Looking for an Android text editor

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

Looking for an Android text editor

#1 Post by cosmo »

Hey…
I am currently working on a Ren'Py story with someone who is often bound to an Android device.

I would just like to ask if anyone of you has tips for a suitable app. My co-worker currently started to use the Jota Text Editor. Which has at least UTF-8 support and also supports longer texts…

Indentation and maybe even syntax highlighting would be great though! :roll:

Any ideas?

Zenithal

Re: Looking for an Android text editor

#2 Post by Zenithal »

One great app which supports not only Python, but also most other main programming languages, is DroidEdit. It has both indentation and syntax highlighting. One downside is that the free version has adds.

Then there's also QEdit, I actually prefer this one to DroidEdit. The UI in DroidEdit is slightly better, but QEdit has no adds. You could also get QPython, which includes QEdit, but also has other functions, like the ability to compile and run the code on your android device. Though of course, if you're going to put the code in Ren'Py, then you won't have much use for the compiling option.

If you're only interested in writing Python, and the code you write will be for use in Ren'Py, then you should probably get QEdit.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3 Post by Asceai »

I second DroidEdit, except get the pro version. It's pretty cheap and worth it.
Jota is nice for general writing, though (while DroidEdit is more for programming). Writing a Ren'Py script is probably somewhere in between those. Either would do.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#4 Post by cosmo »

Thank you very much, Zenithal and Asceai!
Good and helpful input! :)

I passed the info on to my co-worker and am now hoping for a creativity boost of course! :)
Good tools are indeed helpful and needed :)