Though, you'll have less time to do what you want. We'll be around all month.

peahat
Completed: Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls!

#13 Post by peahat »

CheeryMoya wrote:
peahat wrote:Awwwww man, I am so down to do this! I just finished another game jam, though (ended 11/1) and I am exhausted. Have you all already started on 11/1, or is there anyone who would be willing to start in a week or two?
Quite honestly this is sorta just an informal thing? I had to have a late start because I got sick after Halloween (so I'm barely starting tonight) so you can jump in anytime. Though, you'll have less time to do what you want. We'll be around all month.
O okay. Maybe I'll just hop in and start posting whenever I start my next game, if it's within the next month

melodym3
Regular

#14 Post by melodym3 »

Yes, feel free to join whenever! I think most of us are just using this month to get a jump start on our projects, but I think plenty of us will still be around in the chatroom after the month is over to just keep up with the work.

and you make your own goals, so even if it's something small to do in your free time, that's alright.

Every Saturday we'll be updating each other on our progress.
ImageImage