NaNoRenO - Make a Ren'ai Game in 1 Month!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
BlackSpider
Regular

#46 Post by BlackSpider »

I think it'd be good to allow people to join NaNoRenO even on the last day of February.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#47 Post by PyTom »

Heck, if people want to join on the second-to-last day of March, and they can get a game they're not embarassed by done on the last day, then we'll take em'.

(Note: That's not recommended. I recommend starting the month by planning a game you think you can get done in two weeks, since that gives you a bit of slack in case you're wrong , and for release engineering and stuff.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#48 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:Heck, if people want to join on the second-to-last day of March, and they can get a game they're not embarassed by done on the last day, then we'll take em'
Marry Me Misato was done in 2 days from idea to exe. (yup, it's not a game, but still, it is a project)

Well then, as I said, I am still aiming for the NaNoRenO option, but to have IntRenAiMo is great and should planning go wrong, there's always a backup option (in March it's too late though... :D )

It's great if more people joined, either NaNoRenO or IntRenAiMo. We'll have the same deadline, the same worries. The more people, the stronger the mutual support. Eclipse should be in for sure, I am in too, so if anyone wants to say his/her final word, please do! :) I think it's a great oppportunity to make that first (or second, third...) project happen. if you don't join, there'll be no one to push you, no co-sufferers and development is going to go slower :twisted:

Hmm... we could make a sticky post with the participants :wink: You could describe your project (specific or not specific), set your goals and so on. Or even better, make a NaNoRenO/IntRenAiMo page... (I'm getting carried away here...)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#49 Post by rioka »

chronoluminaire wrote:The only thing is, I have this idea that is completely off the wall and different to any game I've ever seen, and if I don't get Elven Relations finished by March then I'll move my energy to NaNoRenO (RenAiWriMo?)... and then everyone will think my games are really weird when Elven Relations is actually fairly normal... :oops:
lol Off-beat games would be an interesting change from the average fare, imo. Besides, what is normal anyways? ^^

Yup, I'm definitely in. As far as I can gather from previous posts, so are:
Chronoluminaire, Grey, JoJo, PyTom, and Tage. 7 people, not bad.

Mikey, since you thought of the idea, why not start the NaNoRenO/IntRenAiMo thread and share your ideas, goals, etc? Technically, there's only 54 days till NaNoRenO starts and that's not long. Can you guys feel the pressure yet?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#50 Post by PyTom »

I'm still only 50/50 about the idea, since I decided to just go ahead with the game I was planning for the month. (In fact, I'm treating it as a test run, and trying to get it done in the 31 days starting Dec. 28th.) So to participate, I'll have to come up with another reasonable game idea by then.

We'll see.

Tage
Regular

#51 Post by Tage »

I'm too busy for the NaNoReNo ( :oops: I'm REALLY lazy too), but I WILL do my best for the IntRenAiMo. I already started on a game in the middle of December. I'll try for next year's once I test the waters with at least my first game.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#52 Post by rioka »

If you guys can make it for IntRenAiMo, it's all good, imo.

You know, I'm also currently testing out what I can do within a month's time.... Race you to the deadline PyTom! ;)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by mikey »

*inspects new links in eclipse's signature*
:P Wow, A NaNoRenO/IntRenAiMo page! (And believe it or not, I closely follow the newbie rules...) I didn't realize Grey was in too. Good luck!
(it's mikey not Mikey)
eclipse wrote:Mikey, since you thought of the idea, why not start the NaNoRenO/IntRenAiMo thread and share your ideas, goals, etc? Technically, there's only 54 days till NaNoRenO starts and that's not long. Can you guys feel the pressure yet?
I don't think they're worth of a new thread though... :( Anyway... *takes a deep breath*

Dear Diary...

Today at 02:30 I finally gave up my flowchart for my NaNoRenO project. It was way too big and I'd have to fix plot inconsistencies during March, which I wouldn't have time to. So now I am basically completely clean... I have a solid photographs base, I know the general style of graphics (white dominant, blurry), I have the name (classified for now), but nothing else. The production phase is calculated for 3 weeks (1 week as backup). My team is going to be the same that did Kaori, same engine, same reliable people, because I need to be sure I can do it on time. Hmmm... The game length is also set (20 minutes), I will do everything I can to make it a one-digit megabyte download, and considering that I count with less branching than Kaori, this might well be my smallest game ever. Perhaps I will be able to compensate that with text length, although that's hard to predict, since I don't have a story outline anymore. And I have only gotten moderate results with the music tracker I am now learning to work with. Still, the most crucial thing is the story outline, hopefully I can think of something real soon. And one more thing... why not IntRenAiMo then? I do have a RenPy project in the making, but I wouldn't make the deadline.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#54 Post by rioka »

mikey wrote:(it's mikey not Mikey)
lol And here I was thinking you'd be offended if you were the only one who's name didn't start with a capital. lol My apologies. It's been duly corrected.

