Colors or Poses?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

Colors or Poses?

#1 Post by Nafai »

I loathe coloring.

Well... if it involves me doing the coloring that is. Still, if I applied myself, I suppose I might learn some rudimentary coloring techniques and level up from black-and-white artist to technicolor artist (or at least Red-Blue-Yellow-Green artist). Still, I'm under no illusions that even then coloring would take a lot of time.

Which brings me to my question really: would you guys prefer a game in full color but less poses/expressions/CGs, or black and white with more poses/expressions/CGs?

I'm leaning towards the latter, with color saved for the title screen/endings, but I thought Id inquire on the boards as well...

Thanks!

Ren

Re: Colors or Poses?

#2 Post by Ren »

I loved Sore ja, mata ne, so i guess that yes;I can live without coloring^_^

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Manga-style: lots of poses, coloring is in the form of dots / tones, or even plain bw or grayscale.

That would work really, really well.

However, if you don't do it manga-style, I'm not sure it would work that well either.

The game would just look, well... black and white.

Now that could be the atmosphere (see Garden Society Kykuit and Gakuen Redux), but what if your story is not really fitted for the black n white treatment?

Colors impact the atmosphere tremendously. Big, bold colors for active, dynamic works; soft, gradient shadows for for gentle pieces; pastels and watercolor for shoujo; minimal use of color for introspective or bleak tales.

If this is concerning a certain dynamic project you announced... well, it's your decision. Note that big, bold colors are actually the simplest to do (Floodfill!!!).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Same concern as DaFool : if it's for *the* project... it might make things dull.
But otherwise, hey, after all, that's how mangas are :)... but it's true that if it's purely black & white, then it might lack something. There needs to be some shading of sorts and some gray "coloring" I guess?
And if you're "coloring" that way, especially with a computer... I'm not sure you're spending less time than if you went with actual colors :)

dreamer

#5 Post by dreamer »

I don't mind black and white. Depends on how it's presented.

simple solution for pseudo-shaded black and white: Shade your pencil drawings, scan in, then adjust levels in photoshop till it looks good, trace the lines with the pen if you want.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I'm actually not a fan of pencils-only. IMO, in black and white, you really need to ink it, and to do so using big regions of black... artistically black and white is not the absence of color.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nafai
Veteran

#7 Post by Nafai »

*boggles*

Well, I initially wasn't asking for the Elect but for my Persona-inspired "small" project instead, but it looks like I might have to revisit my "black and white" schema for the former, considering the opinions expressed here (Ren being the exception). Or, worse comes to worse, release it as a black and white and then beg for a colorist after :P

For the "small" project though, maybe I'll try experimenting with basic color, and see if that works out ^_^ Since I just got a wacom (cheer) that'll be easier than before... still painstaking for someone who used to exclaim "Between the lines? That's bo-ring!" but doable perhaps :)

Thanks guys!

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#8 Post by F.I.A »

I am one guy who hates coloring, especially when I know that it is not my best part.

One thing I learn when working on Winter Shard is that it is highly suggested to prepare a palette of colours to allow a quick color swapping to minimize time consumption. It will not help much, but at least it does "help" giving me an illusion it is helping me alot. :lol:

As to answer your question, I am one guy who prefer colored stuff. Practically because the color does help to bring out the characters. But I am also a guy who like varieties in poses, but I will take color in priority.
Nafai wrote:Well, I initially wasn't asking for the Elect but for my Persona-inspired "small" project instead.
Hmm... so, I get to date a Lilim or Pixie? :P
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Nafai
Veteran

#9 Post by Nafai »

*laughs* No I don't think I'm going to go as far as demon dating... I think :P

Free Time Machine
Regular

#10 Post by Free Time Machine »

Hey, plenty of artists work with a colorist. Post help wanted in recruitment and I'm sure you'd get some takers. I might even think about it if I saw a sample of the art.
"HOLD ON TIGHT" ~ Outfits and expressions, where art thou? And why does Elsa's face look so awful??? *bangs head in*

Everytime you delete a traceback, someone else gets it. -PyTom