What makes a Kickstarter successful?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

What makes a Kickstarter successful?

#1 Post by Lishy »

As a future Kickstarter user myself, I've been pondering the question what makes Kickstarters successful?

Of course, I've been putting 110% into the demo of Bells. But a demo alone cannot make a Kickstarter, right? I've seen projects without barely demo in the first place, raising $7000-$9000 dollars. So why are they successful?

It isn't the introduction video either, is it? I've long been contemplating how to go about producing the intro video of my own project, but I'm not sure what the standard is, or how effective they are in the first place? I've seen project narrators with 'bearded-guy-in-the-basement', and "stereotypical-infomercial-lady' voices, yet those raised over 15k. Is there even a standard?

Personally, I look at the Driftwood Kickstarter as the most "well-rounded" video, but that's my opinion.

But any project could release a good demo and video too. What is it that REALLY makes a Kickstarter successful? Connections? Rewards? Marketing?
-

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: What makes a Kickstarter successful?

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Lishy wrote:What is it that REALLY makes a Kickstarter successful? Connections? Rewards? Marketing?
Good questions. It's easy to toss out a cynical answer like "it helps to be a celebrity, or internet-famous." But I don't have a real answer, and I don't honestly think there's an easy one. Self-promotion seems to help. Aiming for specific audiences seems to help. Explaining where the money goes, and how you're trying to budget carefully, also seem like good ideas. And while it's possible to use a smaller platform such as Indiegogo, keep in mind that Kickstarter is the most well-known service of its kind.

Some info on this topic:

* The seven-part Kickstarter School article about shaping and refining your crowd-funding project
* Designer Daily's analysis of four successful Kickstarter projects
* Hot on KS: discussion of stats and intangibles
* An Australian article that compares/contrasts KS and Indiegogo

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#3 Post by Sharm »

I'd just like to point out that timing makes a big difference too. Certain times of year are better for kickstarters than others.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#4 Post by Rosstin »

Tagged. I'm interested in people's opinions, too. I've noticed that VN Kickstarters have a funding range of between 3k-12k, and, like everyone, I'd like to try to get as close to the deep end of the pool as we can without missing our target.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

Three things to note:

1) I am hesitant to back a kickstarter for a creator I don't know has a proven track record of delivering a quality product.

2) Many very good VN producers start by making free VNs, so VN fans are used to free products.

3) Many VN first time makers start games but never finish them.

So, my recommendation is to release some games to build up a reputation and a fan base before advertising a kickstarter.

For a VN, I'm not going to support your game if I don't know you or your work...with one exception: if your game/company is doing something social justice related and my funding would work as a form of activism, then I'll probably kick in a few dollars.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#6 Post by Obscura »

I think I've said just about all I could with my experience crowdfunding over the course of the year, so I won't waste time repeating it.

What I haven't really mentioned, however, was Trooper's important point above, about already having made a game.

Before I started my campaign I had a complete, smaller version of my game. Even though it was just one romance option, it was a full story line and a complete, standalone experience. I released it, got a bunch of feedback. It was helpful for assessing whether people would be into it enough whether to even pursue crowdfunding as an option.

To anybody who is crowdfunding your FIRST vn, having made a previous game may get you more support. But I think what's really important is that it will help you, as a developer, need to understand the undertaking involved in delivering the final product.

I realized a couple of things from making that VN: I didn't sleep (and would lose sleep for the next year), it was a huge amount of work in terms of art and writing, and what the things I'd need to do to make it a better game (fix the effing art work!)

I would never have undertaken Kickstarter without having tested myself with the initial product. You get so much information about yourself and your audience. Not everybody has to make a complete game to get funded, especially if they're already a name, have a clever concept or great artwork, but I didn't release that full game to get funding. I did it for myself. I have a threshold for discomfort, and not knowing the parameters of completing a VN is way too far above the threshold for me. YMMV.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Lishy »

Hey guys. I'm back.

How important is the video itself? And what makes it successful? Edging closer to my own VN demo and Kickstarter, I'm wondering how I should go about making my Kickstarter video. Any advice?

Would making a 30 second promo-animation be a good idea?
-

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#8 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

I do love a catchy promo. If you can put together a good one then go for it. As has been mentioned before, however, the majority people making their first game never finish so I'd say it's much more important to make a demo to show that you are serious about the commitment (and have some idea what you're getting yourself into).

I also advise keeping the budget low. Since I assume you don't have name recognition you shouldn't expect to be making one of the huge budget campaigns.

Edit after reading in progress thread:
You already have a demo. It looks like you are considering whether to make a promo or expand the demo. Ok. In that case I would recommend making a promo. A catchy video is basically an add for your game and is useful for the same reasons.
Last edited by Flowers from Nowhere on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Lishy »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote: I also advise keeping the budget low. Since I assume you don't have name recognition you shouldn't expect to be making one of the huge budget campaigns.
I've spent $2000 so far. I have $170 left I could possibly spend on the Kickstarter video.

