Best dating sim archetype?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

Best dating sim archetype?

#1 Post by Cafechan »

I hope this is the right place to post this! I've been thinking about this lately, and I'd like to hear it from both creators and consumers: what character archetype is your favorite in a dating sim?

For me as a writer, I really like writing a comedic/goofball character. Especially if the main character is a "straight man" to the comedic character's silliness. Banter is romantic, right?

As for playing actual games, I'm extremely drawn to bratty/mischievous types and flamboyant/charismatic types when it comes to boys, and I like shy girls who gradually grow more confident as the story goes on. I also have a general soft spot for characters who appear stoic, but secretly have a cute/silly/embarrassing side.
Edit: (I would also say I like older men, but this is almost non-existent in dating sims. /weeps)

I CAN like jerks with hearts of gold, but they have to be really well written, otherwise I'm left thinking, "Nah, you're still a jerk." LOL

How about you guys? What do you like to write and/or read?
Last edited by Cafechan on Fri May 23, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

Re: Best dating sim archetype?

#2 Post by Broodelin »

I like obtainables/NPCs that already like the character but don't think they have a chance or are just too awkward, so they decide to just be kind and polite. (Mr. Digby from Regency Love and Taira Kenta from Tokimeki Girl's Side 3 are my husbandos~)

Just being courteous or friendly to poor Protag-kun/chan is big points in my book.

I'm kind of a sucker for energetic/goofy characters too because they seem like they're fun to be around.

I have a secret love for the kouhai characters, but don't tell anyone...

So, my qualifications for favorite dating sim character are:

1) Outwardly nice/kind to the protagonist (and others within reason)
1a) Optionally awkward
1b) Optionally goofy/energetic
1c) Optionally already likes the protagonist

And yet, I still have a very short list of characters that I actually want to go after for any other reason other than completion. :?
Last edited by Broodelin on Fri May 23, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senila
Regular

#3 Post by Senila »

Ahh, when playing games I really like guys who are... well, confident sweethearts I guess~ > v < like, they know what they're worth but they're not constantly self-centered xD
or characters that at first seem rather calm and stereotypically 'normal' (if that even makes sense), and when you get to know them they have this weird and awkward sense of humor > v <

if you'd combine those two that'd be completely perfect~ ; ▽ ;

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4 Post by curry nochi rice »

just give me my terminally-ill girl and we're ready to go.
Anyway, since I played quiet a few otome (I'm a 20yo man btw), I usually go for the childhood friend, then to the prince type. I don't like pursuing the jerk with the heart of gold since I tend to swear a lot (instead of giggling)
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Sharane
Regular

#5 Post by Sharane »

I prefer the kind of boy who is a little mysterious, who looks like he knows (or puts together) a lot of things about you just from one look at you and don´t intrude.
The boy who doesn´t like you from the beginning is also interesting for me if he has got a good heart after all and his behaviour has got a good reason. Because if he´s very cocky, I loose my interest. The same with very flirting and overconfident people.

As the characters from otome games, I like for example Lord Gardis (Second reproduction) and Eric Valdemar (Halloween Otome) ;)
And I agree with Cafechan - I also vote for older men :D
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#6 Post by Katta »

I like the silly type, like Touya from Star project and if MC is the same, that's just hilarious. I liked Ren too (he's more like a cold mysterious type?) but that's more ordinary, so not so interesting.
I like a silent (and staying like that, not becoming overly wordy in a relationship), calm and reliable type the most. It doesn't matter if it's a fighter feared by everyone else or an exemplary student who helps everyone around.
I dislike the jerk type, because they're still jerks, and the overly sweet type (like Gardis) too because they seem boring to me.

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

#7 Post by dreamy »

I may be the odd sheep in here but I actually like the jerk with a heart of a jerk, just me being a sadist and all at this point :lol: I may like the jerk with a heart of gold but it can be slightly boring considered how many times it's written in other games.

