The joys of teamwork (slightly sarcastic)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

The joys of teamwork (slightly sarcastic)

#1 Post by wyverngem »

So I find myself on a team where I've finished what I can finish with the project. Being a little bored what can be done while waiting for the other team members to finish their part of the contribution. Any ideas?

I'm up to working on new short story outlines that may or may not see the light of day. As well as my master plan for an underwater world in minecraft. Though how that is renpy related I have no idea. Suggestions on being productive?

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: The joys of teamwork (slightly sarcastic)

#2 Post by netravelr »

I think it depends on what role you were filling with the team. If you're an artist, you can always work on commissions and/or start on concept art for the next project. If you're a writer, you can start concepting out the story you're trying to create next and if this project doesn't finish, you have another project to jump onto. If you're a programmer, you can start commenting and re-factoring your code to be as nice as possible so you can reuse sections for your next project or perhaps start thinking of new mechanics that could make the game nicer.

Hope this helps!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

Re: The joys of teamwork (slightly sarcastic)

#3 Post by Ionait »

Well, you could start a new project or you could think of ways to keep helping with the current project if it's important to you! Depending on your role, you can ask the other members "What can I do to help?" Fan art is always good for promoting a new game/official art if you're the artist! You could make special art, posters, all sorts of promo stuff to make the game special!

If you're a writer, you can work on making the best description possible for your game, the thing people read that makes them click that download button. Or you could proofread, edit, make sure everything is 100% its best! You could start working on the walkthrough for your game which is always nice since people often can't get all the endings they want without a little nudge in the right direction. A good spoiler-free walkthrough with hints and a detailed walkthrough with obvious "this is what you do!" is always appreciated!

If you're the programmer, you can ask the artist and writer if how the game is laid out meets their vision and if anything can be improved. For instance, maybe you use a lot of menus for your choices, but maybe implementing a "type your answer in" with renpy input could make a scene more powerful or effective!

Or maybe it's good to close the book on finished projects and keep chugging along. xD I don't finish projects often enough to have the problem!