Where would I post about people I've commissioned?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

Where would I post about people I've commissioned?

#1 Post by briannavon »

Note : I am not sure if I mentioned this before...

Anyway, on Deviantart I have commissioned some really great artists who are quick and have very good prices! The problem is I feel slightly guilty because they deserve much, much more than I give them and are new to visual novel sprite making. So I wanted to make a list of artists I commission so someone here can offer them better prices.

So the question is, where would I put this list?
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Where would I post about people I've commissioned?

#2 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I think that the artists themselves usually make a recruitment thread and the people who have commissioned them already leave feedback.

People who are looking for an artist will be checking the recruitment threads first.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by briannavon »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:I think that the artists themselves usually make a recruitment thread and the people who have commissioned them already leave feedback.

People who are looking for an artist will be checking the recruitment threads first.
OK. I guess I will just ask them to use lemmasoft!

Still, I do think a list of good people to commission would be great. As long as people agree, would could put them on the list and it would have examples of their art, as well as an email to contact them (so incase the thread they make gets pushed back, people can still find out about them).

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

There have been discussion about that before, but there is always one problem. If you aren't on the list that everyone checks, your chances of getting hired are much lower. It's not really fair to artists who want to do their first commissions.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by briannavon »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:There have been discussion about that before, but there is always one problem. If you aren't on the list that everyone checks, your chances of getting hired are much lower. It's not really fair to artists who want to do their first commissions.
Yeah. Maybe it could have a part that says "Pending" for new commission people. The Pending would be for people who have done 0-2 commissions.

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#6 Post by Evolution »

I believe what TrickWithAKnife is saying is that if there were some sort of resource where people could search through a list of potential artists, it might become more difficult for "new" artists -- that is, artists who are either just starting out with commissions or who are new to this forum -- to gain customers if they are not already on the list. Provided that the list became prevalent enough that most folks came to rely on it, that is.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with this. There are many potential resources for locating artists. Even if there was a list somewhere indicating artists that people have had success with in the past, I don't believe that'd make project leads less likely to search elsewhere, too. For my part, I always look a number of places when attempting to recruit artists for projects. There are, after all, lots of factors to consider. The list would just be one additional place I can look.

nerdy
Regular

#7 Post by nerdy »

Edit : Never mind.
Visit My Game Company Blog (No Posts Yet) :

http://art-and-games.blogspot.com/

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by briannavon »

@Evolution :

I know. That is why there would be a "pending" part for those who had done 0 commissions. For even newer artists, I think people will still look at them if they are not on the list (because not everyone can afford a wonderful renown artist like Deji, who I hope does not mind me mentioning her because her prices are very good, but I know a bunch of people could still use some more inexpensive art)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#9 Post by SundownKid »

You can always put a list of recommended artists on your site or something. But in general it's the artist's responsibility to advertise their work and search for work. If their stuff is quality, they will certainly get commissions if they advertise well. Of course you can tell your friends about the artist personally and get them work that way.