Are tags important?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
taroko525

Are tags important?

#1 Post by taroko525 »

I looked at the WIP and Completed games threads and noticed that most of the threads have "GxB", "BxG", "mystery", etc; tags and wonders how important those were.

I'm writing a story myself right now, but I am not yet sure which of these categories(?), genres my story falls. It is my first time working on a VN and is a complete beginner.

Looking for someone who can explain these in a simple and clear way.

Thank you :)

rakada
Regular

Re: Are tags important?

#2 Post by rakada »

gxb = girlx boy( main / player is a girl with guys in the game she can get with > doesn't have to get with them but the game focus would be on the girl interacting with guys

gxg girl x girl ( main / player is a girl with girls in the game she can get with > doesn't have to get with them but the game focus would be on the girl interacting with girls

bxg boy x girl ( main / player is a boy with girls in the game he can get with > doesn't have to get with them but the game focus would be on the boy interacting with girls

bxb boy x boy ( main / player is a boy with guys in the game he can get with > doesn't have to get with them but the game focus would be on the boy interacting with guys

"mystery" are detective games / you normally have to find out what happen murder or abandon town etc, think kinda like Sherlock homes

"romance" if there is romance in the game / if you player can normally get with one of the people in the game

"horror" if people die go missing or just shit be creepy as hell and the point is trying to scare you or be dark

'tragedy" someone bad happen in the game for example for romance you are a guy and you managed to get with the girl you like/love but in the end she dies in a car crash or sickness etc that be a tragedy

'slice of life' people doing every day life stuff that normally happen in game/ anime with people going to school each day and the things that happen or talk about in school ( think lucky days)

"sci fi" anything with space robot star ships visiting other planet or futuristic world < think star trek> < or bionic hearts> etc

"fantasy" magical place normally with magic, elves, dwarfs. etc with normally limited or no machines or technology but it not impossible to have some <think loran or long live the queen>

<comedy> normally light hearted story or plot that suppose to make people laugh or happy etc

try to make it as simple as possible if you have any other question just ask

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#3 Post by Michiyo6918 »

In my opinion the tags are quite important, almost as important as the title itself.

The tags can categorize your game among hundred other threads and pick the interest of the right group of audience. It just makes it a lot easier for others. Like people who have a thing for Mystery VN would be able to pin point right out your game if you have [Mystery] tag along side with your title. Same go with people who likes [BxB] or [Otome].

Though for me I just click on whatever new topic that appear in the Player's Pavillon despite whatever tag LMFAO
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Yes, a thousand times yes at least for me :) Similar to a demo or screenshots, tags make me want to play a game. Think of it as going into a bookstore. You have a craving for a good mystery but every book has the same cover (art/writing), no description to captivate or draw your attention (demo/screenshots/cool features and or plot), and everything is not sectioned off (tags aka genres).

It'd be a nightmare to navigate. All that said, don't let tags restrict you! Sometimes something as simple as a VN rather than KN label is enough for me. I think misleading tags are much worse than none at all ^^

Here's a list of some I remember from last year that got compiled http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=22504

Good luck with your game!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Hazel-Bun wrote:... Think of it as going into a bookstore. You have a craving for a good mystery but every book has the same cover (art/writing), no description to captivate or draw your attention (demo/screenshots/cool features and or plot), and everything is not sectioned off (tags aka genres). ... All that said, don't let tags restrict you!
Agreed. Use short, simple terms to describe your content. Consider words and phrases that summarize your story/game in relevant and complimentary ways. Keep in mind that it's impossible for a story to appeal to everyone... so think about how it will appeal to someone.

taroko525

#6 Post by taroko525 »

Great! Thank you for the replies.

I think my current project will fall in the slice of life category. ( ´∀`)

Really thank you very much.