Survey on Visual Novel games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Survey on Visual Novel games

#16 Post by azureXtwilight »

First will be premise. If you have a visual novel with a ctulhu riding a dragon while simultaneously bring world peace I am in.
Second will be story and characters. If you have bland, two dimensional characters that people can't connect to you will lose me.
Third will be art. I am pretty much open to many kinds of art so it's not an issue for me.
Gameplay comes last, since too much and too difficult gameplay will lose me after all. If I want to play an RPG, I'll play an RPG, not a VN,

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

#17 Post by dreamy »

For VNs, the first thing I'll be looking for is the plot. An interesting plot synopsis and story flow is what will keep my interest throughout the VN.
Interesting characters is a must-if I can't empathise with the characters the VN will be pretty bland for me.
I also like music to accompany the VN, nice and catchy music which fits the situation can really change my mood so it will be fun to hear some music throughout the VN
I'm not so picky about the art but I do admit that it counts. As long as it's nice to look at I won't lose interest.
Plus points!
+Voice acting- I don't really care if their are voices or nor but good voice acting can enchance the game and saves me some reading heh!
+ Gameplay- Puzzles and RPG elements will be nice but it should add meaning as to why it's there. It also cannot be too difficult. Although even the simple "choosing choices" will be enough.
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

#18 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Well, if I had to say it'd have to be unique.
The story can't be over done, of course, and it has to have a fluid story line(sounds natural).
For the art I prefer it to be done in a style that you can relate to the game it self or genre of story and the art good enough that when you're playing it you don't have to ask yourself 'Why do they even have art?'
And as for the games I'm fine with or without but, if it does have mini-games they should be as good as the story, where you know someone actually worked on it.
So basically it has to be unique, unique and then even more unique!
In that sense I am too picky.
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)