2014 Nanoreno Post Mortem!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

Re: 2014 Nanoreno Post Mortem!

#16 Post by Helianthus »

It wasn’t my first time either but as always, Nanoreno represents quite the challenge…

In 2013, with Ambre, I was aiming small and it went quite well except for the fact my artist was so nervous she got sick. We finished the last background in a hurry, so the perspective was a bit messed-up. Overall, everything worked as planned. Ambre turns out okay but since we couldn’t find a proofreader, I’d still like to improve the translation sometime soon :)

2014 was a whole another deal. I tried to aim small too, with few graphics or musics, and I think I had the right idea.
  • -But this year, I made the mistake of wanting to bite off more than I can chew… Not with the Nanoreno per se, but with ALL of my team’s projects. We were still in the middle of a rish to release the second visual novel in our big episodic series RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MARCH. Nerver doing that again. So I was already burning out even before working on How visual novels changed my life. Since most of the work was on me and the programmer, it quickly escalated to hell with me working my ass off everyday. I kinda snapped at the end, taking two or three days to rest a bit, hence we were later than we should have been. And right after I had to prepare a crowdfunding campaign (I’m still in the middle of it BTW). I kinda regret promising to do so much things this year but well, at least, the team doing great for the moment :oops: .
    -Besides I had a feud with my programmer (the most important person to make the game). Everybody in the team wanted to do the project except him and he really showed us he wasn’t happy about it… Life happened on his side too so I don’t blame him for that but I didn’t expect having this type of difficulty.
In the end, HVNCML turns out okay too, I guess I’m lucky or just a robot to be able to work past burnout phase, who knows. We had to cut plenty of stuffs though. I planned extra scenes here and there as well as a stupid mini-game and we didn’t have the time for this. If my crowdfunding campaign is successful, I might try to do an improved version in the future…

To sum it up : Nanoreno will ALWAYS be an adventure, even if you’re aiming small and doing your planning right. That’s kind of the spirit :lol:
2dt wrote:Finish the script BEFORE NaNoRenO
And 2dt is right, finishing the script before Nanoreno is better ! In our case, it’s especially true : since we have to write in French first before translating, we can’t wait too long or we’re screwed ! 8)

Rainbow Wavedash
Regular
Projects: Starswirl Academy, Pretty
Tumblr: rainbowwavedash

Re: 2014 Nanoreno Post Mortem!

#17 Post by Rainbow Wavedash »

Our biggest problem is that we started halfway through the month. We couldn't commit to actually doing a game and then by the time we all decided we had the time, we had to play NaNo on hard mode.
Helianthus wrote:
2dt wrote:Finish the script BEFORE NaNoRenO
And 2dt is right, finishing the script before Nanoreno is better ! In our case, it’s especially true : since we have to write in French first before translating, we can’t wait too long or we’re screwed ! 8)
Isn't that against whatever loose rules there are? You'd probably get a free pass for working in a different language, though. :P