Kickstarting Your Visual Novel (How to Kickstarter Video!?)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Kickstarting Your Visual Novel (How to Kickstarter Video

#16 Post by DaFool »

People say it's the Exogenesis pitch video.

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

#17 Post by Shoko »

Make a trailer for your game and show that first. It's really annoying to see a cast and crew give me their life story before I even know what they're making. Make your game's intentions clear, have it look the best it can be and make sure others can see why money is necessary or how it plans to improve your idea.

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#18 Post by Rosstin »

What do you guys think of the vid we ended up with?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... en-at-arms

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#19 Post by sasquatchii »

asterazul wrote:What do you guys think of the vid we ended up with?

I thought it was really great! (And although I was already planning on backing the project before, it got me even more excited to be a backer)

Unrelated - but I love how awesome you've all been about updating. I especially enjoyed Megan's little blurb about herself, and can relate :)

I have 2 teeny gripes with the video- and they're nitpicky.

The first is that Megan is how Megan's just chilling in some dimly lit room, with some very incandescent lighting. And I know this is such a small thing, but, to me, you guys are making this super awesome, professional quality video game, and I think your kickstarter video should reflect that. You don't have to rent fancy expensive cameras or anything, but having her move outside or to a well lit area with natural light would look 1000x better.

Also, I would have liked to see other members from the team talk in the video. Even if it's just them saying something quick like "Hi, I'm _____, and I worked on ______." I think there are a lot of people here that have enjoyed participating in the WIP thread, playing the demo, & giving input. The best part of all of this is being able to interact with you guys, and it would have been cool to see more of the team.
ImageImage

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#20 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I think Kendo Crush had a pretty convincing video: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... novel-game

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#21 Post by Rosstin »

sasquatchii wrote:
asterazul wrote:What do you guys think of the vid we ended up with?

I thought it was really great! (And although I was already planning on backing the project before, it got me even more excited to be a backer)

Unrelated - but I love how awesome you've all been about updating. I especially enjoyed Megan's little blurb about herself, and can relate :)

I have 2 teeny gripes with the video- and they're nitpicky.

The first is that Megan is how Megan's just chilling in some dimly lit room, with some very incandescent lighting. And I know this is such a small thing, but, to me, you guys are making this super awesome, professional quality video game, and I think your kickstarter video should reflect that. You don't have to rent fancy expensive cameras or anything, but having her move outside or to a well lit area with natural light would look 1000x better.

Also, I would have liked to see other members from the team talk in the video. Even if it's just them saying something quick like "Hi, I'm _____, and I worked on ______." I think there are a lot of people here that have enjoyed participating in the WIP thread, playing the demo, & giving input. The best part of all of this is being able to interact with you guys, and it would have been cool to see more of the team.
Ahaha, as the producer I agree but the team is sooooo shy! We struggled to make the video because poor Serenity had an emergency right before we shot it, and Meagan was kind enough to overcome her shyness and step up.

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#22 Post by Lumella »

Your resources are a great help!

I agree with sasquatchii's comment! The video's good, but it could do some work when it comes to the introduction of the character. Maybe changing the way the font are aligned for the character's name would improve it as well. Also, the alignment of the sprite's closeup, maybe you can raise it up a bit. Try studying about design elements and principles c: It will help you a lot c:

I wish you the best of luck in your game!
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active