Poll: what settings appeal most to you?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

Which world-settings appeal most to me?

medieval fantasy (hack n slash variety)
8%
fairy-tale medieval (cute / J-RPG variety)
26%
ancient civilizations (e.g. Greece, Rome, Middle East)
5%
Age of Exploration (abroad e.g. Pirates of the Carribean)/French Renaissance (at home e.g. Marie Antoinette)
No votes
Wild West (e.g. Cowboys: America, Mexico)
5%
Industrial Revolution Europe / America (e.g Victorian Era or Tom Sawyer)
8%
Recent past 1920s-30s / WWI / WWII / 1950s
No votes
Present Day West / Japan
34%
Post-apocalyptic (low-tech) future (e.g. Mad Max)
11%
Hi-tech future (e.g. Star Trek)
3%

Total votes: 38

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Poll: what settings appeal most to you?

#1 Post by DaFool »

As someone once said, Star Wars would be effective as a Cowboy Western since the actual plot is not too dependent on it being science fiction.

Well, our stories may or may not be too dependent on the setting. My plots can be reworked into any setting, I think. Anyway, I have a question whose answer may influence my next game.

This is different from the genre poll (action, mystery, romance, etc.). In this poll, the genre can be anything (and it really depends on the story)... but it's the setting that needs to be studied.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Poll: what settings appeal most to you?

#2 Post by monele »

I can't really choose... as they all appeal to me o_O. I think the genre and execution might be more important to me.

Mr. E
Regular

#3 Post by Mr. E »

Although I agree with monele that execution is much more imporant than the setting, I must confess a certain predilection for the 19th Century in general (not nescessarily Victorian or American, 19th century France, Germany, Japan, China and India were also very characteristic, and interesting ).
I think my predilection for that specific century comes from the fact that most of the books I read and liked were, by a strange coincidence, written on that century. But I mean... Just look at the quantity of writers from that period! Here is a very short list:
Anton Chekov, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, Victor Hugo, Honoré de Balzac, Jules Verne, Charles Baudelaire, Emily Brontë, Lord Byron, Arthur Conan Doyle, Gustave Flaubert, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Heinrich Heine, Henry James, Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson, Bram Stoker, HG Wells, Guy de Maupassant, Thomas Beddoes, Søren Kierkegaard and Arthur Schopenhauer.
*takes deep breath* I don't know why there were so many writers I like so much in this period (my best theory, up to date, is that the writers/poets/philosophers realized Television was going to be invented and decided to give one last literature boost before that happened. ) :roll:
But yeah... I guess the question is not so much the genre, but as what the writer has done for it. Also genres could very well mix sometimes ( HG Wells is cosidered the father of Science Fiction and he wrote in the 19th century, using a 19th century setting for some of his stories. )

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

For me it partly depends on how much effort the writer intends to put into the setting - and how good they are at integrating that detail into the plot. Having to stop while a character explains history to you at great length is usually a snoozefest, but a lot of people have difficulty implying and showing the setting by the details and actions of others. Really good artwork/direction can save an AWFUL lot of time on setting description, this is one of those 'picture worth a thousand words' cases.

So for a lot of people it's wisest to stick to familiar 'stock' settings - real-world-near-present-day, fairytale medieval, western. Less familiar settings are intriguing but can be problematic to get the correct assumptions across to the player, especially if they're supposed to be playing someone who's part of that setting.

... Also, you left out pre-civilisation! :) Tribal romance!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

realized Television was going to be invented and decided to give one last literature boost before that happened.
Interesting.

But TV stations also probably didn't realize that the internet and gaming will take today's youth away from the 'Idiot Box' and onto a more interactive box.

Also, because of the internet and blogging, people can publish their own stories without the hassle of having to go through an editor. Like I mentioned before with VNs, one entertains oneself.
you left out pre-civilisation
The poll is limited to 10 options, I would have included and expanded further.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Adorya »

You should have used at least one case for the now classic-but-so-good-plotline "time travel" or genre that mixe all. It's a specific genre made to extend the world while trying to find the last but not last ultimate reason of the plot, like advanced technology at the end of an heroic fantasy story. Classic plot are Might and Magic games, many J-rpgs (Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star...)...
There is also the mix and match universe that immediately immerse you with many genre at the beginning so you are not surprised if you see anachronistic elements (Final Fantasy, Mahou Sensei Negima...).

I myself don't care about the genre setting, though I have a small preference for heroic fantasy which is more open to the special genre noted above than the rest.