Although, I understand money can't buy everything... I need to know what it is that makes a video successful? Structurally, for example?
-

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#10 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Lishy wrote:I've spent $2000 so far. I have $170 left I could possibly spend on the Kickstarter video.
Sorry, that's my bad for not reading your in progress thread first. :oops: You seem to know what you're doing. Carry on.
Lishy wrote:Although, I understand money can't buy everything... I need to know what it is that makes a video successful? Structurally, for example?
I personally prefer promos with something funny or catchy but I'm not the right person to ask about the psychological thriller genre. The best advice I can give is that you watch adds for other thrillers. VNs if you can find them but movies, tv, and games that target the same market should be able to give you some idea of what sells. Remember that the add exists to catch people's attention and convince them to take the time to look at the information you already have online.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Lishy »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:
Lishy wrote:I've spent $2000 so far. I have $170 left I could possibly spend on the Kickstarter video.
Sorry, that's my bad for not reading your in progress thread first. :oops: You seem to know what you're doing. Carry on.
Lishy wrote:Although, I understand money can't buy everything... I need to know what it is that makes a video successful? Structurally, for example?
he best advice I can give is that you watch adds for other thrillers. VNs if you can find them but movies, tv, and games that target the same market should be able to give you some idea of what sells.
Except making a Kickstarter video isn't that simple either... They shouldn't be an ad, but rather they should be a plea which establishes a personal connection with the viewer.
-

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#12 Post by Helianthus »

I’m taking the liberty of uping the topic as I have similar questions and didn’t see any other topic for that… :oops:

I’m in the middle of a crowdfundind campaign right now. It’s a bit weird since we don’t need funds for a game but goodies of visual novels but well, nevermind. So far, I think we’re not doing that bad but here’s the thing : since we began to advertise the campaign to the visual novel fans in our country, we received hurtful comments via social networks. Some people we follow and who follow us back saw the announce and are constantly mocking us behind our back (without relaying anything, of course). And when we’re trying to talk to them to explain our intentions, they stay silent for a few hours then continue to call us thief, dishonest or even saying we go against the law. I’ve got one person who encourage his followers not to give us anything because « we steal people’s money to get rich » (???).

It’s frankly quite puzzling. I was in to work hard to get noticed and collect the funds, or even facing people telling me my visual novel is shit and don’t deserve it or whatever, but I surely didn’t expect haters to say that kind of things… :shock:

So my question is : How do you deal with those type of comments ? Do you ignore them ? Do you try to calmly discuss ? What do you do to ensure you’re staying motivated through the campaign ? Because, for me, being motivated is the key to success : if I’m disheartened I won’t be able to do a good job… Any experience from a veteran would be much appreciated :?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#13 Post by SundownKid »

It really depends on the comment. Sometimes the comment might be a misconception and you can address it privately. If someone said you were trying to rip them off then you can explain that giving money means you get something in return and it's not just asking for donations for a nebulous goal.

If the question is an obvious troll, then it's better to ignore it ("don't feed the trolls").

Still, as a creator it's important to realize that people will think about stuff drastically differently depending on their personality. An insult from one person doesn't mean your work is bad, and you have to have a thick skin. That doesn't mean improvement is bad, but people who genuinely want you to improve won't outright trash your work. If they do, they probably don't like some fundamental aspect that has nothing to do with the work. If you got any positive feedback, focus on that and make it positive.

Unfortunately sometimes negative comments can make an artist crash and burn (see also: Fez 2). Often there is a silent majority who likes it and a vocal minority who hates it. Sometimes it's better to isolate oneself from negative comments.
Last edited by SundownKid on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#14 Post by Samu-kun »

During the campaign, you might as well throw your effort into it. Respond in a firm, professional, and brief manner that you got written permission from all the rights holders and that you can back it up with evidence.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#15 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Also related: someone compiled a list of visual novels with successful, unsuccessful, and currently-in-progress Kickstarters. I think it's a good thing to look at to compare and contrast on what worked, why some failed, and so on.

For me, a VN Kickstarter needs to have a good explanatory/overview video, strong demo/gameplay, a solid list of stretch goals, goodies, and breakdown of production costs. I will not put a single dollar into one that doesn't tell me where the money is going. For example, if 90% goes to the artist, I would hope to see the best examples of their work to know that the art for the game will be good. If 90% is going to the goodies, then the breakdown show address the expenses for said items. Note: Figure this out before the Kickstarter, especially shipping costs, local and international. If you have read anything about the fate of the "Pictures for Sad Children" Kickstarter, well...make sure you plan well. Be professional, be polite!

Honest Critique