What's your ideal/dream game dev partnership?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

What's your ideal/dream game dev partnership?

#1 Post by Razz »

I thought this might be a cool thread and get some fun answers; what is your ideal/dream partnership when it comes to working with people? And feel free to be totally unrealistic if you want(like someone makes you 120 AAA-quality backgrounds for free, or volunteer cheerleaders help with moral). It's a dream collab!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: What's your ideal/dream game dev partnership?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

For expensive, yet not unfeasible ideas:

1) An expert RPG programmer-slash-game designer who would be able to design and implement an awesome game based on my story and art.
2) An anime animator so I could create animated characters, backgrounds and cutscenes.

For pie in the sky ideas:

3) A Hollywood studio or cable TV network, create a movie/game crossover based on my series.
4) A theme park, make my game playable in real life!

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

SundownKid wrote:1) An expert RPG programmer-slash-game designer who would be able to design and implement an awesome game based on my story and art.
i'll do it

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SundownKid »

Asceai wrote:
SundownKid wrote:1) An expert RPG programmer-slash-game designer who would be able to design and implement an awesome game based on my story and art.
i'll do it
Thanks for the offer, though if you were thinking I was talking about a Ren'py RPG, I actually mean a turn based or action RPG in the SNES style. And before I would think of partnering with someone, they would need to have a finished game (well, preferably an RPG) as an example of their work. If you do have that, I would definitely be willing to talk further.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Asceai »

SundownKid wrote:
Asceai wrote:
i'll do it
Thanks for the offer, though if you were thinking I was talking about a Ren'py RPG, I actually mean a turn based or action RPG in the SNES style. And before I would think of partnering with someone, they would need to have a finished game (well, preferably an RPG) as an example of their work. If you do have that, I would definitely be willing to talk further.
Probably not then. My last project was a console-style pure RPG and I'm interested in doing a VN RPG now.

Anyway, going back to the topic of the thread, my dream is to work with Papillon on an 18th century magical girl VN RPG otome game with a time loop. Of all the reasons to like ChuSinGura46+1, one of the things I loved was how the protagonist became stronger with each iteration of the loop and I'd love to show that sort of progression, with a protagonist becoming more (magically) powerful, more capable of reading and manipulating other characters...

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#6 Post by KittyKatStar »

I felt I already experienced my dream game dev partnership when I worked on Autumn's Journey with Aro, Nellie, Deji, and Mori. It was super fun, everyone was motivated, we threw around ideas, and everyone had a role to fulfill.

So just getting to have another Apple Cider-like session would probably be my dream partnership. Or being able to work in close proximity with Lore, Auro, Sakevisual, Sapphi, PyTom, Azure, Nellie, Aro, etc. Doesn't even have to be on the same project, but being in a same physical office or something. See the creativity, joke around, binge on green tea lattes. ^^

I guess a super super dream partnership would be able to have an animator on the team. And someone who can design a RPG system similar to Atelier. That'd be pretty awesome.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#7 Post by ketskari »

My daydream list includes:

1. 2.5D animation capabilities within Ren'Py (or an engine just as accessible with 2.5D capabilities)
2. A rigger who knows how 2D animation works in Blender (my absolute least favorite part) and who hopefully also knows how to make 3D models that could be used for light, set and prop reference.

EDIT: Also, I originally wrote "a co-writer" but erased it since that seemed more likely to happen than the other two things on my wishlist. xD

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Asceai »

ketskari wrote:2.5D animation capabilities within Ren'Py (or an engine just as accessible with 2.5D capabilities)
I don't really understand. Isn't 2.5D animation just done through translation and scaling? Ren'Py can surely do all that already. I guess it still lacks 4-point deformation, but that seems to be lesser used in 2.5D examples.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Yeah, I think you might mean 3D animation capabilities. Ren'py can already do parallax, and even simulate a 3D background using pre-rendered video or animations.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#10 Post by ketskari »

Asceai wrote:
ketskari wrote:2.5D animation capabilities within Ren'Py (or an engine just as accessible with 2.5D capabilities)
I don't really understand. Isn't 2.5D animation just done through translation and scaling? Ren'Py can surely do all that already. I guess it still lacks 4-point deformation, but that seems to be lesser used in 2.5D examples.
SundownKid wrote:Yeah, I think you might mean 3D animation capabilities. Ren'py can already do parallax, and even simulate a 3D background using pre-rendered video or animations.
Sorry for the confusion. I have seen the term 2.5D used several times in relation to 3D characters on 2D backdrops. I think I first saw it on the WinterMute engine site. Essentially, yes, I would like to be able to use 3D to animate 2D planes.

2dt
Regular

#11 Post by 2dt »

I've always wanted to have like a slick vacation house that I and my partners gather at frequently, basically using a nice house as a studio. It would have plush couches, air conditioning, fast internet, great amenities, fridge stocked with delicious food, close to the beach or other relaxation hot spot.

In the living room, there would be several whiteboards and monitors that help facilitate active discussion about whatever it is we're creating. There would also be a soundproof audio room somewhere in the house as well.

There would be bedrooms for quick naps, massage chairs, and stuff. Large garage parking as well (big city, so parking is an important consideration)

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#12 Post by Razz »

2dt wrote:I've always wanted to have like a slick vacation house that I and my partners gather at frequently, basically using a nice house as a studio. It would have plush couches, air conditioning, fast internet, great amenities, fridge stocked with delicious food, close to the beach or other relaxation hot spot.
Haha, this would kind of be mine too. Getting together in one room to make a game, being able to communicate and see what each other are doing right there, rather than talking over the internet. It would be like japan makes manga haha.

My other dream partnership is the other person has 100% done scripts of amazing short games all ready to go, I only have to do the art and I get to draw all day. :mrgreen: Sounds simple but it's rarer than you'd think.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#13 Post by Gear »

Wow, this is a cool topic. Let's see, I'd kill to have a well-lit house with lots of windows, but also lots of wall-sized 80's-esque mirrors for markerboarding. And those COWs (Computers on Wheels) that I think I read Valve uses so you can slide around all over the place to wherever you want to work. And a really talented composer. Music has to be the hardest thing to get for me. Oh, and a completely funded Kickstarter to work from. XD
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#14 Post by Shinoki »

My ideal would be...
A bunch of AKB wota that write fanfiction...
And...I guess, having at least two good free artists -- well, there are a good number within those fans
And a music pro who'll do it for free~
[Lol, I would love to work with Akimoto Yasushi and all the actual girls...but that ain't even close to possible.]
(I doubt anyone gets what I'm talking about :p)

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#15 Post by Tempus »

• To have a small team of 1 - 2 others with similar interests and goals. Preferably each member would be skilled and knowledgeable in multiple areas that compliment the other team members. In an ideal world we'd be developing something philosophically oriented and character focused.
  • To not need to support myself with unrelated work. I enjoy doing commissions, but it takes away time from developing my own ideas. Though on the plus side it does mean I create things I might not usually create.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)