Problem with Uploading

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dragon
Regular

Problem with Uploading

#1 Post by Dragon »

My games I upload to show where I am in my novel aren't acting, right. I mean, they work fine, but some of my friends can't see it for some reason. To unzip, they need Winzip, correct? Well anyway, I tried sending it to them by PM, but all it says is this, "this specified modecule could not be found. LoadLibrary (pythondll) failed" So, I'm wondering, do they need Winzip or is something wrong with my files? And if it is Winzip, how can they get it? They said, they can't download.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Problem with Uploading

#2 Post by DaFool »

I'm not sure if you can put attachments in PM.

The only subforum I know which is totally publicly viewable is the Completed Games section. I remember some forums, you have to be a registered member to see attachments, though I think that has been changed recently.

I think the same download.php problem is still present. When the popup window opens, save the file as a .zip (yes, rename it if needed). Then use Winzip to extract it.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Also make sure they unzip while preserving the directory structure (should be an option).

BellosTheMighty
Regular

#4 Post by BellosTheMighty »

Just e-mail it. Or failing that, rapidshare it.
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

Dragon
Regular

#5 Post by Dragon »

Rapidshare? What is that?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Nothing. Rapidshare does not exist, due to it being so annoying.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

BellosTheMighty
Regular

#7 Post by BellosTheMighty »

PyTom wrote:Nothing. Rapidshare does not exist, due to it being so annoying.
Heh. I keep hearing that, and frankly, I just don't see it. It's way less hassle then getting a website of your own, and a lot more benign then some of the file sharing sites out there. Their download limits can be obnoxious, but come on, you don't need that much crap in just a day.
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

I think the problem is that it moves the hassle off of you, and on to your users. That's a really rude thing to do. There are plenty of free web hosts out there (like google pages), and it's worth using one.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

#9 Post by Jake »

BellosTheMighty wrote:Their download limits can be obnoxious, but come on, you don't need that much crap in just a day.
Their download limits can be particularly obnoxious when they fail to notice that your ISP has a very small number of web proxies each shared between thousands of their clients, and insist on applying the download limit to those instead of individuals.

I don't bother checking Rapidshare links anymore because literally every single time I remember trying to download anything from there, they've told me that I've exceeded my download limit. MegaUpload I've had a little more luck with, but it's still flaky. Box.net (IIRC) is the one I've had the most success with, and I'm not sure why that isn't more popular than it is, since it's the least obnoxious I've seen.

But really, I second PyTom's comment. It's always less hassle to download something from a straight web host than something which makes you fill in CAPTCHAs or whatever, and it seems to me that it's usually going to be less hassle to FTP files up to such webspace, as well. I don't know how free hosts these days handle file upload, but I can't see it being worse than places like MegaUpload...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

well, the main reason people use those things is

1. they don't have paid webhosting and therefore can't upload anything over a certain size, because most freehosts will stop you at 200K last I looked
2. they want to be anonymous (Which isn't JUST because the file is illegal, sometimes there are legal things that you don't want easily traced back to you... but, well, usually)

There are less-flaky services for transferring large files between people who aren't trying to be anonymous. I've had artists use yousendit.com to transfer files that were too big to attach to email, but I'm not sure that service lets you put something for public download

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Box.net (IIRC) is the one I've had the most success with, and I'm not sure why that isn't more popular than it is, since it's the least obnoxious I've seen.
*pray* that it doesn't get popular :p... otherwise they'll have to put the same limitations as everywhere else and it'll become bad too ^^;

Btw, there's YouSendIt.com. You send from e-mail to e-mail.. the recipient receives a download link and voila. You can even cheat and give your e-mail as source and recipient if you don't want to give out your friends e-mails ;)... Then just copy the link from the e-mail you receive and anyone can use it.
*maybe* you to register at some point but I'm not sure (they've changed things a few times)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#12 Post by F.I.A »

Strangely enough, it is Rapidshare which is a more user-friendly to me. Megaupload and others tend to have this "Slot full" problem every time I tried downloading, that I promptly dismiss it.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)