ExtraCredits on Early Access Games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ArachneJericho
Regular
Projects: Kaguya Hime
Tumblr: mousedeerproductions

ExtraCredits on Early Access Games

#1 Post by ArachneJericho »

I think a few of the problems the Extra Credits team mention in this video are unique to multiplayer games, which VNs, KNs, and interactive storytelling aren't... but the other problems sure can apply to incomplete games of any kind. I'm thinking that some of the Steam Early Access issues can also manifest in Kickstarters and IndieGoGo campaigns.

Basically, how do you keep people excited throughout the development of your game, especially the earlier you allow access to it?

As a side note, I don't think this is a problem in the Ideas/WIP forums here, because usually WIP games don't typically release demos or complete games until said demos/games are ready (and then they have their own forum).

But perhaps this is something to keep in mind when trying to Kickstart games. Basically, don't jump the gun. Having an incomplete game be damned with faint praise (if even that) for meh content or meh effects, even when people know (or ... something) that a better version is coming...

Man, it's somewhat disheartening.

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

Re: ExtraCredits on Early Access Games

#2 Post by Vin Howard »

Well first of all, I'll point to one game that I consider the role model of "Early Access" done right: Prison Architect.

What makes this game so special?

1. The base game is there, that is the base experience of building and manage a prison is there. Early Access seems them building upon that solid base.

2. The game receives consistent/monthly, reasonable sized updates. These updates are also accompanied by an amusing video highlight what the update contains (as well as containing bits of humor and info on the devs' personal lives; see: http://youtu.be/n7nQODdpby4)

Not only has it retained media attention, it has also retained my attention (always come back to the game after every update to try out the new toys).

---

With that said, that doesn't really work with narrative-focused games. That is because a story needs to be told in it's entirety. If you tell it in bits and pieces, the story will lose it's impact.