Other types I prefer are the calm and cool type, cold and mysterious type, the cocky type and even the comedic type (to have a good laugh). However, I don't like the flirty type or the extremely nice type, they get on my nerves and I find it hard to trust them because they're acting too nice and it's hard to tell whether their intentions are good.

Writing is a completely different story since you have to like all your characters to write well about them. I will still favour the types that I love playing with though :mrgreen:
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Lishy »

I want to play a dating sim which lets me date a stoner. Let me know if my prayers are ever answered.
-

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#9 Post by pinkmouse »

Lishy wrote:I want to play a dating sim which lets me date a stoner. Let me know if my prayers are ever answered.
Well, the dialogue would be easy to write I guess... :)

But joking aside, please could you expand on that? Is it the personality that attracts you, or the culture, or what?

For me, dating sim-wise I go for rebels and bad boys, provided they're serious about it (in other words, it has to go beyond dressing weird and listening to music that the 'rents don't like.) Characters that test high on integrity but low on tact can be a lot of fun.

On the other hand, characters who are merely gratuitously rude are an instant turn off (I get enough of that IRL thank you) and may be annoying enough for me to quit the entire game. If a character's gonna be rude to me, I want conversation options that let me give as good as I get!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

I thought about this for a while. I haven't read many VNs with an otaku hero(ine), and it could be interesting. It might also answer the question "What does the protagonist have in common with the love interest?" They can start getting to know each other by discussing their fandom and the media which they enjoy.
Lishy wrote:I want to play a dating sim which lets me date a stoner.
The Visual Novel Database has a tag called "Drug Use," which might be relevant. Also, three entries on the VNDB have the tag "Addict Heroine." All involve some spoilers.

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#11 Post by kitsubasa »

As a player, I like tragic+contemplative archetypes who stew and angst over their problems-- with the caveat that their problems have to be big enough to justify the stewing. If there's a character who's sorrowful over life-and-death issues or-- my absolute favourite-- issues of their own identity, then I'll really enjoy them. Bonus points for characters who aren't human who have a crisis over their lack of humanity (though once again, I get picky in that they need to be visibly inhuman or have a relatively inhuman nature--for example, vampires who look/think like regular people who're angsty over their vampirism? Whatever, boring). On the flipside, I love flamboyant characters who are completely self-obsessed, for the humor factor. Which is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum, haha.

As I writer I enjoy writing the above two archetypes, and snarky (but not mean-spirited) characters who can banter with the rest of the cast almost endlessly. There's just something fun about writing sarcastic dialogue. : )

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Lishy »

gekiganwing wrote: The Visual Novel Database has a tag called "Drug Use," which might be relevant. Also, three entries on the VNDB have the tag "Addict Heroine." All involve some spoilers.
None of these really embody stoner culture, though.

I want to see a VN or anime like the film "Dude, Where's my Car".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wuijgeaaY
-

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#13 Post by Broodelin »

Lishy wrote:
gekiganwing wrote: The Visual Novel Database has a tag called "Drug Use," which might be relevant. Also, three entries on the VNDB have the tag "Addict Heroine." All involve some spoilers.
None of these really embody stoner culture, though.

I want to see a VN or anime like the film "Dude, Where's my Car".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wuijgeaaY
//furtively writes down idea for new VN//

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Lishy »

Broodelin wrote: //furtively writes down idea for new VN//
It's an entire genre of film:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_film
-

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#15 Post by Cafechan »

It's really interesting to read what everyone likes!
On the other hand, characters who are merely gratuitously rude are an instant turn off (I get enough of that IRL thank you) and may be annoying enough for me to quit the entire game. If a character's gonna be rude to me, I want conversation options that let me give as good as I get!
I feel like not enough games give you the option to be rude back to obnoxious characters, which I understand most players are too nice to do, but sometimes it's really cathartic to get the option to lash back, haha. I'm thinking, now, of Telltale's games, which almost always toss you a "f*** you" option when another character is getting ornery. I hereby decree more dating sims should have this option as well. -laughs-