C++ freeware?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Eiji
Regular

C++ freeware?

#1 Post by Eiji »

ok guys.. if anyone has seen my other posts I"ve been toying with a game idea of my own that I plan on tinkering with while I get my degree in computer sciences starting (hopefully) this Winter quarter of 2004.

I think I'll be using the Torque engine for my game.. (in case you dont know what that is.. its the engine used in the game TRIBES 2.. and is currently available, as is, sans all the TRIBES code from garagegames.com) it should be easy to use once I learn how to work the code and my friend and me already have a licensed copy of it.. so another 100 bucks to add another project shouldnt be too hard to come by.

thing is. If I recall how C++ (which Torque is written in) works.. I"ll be in need of a C compiler... does anyone know where in cyberspace I can find a good, freeware one? (or low-cost shareware will do)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I would suggest MinGW32. It's free and it works ;)

http://www.lemmasoft.net/renai/Ren%27ai ... Links.html

Look under programming for the Dev-Cpp Resource site and other good stuff :)

Zero

#3 Post by Zero »

GCC, it's free software (free as in speach, not beer) http://www.gnu.org it's the best C/C++ compiler out there, one more thing, why waste money when there are perfectly good opensource engines available?
Crystal Space http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/
NeoEngine http://neoengine.sourceforge.net/
Last edited by Zero on Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eiji
Regular

#4 Post by Eiji »

one more thing, why waste money when there are perfectly good opensource engines available?
well.. because I'm going to involve a considerable amount of combat.. in fact the way the story is going along (which I'm going to finish first before I do anything else), I might end up with a "Final Fantasy" clone with Ren'Ai elements. Plus the maps in Torque should be very easy to make (it has the ability to generate terrain on the fly), and there's a whole community of ppl to help me on GarageGames.com.. plus I can sell the game without haveing to post the source code, thus protecting my "intellectual property" in the process.

though I will need some ability to program in C script, not C++ as I thought (thats only if I needed to hack the engine itself). As for now.. I think I'll see if I can find my buddy's old copies of Raydream and Bryce and see if I can make some scenes in CGI for now.. and maybe use a Poser model for people in the test phase.. and just use Allegro once I get to college (which I plan on by this Winter Quarter).

Eric
aka Master Eiji, the Cybermancer.

Zero

#5 Post by Zero »

Eiji wrote:plus I can sell the game without haveing to post the source code, thus protecting my "intellectual property" in the process.
That comment makes zero sense whatsoever, the LGPL, and GPL for that matter, don't force you to make data files freely available. And if you want a good combat oriented engine, why not one of the Quake ones? They have nice engines, freely available under the GPL, and guess what? Id is still selling the data files for a profit. Sorry if I seem like a jackass, it just really urks me when I see people assume GPL means that everything has to be free.

KOE
Regular

#6 Post by KOE »

The "free" in GPL means more like "free"dom of speech as opposed to "free" beer. GPL does requrie you to release all your source code under the GPL license, but that does not deprive you from making money off of it. Think of why Redhat earns soo much money while distributing their Linux for free? Most GPL programs get income off of charging for support, or more commonly accepting donations.

I think open source would be a good benefit for simply because open source has alot of supporters.. I seriously mean alot. One of the best ways to promote your game is placing it open source.

#7 Post by Guest »

There's also OpenWatcom which can be downloaded and used for free. They only chrge a small amount if somebody decides to purchase the CD.

http://www.openwatcom.org

I 'm using the old Watcom C++ 11.0c beta for some time now and I'm really satisfied with this compiler and especially the WDW debugger.