*read's mikey's diary*
It's good to hear I'm not the only one who's scrapped their original story...
I'll write about it later... ^_^

And yeah, Grey mentioned he'll join if there are enough participants. I automatically put him under NaNoRenO as that's what we were talking about before. You're still participating Grey?

Grey
Veteran

#55 Post by Grey »

Heh, yeah, I've got quite a solid idea for what I'm gonna do.

Would you say it would be OK to add a completed mini-game, created for a scrapped project into it, in the interests of a better game?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by mikey »

Grey wrote:Heh, yeah, I've got quite a solid idea for what I'm gonna do. Would you say it would be OK to add a completed mini-game, created for a scrapped project into it, in the interests of a better game?
Why not? Are we talking the kawaii-girl horizonatal shooter style? :D Anyway, I was already thinking about what you're going to do next, and I'm looking forward to the next game!

eclipse> thanks. but perhaps I'm being too sensitive. Just yesterday my friend called me saying "Hi Mickey" :roll: .... Some people never learn
Hehe,
(*thinks of all the typos this forum has seen: Gray, Jeralis, Tom Bombardil...*) :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by mikey »

It's so pathetic to post after oneself... but:

I was just thinking about some of the negative effects of NNRN/IRAM. Obviously... if everything goes right, we'll have 7 new games on April 1st (should be no joke) 2005. You get dizzy just thinking about it. Questions, questions...
- what do I play first?
- isn't the mass release going to create a drought in the following months?
See, when someone releases a game(let), demo or anything, we download it, play, post comments, it's the "latest". The author gets feedback, because it's the thing everyone plays. Now with 7 games, I just imagine a posting inferno :D

Perhaps we could release each game within a week's time, so that there's just enough tension and time to play. Naturally, the games would have to be finished and sent to renai.us admins for instance, and they'd release it one after another (you can have a shorter time period, like three or five days - or a longer one). To prevent playing before the scheduled date, developers could password the file (or simply trust the admins), so that there is no frantic playing and authors can receive quality feedback. Release order... let's say random. Of course there are also positive sides to a mass release, but with seven games on my disk I am one lost little mikey. :P

Yeah, just let the opinions flow... :?

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#58 Post by Sai »

You'll just have to calm yourself down mikey =p

Jokes aside, I don't really think it's an issue... As much as this place really is popular and great, it's still not really a "mass" when it comes to the regulars. So the amount of people discovering the games on the exact date of April 1st being exceptionally large are slimmer. It shouldn't be too much of a problem (unless there's something I don't know about...). Sure if a developer decided to announce it on more forums and other places, or even inputted it into search engines and so on... yeah that's a mass. But that would be up to them. Also keep in mind, a lot of the time, a game is announced on the forum here, and some play it immediately whilst others acknowledge its existance but state they will have to keep it until later due to work or other matters. So not everyone will have the time to play on the exact release date, or will only play ones that demand less time etc. I'm sure people will give enough feedback.. But it's really up to the user. Some people don't give any feedback at all or have little to say because it's simply their preference to do so. There's plenty of time. And I wouldn't have any problem with picking a game, playing it to it's end then giving feedback and moving on, without someone forcing me ^^; Kind of sounds like a parent telling their kid to do their hoemwork first (kidding ^^ )

And as to what game to play... In my opinion that's not for the developers to control or predetermine for the users. Imagine if game companies delayed release dates because they want to force consumers to play another of their games (OK so maybe they do that already on the sly for the purpose of gaining more money but that's not the purpose here =p). It should ultimately be up to the user which game they decide to play... Plus take into account, that a game produced within a maximum of 1 month would probably be rather limited in scope so most will probably take under an hour or even less than half an hour to finish.

Just pick the game you like the best based on whatever you want (e.g. prologue, visuals etc.)

Off topic: Although it's probably not relevant for the ren'ai games here considering they shouldn't take exceptionally long to play, but sometimes I play more than one game at once. I remember once I was playing a couple of RPGs and got really stuck in the second one and then dreamt about solving that RPG using the first one's capabilities e.g. jumping which wasn't available in the second one. And yes, I was dissapointed when I woke up ^_^

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#59 Post by chronoluminaire »

Remember some of them could be finished before April 1st. My girlfriend finished NaNoWriMo three days early this year :D

I don't know what I think on this issue. I ready mikey's post and agreed with mikey, then I read Sai's post and agreed with Sai :shock: I think I can conclude I don't yet have any strong opinions on the subject <_<

Tage
Regular

#60 Post by Tage »

chronoluminaire wrote:I don't know what I think on this issue. I ready mikey's post and agreed with mikey, then I read Sai's post and agreed with Sai :shock: I think I can conclude I don't yet have any strong opinions on the subject <_<
Lol, same thing happened to me. However, I think that the issue mikey argues is less of an issue than what Sai argues. Mind you, they're not arguing, I just can't think of a better word. =P