Choices in Kinetic Novels

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

Choices in Kinetic Novels

#1 Post by vociferocity »

Recently I've played two games I'd classify as pretty much KNs - one storyline, no routes, but with a couple of choices. The choices didn't lead to different endings, but more like....failing/succeeding at the current scene. If you fail, you just try again until you pick the correct choice.

Now I'm starting to work on a short KN (I know, I know, it's nanowrimo and I have a larger VN project and a story to work on, what am I thinking??), and I guess I'm wondering....should there be choices? I know people don't like completely meaningless choices, but do you prefer mostly meaningless choices to none at all? There's going to be some hidden object gameplay, and probably a little fight minigame, but most of it's just going to be clicking through dialogue. Would that bore you guys, or do you not mind if the story is good enough?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Choices in Kinetic Novels

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

The definition of a kineno is "no branching paths". Even a small side branch that immediately routes back into the main story qualifies, so if you add choices, you no longer have a kineno. You have a VN with little variation :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

vociferocity
Regular
Projects: Rogue of Heart, Valkyrie

#3 Post by vociferocity »

oh huh, ok. I thought it was more of a sliding scale, rather than a binary, but that makes sense!

I might just see what happens when I write the script, then. the plan doesn't have any choices, so I won't try to shoehorn them in.

Sakai
Regular
Projects: Ragged Heart
Organization: Afterthought Studios

#4 Post by Sakai »

Well however choices can happen, just to make it fun however they will not change the story line whatsoever just as in my game we are making a KN however we have some choices that create no routes or changes in the story or game but to entertain the player :)

Indeed it is hard to call it KN but more of a VN.