Would you play a game without CGs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Would you play a game without CGs?

#16 Post by Asceai »

KittyKatStar wrote:I've played Save the Date which has no sprites or CGs and I still found it enjoyable thanks to the story and sheer determination to save the date.

So yea, as long as the premise sounds interesting and the story hooks me, I'd gladly play it. =)
I'm not sure whether Save the Date would count as no CGs or all CGs...

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#17 Post by KittyKatStar »

Asceai wrote:
KittyKatStar wrote:I've played Save the Date which has no sprites or CGs and I still found it enjoyable thanks to the story and sheer determination to save the date.

So yea, as long as the premise sounds interesting and the story hooks me, I'd gladly play it. =)
I'm not sure whether Save the Date would count as no CGs or all CGs...
It's all backgrounds, right? So, all BGs at least.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#18 Post by KomiTsuku »

Most people will still play it, but expect to hear a ton of "I wish it had CG" and "It would have been better with CG" comments at the end.

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#19 Post by Rosstin2 »

Cinders by Moacube didn't have any CGs and was amazing.

They had really good sprites, though.

I barely noticed there weren't any CGs. It only bugged me a bit when I got to some of the endings and was wishing I could see the MC in more contexts.

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#20 Post by SilverHyena »

Like everyone else, I like cgs, but if I'm interested enough in the game they do not need to be there for me to enjoy it.

One solution for your problem might be to go ahead and recruit several free artists and have them do a couple cgs each. That way it's not too much work and you still get your cgs. Of course, the art won't be uniform, but it's something to think about. The different art might bug some people, but it doesn't bug me. You don't have to do this of course. Just putting it out there in case it was something you didn't think of yet.

Also, the incentives you have planned already are pretty nice. Definitely enough of a reward to keep me playing. :D

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#21 Post by trooper6 »

I think the majority of VNs I've played *haven't* had CGs...so, I'm find with no CGs.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SyronicHero
Projects: Deathwish ~ A Magical Girl Morality Play
IRC Nick: SyronicHero (or Syr, as Syron is taken.)

#22 Post by SyronicHero »

If a VN lacks CGs*, it effectively becomes written fiction you scroll through on a computer program. (Or an audiobook, if you so incline.) To put it simply, your writing better be damned good, because there is no pretty sparkly art to stimulate your reader's interest and attention. At that level, weak or amateur writing is given less leeway, consciously or not.

If you're used to writing fiction the old-fashioned way, however, you're back on your element.

Would this "game" contain any actual gameplay (I'm not counting choices here)? Or is it a story?

If so, this begs the question: Why aren't you writing traditional fiction instead? You'll have a much more sizable audience there, for starters...

*(not sure if the definition of CGs encompasses all art or not, but OP mentioned a lack of artists)
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are."
Writer and Editor for Hire | Honest Critique

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#23 Post by Googaboga »

^A "CG" describes a still picture (normally used at the end of a game or during important/special/interesting scenes to spice things up) :>. The term doesn't encompass character sprites, background art, or other art assets like GUI, maps, items, etc. In pyopyon's case he/she doesn't have CGs as well as some other types of art assets. But there are still other types of visual assets used in the game.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#24 Post by chocojax »

I'm perfectly fine with a game with no CGs. If you didn't know, there's Umineko no Naku Koro ni, which had (which many people agree with, but it's still likeable) "bad" art and no CGs at all. :0

thewriterjm
Completed: None
Projects: Decision Three
Organization: Shift RE

#25 Post by thewriterjm »

A game without CGs is fine. Though, for the sake of offering a different opinion, CGs are important to be present in adult themed galges. CGs are the pinnacle features of adult games. But if it is just a regular dating sim, it is okay. And for the story, CG or no CG still requires you to have a good story. A game with a good CG but with a bad story is a bad game. A game with no CG but with a interesting story is always good. You can add them anyway in the later parts of your game development. Nobody will stop you on releasing a CG-less game first, and then releasing another one with them.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#26 Post by pyopyon »

Uhm, since this topic suddenly got lit up again, haha, I'll reply!
SyronicHero wrote:If a VN lacks CGs*, it effectively becomes written fiction you scroll through on a computer program. (Or an audiobook, if you so incline.) To put it simply, your writing better be damned good, because there is no pretty sparkly art to stimulate your reader's interest and attention. At that level, weak or amateur writing is given less leeway, consciously or not.

If you're used to writing fiction the old-fashioned way, however, you're back on your element.

Would this "game" contain any actual gameplay (I'm not counting choices here)? Or is it a story?

If so, this begs the question: Why aren't you writing traditional fiction instead? You'll have a much more sizable audience there, for starters...

*(not sure if the definition of CGs encompasses all art or not, but OP mentioned a lack of artists)
I just meant a lack of artists as far as CGs, the definition of which Googaboga kindly provided! (Thanks!) There are sprites (or at least an artist for them) and such, and there is a dress-up game involved, if that counts as non-choice gameplay, haha. In any case, I promise that my writing is good-- and I feel as though I should add that XOXO Academy is a fangame, so the people I'm making the game for are more likely interested in getting their chosen student to fall in love with them (since that student correlates to a member of a K Pop group.)

Basically, my meaning is that my target audience isn't exactly VN players, but I want the game to also be playable by them as well. Sort of all inclusive, haha. Does that makes any sense?
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Wissa
Regular

#27 Post by Wissa »

I guess the game aspect is more important than the visual aspect for most of the VN crowd. ?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#28 Post by trooper6 »

Wissa wrote:I guess the game aspect is more important than the visual aspect for most of the VN crowd. ?
I don't think that follows. The visual aspect of a visual novel is important to me...but visuals are not the same as CGs. One of the things that makes Cinders so great is its stunning visuals...the visuals are amazing. There are no CGs, though. But the sprites? The BGs? The GUI design? All of those visuals are top quality and I care about that quite a bit.

That said, I think the writing aspect is more important than the visual aspect for me. Great art with mediocre writing is not going to keep me engaged, while mediocre art with great writing will keep me engaged. Note: I made no mention of game play at all.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

lemonokashi
Regular

#29 Post by lemonokashi »

If you are looking for an artist I can do CGs for free. I have experience doing CGs for renpy games in the past. PLease take a look at my gallery if you are interested: http://lemonokashi.deviantart.com/gallery/

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#30 Post by pyopyon »

Sorry, guys, false alarm! There still won't be CGs. (The workload is still a lot and that person is young, haha.)

School and all that.

In any case, let the conversation commence, and thank you for your offer!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