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#7 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Personally, I've had enough of games that don't happen in the present day. It seems that other than GTA, most games are taking the easy route and giving a different time period. Of course, VNs usually use the present theme, but I like that. It's one of the reasons why I got hooked on them, a difference from the mainstream western games.

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#8 Post by rocket »

I'mz a sucker for classicalz civ.

Gimme Rome and I, Claudius any day!

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

Well...I'm a history buff so...

From age of acient greece to age of exploration works for me =)

Still, agree with monele...the execution of it is sooooooooo important. Now, I don't care for post-acopylspe stuff at all, but if the writing is good and the story interesting, I might give it a go, over a game that is in my *preferred period*...and stinks,
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#10 Post by yummy »

I usually like science fiction stories (i.e. hi-tech bg) such as space operas but that's just because of the theatrical situations.
Actually I tend to like "Present day" stories because they simply are the kind of story in which I might immerse into a character (if the story is a POV). I don't think there's a difference with the different settings when it comes to writing the story script, because most of the script is then made of imagination, with more or less limitations (pardon my poor english if you didn't catch the last part).
It's just that to me, present day stories make me ponder with my present life, it somehow echoes with the characters. I just don't have to imagine something that can't exist in real life or doesn't exist yet, I just have to deal with what importance this thing has.
Well, that's only the background, the canvas.
What's the most important is how you paint on it, right ?

rocket
Veteran

#11 Post by rocket »

I have to say that while there are great stories that transcend genres and settings, for me it is a lot easier to enjoy a story if it takes place in a setting I am partial to.

For example, I don't much care for fantasy settings: elves, dwarves, dragons and such, while I am usually quite forgiving of battleships in space sci-fi (Star Trek, Galactica, and such).

I also don't much care for whiny, clumsy, crybaby heroines who are filled with determination and see the goodness in people. On the other hand I am usually quite partial to spoiled, stuck up, emotionally damaged, tsundere types (twin tails not required).

Now I happen to love the Lord of the Rings, which is not surprising 'cause generally most folks consider it a masterpiece. However I also quite enjoyed the Crest of Stars/Banner of Stars Series, even though I recognize that its pretty average at best, because the setting and character types appealed to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this...

Anyhow, I don't think it's a factor you should consider in choosing what to make - you had better love the setting and characters or you won't even have a shot at transcending your genre! However you should know niche genres are going to have a harder time universal success...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#12 Post by Vatina »

I can't choose. When looking at the list like this, I don't feel like choosing any of them.... but when looking at stories in general, I like most those genres I think. Maybe it's because such a list just makes me think of the worst cliché types of stories of every genre, and then I get sick of it already.

Usually I don't care much about setting, as long as the characters and story draw me in.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by DaFool »

rocket wrote:However I also quite enjoyed the Crest of Stars/Banner of Stars Series, even though I recognize that its pretty average at best, because the setting and character types appealed to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this...
Wow, way to put down the franchise by calling it average :? The characters were the best part of it. But I'd also have to argue that the world was well-thought up... the culture and hard science fiction rivals Star Trek or even better, I think. It already surpassed Star Wars, with the Star Wars world comparatively looking like a Tonka truck toy next to a Swiss watch.
Maybe it's because such a list just makes me think of the worst cliché
That's why I hate B-movies. They take a setting, slap the same bland crap on it, and market it as the epitome of horror/space sci-fi/what have you.

Ren

#14 Post by Ren »

Post-apocalyptic (low-tech) future (e.g. Hokuto no Ken-which was inspired by Mad Max-)

rocket
Veteran

#15 Post by rocket »

Wow, way to put down the franchise by calling it average :? The characters were the best part of it. But I'd also have to argue that the world was well-thought up... the culture and hard science fiction rivals Star Trek or even better, I think. It already surpassed Star Wars, with the Star Wars world comparatively looking like a Tonka truck toy next to a Swiss watch.
Ah... gomen, gomen! (^.^);;

I didn't mean to belittle it! Like I said I enjoyed it immensely, however it is really not on the same level as other anime, or stories, such as LoTR - something I can recognize even though I am partial to one setting and not the other. Also, yes, the heroine of CoS was a big part in making it so memorable for me. But I think you're reinforcing my point: a well developed and evocative setting can overcome weakness in the story - maybe not to the point of elevating something to great art (excepetion case, see LoTR) - but certainly for immediate appeal!

I must object however, comparing Crest of Stars and Star Wars is totally unfair! Especially the new Star Wars which has diluted and b-movie-fied the epic and evocative sci-fantasy world of the first trilogy. But... ah... I think we're agreeing again!