Midis won't play on my game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Gamesmaster

Midis won't play on my game

#1 Post by Gamesmaster »

Hey guys I just tried a test game and wanted to try the music feature.I put the music in the game directory of the project and put in the code but I hear no music.Anybody know what's going on?
"Fortune Favors the Bold"

Avery Brooks

denzil
Veteran

Re: Midis won't play on my game

#2 Post by denzil »

Midi support was removed from Ren'Py some time ago. It won't play them anymore.
If you want to play them you have to convert them into .mp3 or .ogg
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Gamesmaster

#3 Post by Gamesmaster »

denzil wrote:Midi support was removed from Ren'Py some time ago. It won't play them anymore.
If you want to play them you have to convert them into .mp3 or .ogg
I found a program called Vorbis that plays .Ogg files but do you know of any programs that convert midi files to .ogg files?

Avery Brooks

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Converting midi is not that simple. You have to "render" them using soundfonts.
It's similar to 3D modeling... the actual "vector" information is a small filesize, but the final render may take longer.

I have to know whether these are just midis you grabbed off the web or something you composed or plan to rearrange. If you are serious about the music in your game, I recommend SynthFont or Timidity to render your midis to .wav. Then you can use a wav->ogg converter such as Oggdrop.

Renpy plays .oggs natively, it's the most recommended compression format.

Gamesmaster

#5 Post by Gamesmaster »

DaFool wrote:Converting midi is not that simple. You have to "render" them using soundfonts.
It's similar to 3D modeling... the actual "vector" information is a small filesize, but the final render may take longer.

I have to know whether these are just midis you grabbed off the web or something you composed or plan to rearrange. If you are serious about the music in your game, I recommend SynthFont or Timidity to render your midis to .wav. Then you can use a wav->ogg converter such as Oggdrop.

Renpy plays .oggs natively, it's the most recommended compression format.
These midis are midis that I got from the Jazz AlleyXG by a composer named Bob Gayner.I did ask him for permission and he agreed.Now I might have to go back to him and ask him if I can convert it from midi to ogg.Although it might be a mute point because this sounds like it would be pretty complicated to convert it.

Avery Brooks

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Ask him for permission if you can convert it to wav or ogg, or better yet, if he can do it for you.

If you have to do it yourself, then head on over to http://www.synthfont.com/, it's a third party app so it'll be mostly "figure it out yourself". But it does come with default settings so you should be able to render basic stuff.

anyways, best of luck.

Gamesmaster

#7 Post by Gamesmaster »

Well thank you so much for your help.I'll get back in touch with him right away.

Was there some programming issue that caused the change in ren'py to stop midi support?
I mean I've never even heard of this ogg format before now.

Avery Brooks

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Gamesmaster wrote: Was there some programming issue that caused the change in ren'py to stop midi support?
I mean I've never even heard of this ogg format before now.
PyTom wrote: The problem is, midi playback had problems on Linux and x86 macs. In the latter case, the application would crash when you tried to play a midi, which was fairly bad. The code for midi playback still exists in Ren'Py, but is disabled for this reason.

Gamesmaster

#9 Post by Gamesmaster »

Cool I guess that does make sense then.You don't need people emailing you all day about their system crashing.I found a program that makes it pretty easy to make ogg files from midis.Thanks again guys

Avery Brooks