Using exotic fonts?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
royal66

Using exotic fonts?

#1 Post by royal66 »

Hmm...is there a specific font standard used by Renpy? I tried to use a font with a runic alphabet, but it didn't display properly, and Japanese also didn't work. I was wondering if the problem was related to the encoding standard of the font (unicode, ISO, etc., I don't know the exact term used)?

And while I'm on fonts, is there a way to use a different font for only one or two windows or lines without having to make it the default system font?

I'd appreciate any advice on this. Tnx!
In training...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Using exotic fonts?

#2 Post by PyTom »

Hm... any truetype font should work. The default font (DejaVu Sans) contains many of the world's alphabets, but doesn't include ideographs (Chinese, Japanese, or Korean).

I'd need to see the runic font, but it should probably work. You may have to use the right unicode characters, if the runes aren't mapped to ascii.

If you send me the font, I can tear it apart and see.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#3 Post by Recca Phoenix »

You can peruse http://dafont.com
for other crazy-looking fonts, most work well but some don't. Most of them are freeware also.

royal66

#4 Post by royal66 »

PyTom wrote:Hm... any truetype font should work. The default font (DejaVu Sans) contains many of the world's alphabets, but doesn't include ideographs (Chinese, Japanese, or Korean).

I'd need to see the runic font, but it should probably work. You may have to use the right unicode characters, if the runes aren't mapped to ascii.

If you send me the font, I can tear it apart and see.
Everything's good already, sirs! Took me this long to remember my HTML class! :lol: I just got a shiny new runic font off DA Fonts and everything works like clockwork now.

Pardon my noobness. :lol:
In training...