Free wallpapers for PC - use or not use?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sharane
Regular

Free wallpapers for PC - use or not use?

#1 Post by Sharane »

Hello everybody,

I know people are still looking for free backgrounds so I wonder why they don´t use free wallpapers. There are sceneries, fantasy landscapes etc. Is it possible to download them and use in VN? Of course in non-commercial game. I mean, if it is so, it could help a lot... don´t you think?
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

Re: Free wallpapers for PC - use or not use?

#2 Post by Fungii »

Well, the problem with free wallpapers is often you can pretty much assume they're simply 'stolen' art and graphics. While it does sound like a good idea to use the, ethically I'd rather come to the forums here and grab images that I know are free to use for my VN.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#3 Post by ketskari »

Creators might allow wallpapers for personal use, but "free" does not automatically mean public domain or that derivative work is allowed (as in a Creative Commons license).

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Fungii wrote:Well, the problem with free wallpapers is often you can pretty much assume they're simply 'stolen' art and graphics. While it does sound like a good idea to use the, ethically I'd rather come to the forums here and grab images that I know are free to use for my VN.
Yeah, a LOT of those "free" wallpapers are stolen, and the people who are putting up the wallpaper have no right to those images at all.

Sharane
Regular

#5 Post by Sharane »

I see... it´s a pity. Thanks for the answers :)
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

thelovebat
Projects: Kendo Crush!

#6 Post by thelovebat »

Sharane wrote:I see... it´s a pity. Thanks for the answers :)
If you use reverse image search or ask around a forum/image board for the source, it's possible you could find out what the license is for the picture and whether you could contact the original creator/artist for permission to use it.

Otherwise, you can always check the wallpapers for watermarks or artist signatures. I would highly recommend just browsing Deviantart or some place where you know what the source or who the artist is, so finding out if it's something you can use or get permission for is much easier. This goes for art/wallpapers and any other sort of game development assets you can think of such as music or sound effects.

thewriterjm
Completed: None
Projects: Decision Three
Organization: Shift RE

#7 Post by thewriterjm »

I'm currently using 'free' wallpapers as backgrounds in the game I am developing. They help me motivate myself, and using them makes me think that I am getting somewhere. Testing and writing the game becomes a relaxing experience. It makes me focus on the things I should do.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

thewriterjm wrote:I'm currently using 'free' wallpapers as backgrounds in the game I am developing. They help me motivate myself, and using them makes me think that I am getting somewhere. Testing and writing the game becomes a relaxing experience. It makes me focus on the things I should do.
I'm sure that even professionals use stuff found on Google image search as placeholders from time to time. But using it in a released game is a bad idea unless you know for a fact that it was released under a free license, e.g. Creative Commons.

thewriterjm
Completed: None
Projects: Decision Three
Organization: Shift RE

#9 Post by thewriterjm »

SundownKid wrote:
thewriterjm wrote:I'm currently using 'free' wallpapers as backgrounds in the game I am developing. They help me motivate myself, and using them makes me think that I am getting somewhere. Testing and writing the game becomes a relaxing experience. It makes me focus on the things I should do.
I'm sure that even professionals use stuff found on Google image search as placeholders from time to time. But using it in a released game is a bad idea unless you know for a fact that it was released under a free license, e.g. Creative Commons.
Yeah. Forgot to add that on my reply. I want to add that I have read somewhere that a few of them go around town to take photos for backgrounds. Not only it is free, but it can be safely released together with your game. Alternatively, if you do not want to show ordinary photos, you can or let somebody edit, animate, or create 3D models of the photos you captured.