How to justify the little sister route?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dream
Regular

Re: How to justify the little sister route?

#31 Post by Dream »

Man i have a sister too but i honestly don't see the point in getting worked up about what some guys decide to put into their visual novel.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#32 Post by Laiska »

Dream wrote:Man i have a sister too but i honestly don't see the point in getting worked up about what some guys decide to put into their visual novel.
Same here. The question of the topic wasn't really 'why incest' but 'how do I make this particular plot element interesting'. Not a whole lot of point in debating why anyone would like an incest plot at all, or why incest happens (that's fodder for another forum, I'm sure). People like what they like.

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#33 Post by Chocopyro »

When it comes to writing things for a story, you can't really be squeamish about subjects that are normally social taboo if its a central theme to the story. Even if its something you are kind of iffy about yourself. You as a writer shouldn't feel the need to justify it. That's up to the characters. Hope that helps.

As for how to go about it, I don't think I've seen amnesia come up a lot in sibling routes. (Then again, having an identical twin brother and a lot of rabid yaoi fans in my circle of friends kinda makes me apprehensive when it comes to pursuing incest routes in general, so yeah.) So I guess it could be a fairly interesting experience for the player to find out this girl was actually his sister all along. Kinda like what happened to Luke Skywalker. XD

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#34 Post by MaiMai »

Dream wrote:Man i have a sister too but i honestly don't see the point in getting worked up about what some guys decide to put into their visual novel.
Squick aside, for me it's, "Oh my god, AGAIN??" I'm pretty sure I could name at least five if not more anime/manga/VN media that uses the trope. But like Laiska said, it's about trying to make that angle interesting instead of retreading the same ground which is pretty difficult at this point.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

dmasterxd
Regular
Completed: Mage Wars
Projects: Falling Star
Organization: Star Guide

#35 Post by dmasterxd »

Hey guys thanks for your help on this. And even though I've already decided what I'm gonna do, you've all helped me decide how I'm gonna do it. (especially Michiyo6918). So I guess I'll tell you guys why I want/need the incest route in my VN.

1. Pretty much to show that forbidden love is still love.

2. I have an idea in this route where the bromantic foil/comic relief can play a large role in. So he won't just be there so the protagonist has a guy friend.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#36 Post by trooper6 »

I was going to recommend checking out some of the more popular incest-y Western works like the Flowers in the Attic series or The Blue Lagoon and observe how they deal with the topic (usually through the pair being isolated together and creating an intense bond through some sort of external hardship)...but then I realized you are probably going for Japanese anime tropes...so I suppose I don't have that many suggestions after all.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#37 Post by Rosstin2 »

Laiska wrote:
Same here. The question of the topic wasn't really 'why incest' but 'how do I make this particular plot element interesting'. Not a whole lot of point in debating why anyone would like an incest plot at all, or why incest happens (that's fodder for another forum, I'm sure). People like what they like.
You're right, Laiska.