Archive Site

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#46 Post by papillon »

Considering that your link button says 'free', does this mean no shareware/demos? The official requirements/FAQ doesn't seem to say.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#47 Post by musical74 »

I might be a bit late in responding to this but here goes...

H games: I think it's OK to have H games on the site as long as there is a Ren'ai element, and that it revolves around the ren'ai element...the various simdate games are not acceptable because there isn't any story involved...Season of Sakura is a good example of what's good about the H game...yes there are H scenes but they are at the end of the game...you spend the game trying to win a given girl, and your responses and actions affect how the various girls respond to you.

text-only games - again, so long as there is a ren'ai element involved...certain text-based games were GREAT <Zork!> so as long as there is a story involved I'm not against it.

Flash/Shockwave games: hmmmmm....kind of against this one because the various flash or shockwave games I have played don't have much in the way of a story - or none at all...if you can find a good one with a story I wouldn't be against it.

*has seen Sai's sumblimial messages and tries to resist them....must resist....must resist...*
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Tage
Regular

#48 Post by Tage »

I'm thinking maybe I should make my first game in HTML/JavaScript anyway just to show it can be done... ha (the only drawback is a very poor save feature if you want to go to the trouble of making one, lol)

As for your question, it really depends on how original you mean. If there are borrowed characters set in their borrowed world, it could still be quite fun (kind of like fan fictions). I wouldn't be against something like that as long as the game mentions where they were borrowed from and/or who created them. If you like their characters so much, why not give proper respect to the person/people who created them? =)

RedSlash
Veteran

#49 Post by RedSlash »

I don't see why flash/shockwave should be excluded since it itself can be a development platform for games. However, it should be evaulated with the same criteria as all the other stuff that goes up too, that is it must contain story, etc.. and its not like some quest to get free xxx.

As for original works, I agree that the archive should be limited to original works but not limited to fan-fiction. That is, if the person composed it using ripped images, etc.. those should not be allowed. But if the person composed it themselves (that is, the work is original), effectively making "fan-fiction", I would allow those.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#50 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:I'll just have to make sure to put a big-fat "Text-Based Only" notice for mikey. ;)
Heh, well, you will probably be able to guess from the screenshot, so just a teeny-weeny remark is fine :D
eclipse wrote:H/Flash/Text-based games
I've read through the FAQ and I must say "significant ren'ai content" is well phrased, so that it excludes the mindless pieces and I'd agree with RedSlash that it comes down to the content of the game, even if it were a simple .swf, although an .exe is a more sophisticated way of presenting your work.
eclipse wrote:Btw, should we limit the games to actual original works?
Original characters, well what I think is that the game really should be original. Though I'd love to (and perhaps I will) make a game where there would be a cameo by say.. oh... this is a hard one... let me think... Misato Katsuragi :D I think we WILL see anime-based games, fan-fic games so to say in the future, and it isn't really a bother (well, it is to me, as I won't be able to appreciate to 100% the ongoing YYH and Inuyasha projects once they are completed, because I don't know anything about the anime series they are from... *sigh*) :? Also, I'd state that it is a *insert series name*-based game. Other than that, RedSlash sums it up nicely.
eclipse wrote:Once we get to the point where we have a lot of games archived, we'll reconsider subclassing games but for now, I'd like to keep it simple.
I agree, let's let it take its flow for now.
papillon wrote:Considering that your link button says 'free', does this mean no shareware/demos?
It seems not, I'd definitely say it means no shareware though. Thinking back about the original idea, the site was made to archive from-fans-for-fans games. Hmmm...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#51 Post by rioka »

Re Papillon> We only archive completed games. No demos. That's why we haven't listed Untouched, Town Heat, and other demo games.

The site has been updated with some behind-the-scenes improvement - courtesy of PyTom. Also, The PK Girl is now available for download! ^_^

Btw, PyTom and I have agreed on letting folks edit the mascot image on the upper-left side of the site with their own characters. The image will rotate among the various mascot contributions submitted to us. If you would like to send in an original character, please use the templates below:

Renai Archive Template, png file (16KB), or if you prefer...
Renai Archives Template, psd file (88KB)

Just move your image below the top layer and edit to how you would like your character to appear. Your image must be in RGB mode, not indexed or greyscale. Please save finished image as a gif file.

Result sample:

#52 Post by Guest »

I have taken a look at the new archive (I am lurking on this forum :roll: ), and it looks good. Great work!

One suggestion (which is why I am writting this post :wink: ): How about making the small picture associated with each game clickable, and linking to a bigger version? I think many people would be interested to take a quick peek at what the game looks like... At a sensible resolution...

Icekiss
Regular

#53 Post by Icekiss »

That guests are lurking is obvious :roll:
Was me...
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#54 Post by mikey »

Well, the makers' pages usually have that (not mine though :twisted: ), and an archive site is an archive, not a promo site (I like that about the renai.us project), nevertheless, if you will need some screenshots and don't want to make them yourselves, I can supply them, a post within this topic is all that it takes.

I like the improved layout, although perhaps the font is too big (even with 1024x768).

The other thing that I'd like to know is (if you can tell) how long this board will remain within renai.us - I already updated the links on my page. Hopefully Blue Lemma gets his bandwith troubles sorted out. 8)

Grey
Veteran

#55 Post by Grey »

Hust on a sidenote, woah, Mikey, I just took a look at your games encyclopedia site, and I'm impressed at the sheer amount of work that must have gone into it :shock: I can't see a workload-reducing php script in sight and there are thousands of pages.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#56 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote: I like the improved layout, although perhaps the font is too big (even with 1024x768).
Hm... It should be taking the default font size from your web browser.
The other thing that I'd like to know is (if you can tell) how long this board will remain within renai.us - I already updated the links on my page. Hopefully Blue Lemma gets his bandwith troubles sorted out. 8)
Well, I'm willing to provide space for the forums for as long as he wants me too, to keep this valueable resource alive.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#57 Post by papillon »

Was talking about *shareware* demos of completed games, not works-in-progress. I didn't expect the answer to be yes and don't need hosting anyway, I'm just pointing out that the FAQ doesn't clearly say 'no commercial projects' on it anywhere, so you might want to add it to the list. :)

(checks) Well, it does say no demos now. Guess that's probably clear enough.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#58 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Aww, why don't you put on commercial projects and demos? ^^
After all, the native English ren'ai game development environment is still much too small...and much too young...to be limited to this!
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#59 Post by PyTom »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:Aww, why don't you put on commercial projects and demos? ^^
I think the general idea here is to minimize the disappointment of users. It's not all that fun to play a demo game that is never released as a full game, so that's out. (IMO, anyway.)

As for demos of commercial games, there's two cases. If the company is extant, then it should have no problem hosting the demo itself. There's plenty of cheap web hosting out there, and you can use coral to mirror if you want. OTOH, if the company is nonexistent, then the demo is orphaned, and people will be disappointed that they can't get the full game.

These are just my thoughts, anyway. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#60 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Would you be able to host a "demo" of my project if it is slated for commercialization, provided that it has a satisfactory ending to it? (I am not going to leave people hanging...that much)
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=