Screen resolutions for mobile devices

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

Screen resolutions for mobile devices

#1 Post by fioricca »

Hi LSF! I hope to release something made with Renpy on the Android phone, but I don't know which resolution I should use as there are so many different Android resolutions out there. We're expecting the app to go up either June/July next year (2014) if everything goes well. As far as I know, Ren'py requires the screen size to be set under options. After some googling, I found a source that lists out Android device popularity, but, I don't know if that spread accurately captures the VN demographic as well.

If it's all right, could you please tell me what phones/devices you own and their screen resolutions, or suggest a resolution I should use? Do feel free to contribute even if you're an iOS user; iOS-Android usage comparisons are equally valuable to me.

Apologies if this thread is inappropriate -- I believe the forum rules states that polls are not allowed, but I don't know where else to go/ask -- or if a relevant thread already exists and I missed it. As far as I know, all the threads about screen resolutions are for the PC and not for mobile devices.

Thank you very much in advance!

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Screen resolutions for mobile devices

#2 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I use iPhone 5 (1136 x 640) and iPad 2 (1024x768).

Also, welcome back!
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#3 Post by Sharm »

Droid Razr 540×960
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#4 Post by Aileo »

Currently I own a Kyocera Event (320 x 240) and a 2nd gen Nexus 7 (1920 x 1200).

DeletedUser160413

#5 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

iphone 4 960x640