Paying Underaged Writers?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Head_Phones
Regular
Projects: Clichéd

Paying Underaged Writers?

#1 Post by Head_Phones »

Exactly as the titles says.

How do you go about doing so?

Will you have to draft up a contract to get their parents' consent? Or something else? What if you send the payment to the writer's parents' paypal?

I've been told conflicting things so I'd just like an answer from an underaged writer who has gotten paid before/someone who has paid an underaged writer before, or something.

Thanks!
Last edited by Head_Phones on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater'
~Austin Powers

Profile pic drawn by the wonderful akemicchi

|| Honest Critique ||

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Paying Underaged Writers?

#2 Post by Tempus »

Head_Phones wrote:I've been told conflicting things so I'd just like an answer from an underaged writer who has gotten paid before/someone who has paid an underaged writer before, or something.
I think it's very important to point out that just because an under-aged person has been paid before or someone has paid an under-aged person before, it doesn't mean they did it in a legal manner or are a good example to follow. I know a lot of people who still request payment for their work to be gifted which is against PayPal's terms of service if you're being paid to provide goods or services (e.g., doing a commission). Don't trust people's anecdotes. Find relevant terms of service, laws, and/or qualified professionals that you can consult yourself.

Of course, a forum like this can be a good starting point. I don't know much about this subject so I can't really comment. Good luck.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

I would say that payment should be done with the parents consent and wired to their account. Basically, you are dealing with the parent in their name, rather than the underaged person themselves.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#4 Post by Michiyo6918 »

I don't think you will need the parents' consent for something like this. It's not like you are doing something illegal. It's like high school student working part time job here in my place, or me myself as an example of being a waitress despite being underage, living alone away from parent o v o (Well, I'm living with my sister)

Though I guess it really depends and varies on people.
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

Why bother with Paypal... just use Western Union... Reliable, Fast, Hassle Free Money Sending, no questions asked... He/She gets payment and you get what you want regardless of age or circumstances... very simple and none of that additional paperwork Paypal usually asks... :)

Paypal sucks anyway and is run by scumbags :x ...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#6 Post by Greeny »

Don't listen to Mugen, they pay him to say that.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

Greeny wrote: Don't listen to Mugen, they pay him to say that.
On the contrary, I'm not... Most if not all of my experience with Paypal has been disappointing to miserable due to technicalities with only 1 transaction that went smooth (and that is stretching it)... Even a simple routine US$26 transaction becomes horrendously difficult despite my account being in good standing... I just don't understand why they keep rejecting my Credit Card when I just pretty much use it regularly... Heck, I even recently purchased ComiPO and every single expansion pack in one sitting using the very same credit card with no hassle but Paypal?... MEH!... They even got my other account hostage including funds and everything. I tried re-activating it and despite the long and complex steps I took which includes deducting a Php100 fee... they still hold my account by the balls... Yes, Paypal are thieves and scumbags!!! :x

Here's a recent Paypal transaction... and see how well it goes... note the amount of previous Support numbers...
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 94#p302894

Oh and... they don't like Philippine Bank Accounts either...

You really can't blame me for cautioning others about Paypal. So far, I never had such problems with Western Union and will continue to encourage people to use it because they are the best... (at least for me)

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxemRed
Veteran

#8 Post by AxemRed »

If someone asks to be paid through Western Union, assume they're trying to scam you.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

AxemRed wrote:If someone asks to be paid through Western Union, assume they're trying to scam you.
Whoa!... Hold it right there!... Now that is a really unfair accusation!...

I transact and accept background commissions (and others) using Western Union regularly and never ran into a single problem. I deliver the goods, they sent money (or vice-versa)... no problems whatsoever...

True, Paypal might be reliable, it's just not meant for Third World Countries... Western Union strikes the perfect balance between security and convenience...

Sorry, I'm standing by Western Union since they have served me well. Paypal is just to anal despite my account having "Good Standing" (Confirmed by Paypal support)

"POOF" (Disappears)

heypetdragon
Regular
Projects: 'Angelsong', 'The Homestead', 'The Seedling Witch' and 'Para!'

#10 Post by heypetdragon »

But Uncle Mugen, Western Union fees are so high. (I'm kuripot so...) = 3=
I don't have a problem with paypal because I use e-on card, to receive payments for my artworks. And I'm also here in the Philippines. Though, it takes a week before it transfers.

But I'm not one to talk because I haven't tested Western Union yet. haha

Oh but if you're underage, it might be hard to get a credit card for yourself to connect with paypal, because of the requirements to enroll a credit card. (But I don't know hw it is in your country) So get help from your parents and connect it to them instead
...or why not test Western Union

O U O And if it fails once, you could always blame Mugen.
hehe...

Peace Uncle Mugen. XD

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#11 Post by Rozume »

Pay them in Bitcoins. It's anonymous, decentralized, and you don't have to deal with annoying paper work. :D

I agree with Mugen, Paypal really stinks on ice. Which is why I offer alternative methods of payment for my commissions such as Dwolla, WePay, Flattr, etc.

But anyway, I think it's best to get the parent's/guardian's consent in writing just to be safe. Although I don't have much experience in this.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#12 Post by Deji »

I've never had a single problem with Paypal :'D

....Except once I got hacked and got $60 stolen because I went downloading stuff from sites I wasn't supposed to, so my fault >>;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#13 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

mugenjohncel wrote: True, Paypal might be reliable, it's just not meant for Third World Countries... Western Union strikes the perfect balance between security and convenience...
heypetdragon wrote:But Uncle Mugen, Western Union fees are so high. (I'm kuripot so...) = 3=
Yeah, I can't speak as to how reliable Paypal is in other countries, but it has always worked great for me here in the U.S.

Western Union fees are quite high in comparison. I always eat the Paypal fee for my clients when getting paid (i.e. I don't charge them extra to cover it), but I don't think I could do that for Western Union.

But hey, whatever works.

As to the topic, I try to avoid working with underage clients. Nothing against them, I just think it opens up the possibility of too many things going wrong. An underage client can't enter into a legal contract by themselves or even be bound by one really, you have to work with parents (and can't rely on the underage client being the go-between, because they may lie about their parent's wishes), so you open up more opportunities for misunderstandings, and finally, (being an artist) at least here in the U.S., if someone were to find the art I did for the underage client objectionable or risque in any way, I could be charged with distributing obscene material to minors, which is a misdemeanor or even a felony in some jurisdictions. I'd be worried about scripts for VN games with romance or sex material falling under the same category. Sorry, younger Lemmasofters, but no thanks.

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#14 Post by Rosstin »

Getting the parents involved seems like an unnecessary step to me. I would just pay them.

Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

#15 Post by Yomuchan »

You're not doing anything that under-aged writers aren't supposed to legally do, so you should be fine. It's no different from paying a kid to mow your lawn or shovel some snow.

I could be wrong, though. The world's become more of a nanny-state that I remember.

The question is; how will the recipient GET the money? You should discuss it with your writers.