All About Sequels, Remakes, Uncut Versions

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: All About Sequels, Remakes, Uncut Versions

#46 Post by Wintermoon »

Unless the game is about sex (i.e. a yaruge), I'd rather see the sex scenes as an unlockable extra or a separate download. It doesn't bother me that they exist or that they are included in the download, but I consider them a distraction when I am focused on the story (and conversely, I consider the story a distraction when I am focused on the sex).

When I play a story-based eroge, I tend to skip past the sex scenes. Sometimes I later get back to them if they are placed in a gallery. Other times I don't.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#47 Post by monele »

But don't bishoujo anime tend to attract some younger viewers who then discover it's based on some game, then they look for torrents of that game, download and play, then scream bloody murder when they get to the H-scenes? I've read reports of cases like those.
Well, apply that to your future game. Young viewers who discover the H option and are curious *will* turn it on when they can. And if you put a separate H version on the web, young viewers who discover their Teen version has a parallel Adult version *will* look for it and fa-- err... scream bloody murder e_e;...

Let's put it this way : if I was still 16 years old, I would download the H version :P. So the only reason you'd want to hide H is for legal reasons.

I also don't really like the idea of having "parallel worlds" of sorts, one with happeh people and one with lusty ones (*exagerating on purpose*). Why not just real people? You see them in movies everyday... many characters, heroes, *must* have sex, right?... but they don't show it on screen because it doesn't bring anything to the current story... and, let's admit it, in our current society, I think there's still a big separation between sex and everything else. Sex is private, so you don't freely show it on screen.
I wouldn't like to see sex in Indiana Jones... it'd be "wtf" inducing. And when I'm playing H games with a story, at times I'll want the story and at times I'll want the H. Either I dread the H scenes because they prevent me from getting more story, or I'll be droolingly expecting them. It's so dependant on the mood ^^;... That's why the option idea appeals to me.

But in the end, I admit I'm confused... and not so sure even that would work ^^;...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#48 Post by DaFool »

Solid yaruge it is, then. 8)

I still want to write a Teen romance, but I'm afraid I've gotten too much life experience... it'll be hard to write in an innocent and idealistic fashion when one has become jaded, frank, and cynical. That's probably why I like animated romances compared to live action romances -- the cookie-cutter characters seem to be better at portraying that innocence. Then again, most of those stories involve being indecisive and even at the end you're still not sure whether they're really together or not. If I was the writer, I'd just go "Just do it already."

Eiji
Regular

#49 Post by Eiji »

DaFool wrote:You can have Asuka Langley star as a magical girl, but you can't have Sherlock Holmes become a mecha pilot or he will cease to be Sherlock Holmes)
heh.. I"ve seen similar arguments in the case of The Doctor (the Time Lord from the BBC series "Doctor Who")
I read some printed "commentary" from the story "Rememberance of the Daleks".. and several times it said the orginal script was re-done because the director kept thinking that the Doctor wasnt the kind of person to use actual weapons... (unless you count a sonic screwdriver as a weapon)
"Who's the more foolish? the Fool? or the Fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

"if you could tune into the fantasy life of a 9 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this buisness" -- George Lucas

BellosTheMighty
Regular

#50 Post by BellosTheMighty »

Eiji wrote:
DaFool wrote:You can have Asuka Langley star as a magical girl, but you can't have Sherlock Holmes become a mecha pilot or he will cease to be Sherlock Holmes)
heh.. I"ve seen similar arguments in the case of The Doctor (the Time Lord from the BBC series "Doctor Who")
I read some printed "commentary" from the story "Rememberance of the Daleks".. and several times it said the orginal script was re-done because the director kept thinking that the Doctor wasnt the kind of person to use actual weapons... (unless you count a sonic screwdriver as a weapon)
This was presumably BEFORE he could Chain Lightning Cybermen once a day? ^_^

The Doctor, in any case, may be a special case since he regenerates into a new personality every so often- so it can really be hard to get a bead on him. Not to mention, 25 years and a host of different writers, things are going to get muddled.

As for ol' Sherlock- wasn't there a western animated series that cast him as a time traveller in the 22nd century or something?
----
"Yes, ninety percent would never get finished, and ninety percent of the rest would suck. That's the way it always works. That's how you get stuff that kicks ass." -Andrew Plotkin

Eiji
Regular

#51 Post by Eiji »

BellosTheMighty wrote: As for ol' Sherlock- wasn't there a western animated series that cast him as a time traveller in the 22nd century or something?
actually I HAVE seen a few episodes of that.... he was "time shifted" from the past and he has a android "watson"....its not half bad if theres nothing else to watch....
"Who's the more foolish? the Fool? or the Fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

"if you could tune into the fantasy life of a 9 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this buisness" -- George Lucas