Anyone here know Chinese?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
themocaw
Regular

Anyone here know Chinese?

#1 Post by themocaw »

Random question: in Japanese, "Dancing Girl" is "Odoriko." How does one say "dancing girl" in Mandarin Chinese?

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

Re: Anyone here know Chinese?

#2 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

I would assume 舞蹈女 (wu3 dao4 nv3), but I don't know a whole lot of Mandarin. I'd wait for one of the native Chinese speakers here. I'd like to see if I was right.

EDIT: Upon further investigation, 舞女 (wu3 nv3) or 舞娘 (wu3 niang2) may be better choices. They're more concise, and probably used more often. Isn't Chinese fun?

magi
Special Project Artist
Projects: Hanafuda Club, Infinity Rain

#3 Post by magi »

" 舞女 " and " 舞娘 " carries the connotation of being a striper or exotic dancer rather then someone who just dances sometimes. Unless it has very specific context, its usually assumed that it is considered to be noun and as a profession rather then someone who just dances.

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#4 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

So would that mean "舞蹈女" would be better for "a girl who dances," or is there a different word for it?

I'm learning! :D

magi
Special Project Artist

#5 Post by magi »

Depends on the context, I suppose, that could be appropriate. I am not at my own computer right now, so I can't type Chinese. But rather then using "verb"+"noun" shorthand, I think it might be more appropriate if its phrased as "the girl that dances"(?), although it still depends on the context that it is used in. In Chinese, the word "jump" uses put before the word " 舞 " usually signify it being a verb rather then an adjustive... "Wu Dao" doesn't sound like a verb, because I can't remember it ever being used in context where it have tenses.

屏风马

#6 Post by 屏风马 »

Dunno if you still care for an answer now.

舞女 is fine by google.

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#7 Post by Twar3Draconis »

kanji should work. Mine is a little rusty, but I come up with 踊女 as well. Kanji should mean the same thing in Chinese (unless you use the japanese created ones).

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#8 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

Twar3Draconis wrote:kanji should work. Mine is a little rusty, but I come up with 踊女 as well. Kanji should mean the same thing in Chinese (unless you use the japanese created ones).
I don't know much Chinese, but I looked up 踊, and it seems to mean "jump" in Chinese. Unlike the Japanese reading, it doesn't seem to mean anything related to dancing. So that word probably just means "jumping girl," unless it translates differently in certain context.

magi
Special Project Artist

#9 Post by magi »

跳舞少女
I need the context in which a phrase is sitting in, in order to make proper translation. How it is use is important with its relation to a proper meaning.

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#10 Post by Twar3Draconis »

NetGenSuperstar wrote:
Twar3Draconis wrote:kanji should work. Mine is a little rusty, but I come up with 踊女 as well. Kanji should mean the same thing in Chinese (unless you use the japanese created ones).
I don't know much Chinese, but I looked up 踊, and it seems to mean "jump" in Chinese. Unlike the Japanese reading, it doesn't seem to mean anything related to dancing. So that word probably just means "jumping girl," unless it translates differently in certain context.
Heh. My dictionary (in JWPce) pointed out both jumping and dancing.

NetGenSuperstar
Regular

#11 Post by NetGenSuperstar »

跳舞少女...it almost rhymes. I like it. :D