Voice Acting for MC in Otome Games - Yay or Nay?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
JudokaLilly
Regular
Deviantart: LillyInverse

Voice Acting for MC in Otome Games - Yay or Nay?

#1 Post by JudokaLilly »

I've seen it done both ways, but I'm not sure which way I would prefer to go... I like the idea of having all the spoken lines voice acted, because that way there is less reading and it feels more like you're playing a video game than reading a book. I actually really liked this in Opera za no Kaijin! But I can also see the merit of not having a voice actress or actor for the main character since that way the person playing the game can have an easier time putting themselves in the place of the main character, like in Tokimeki GS games, or Hakouki. What do those who enjoy playing the games think?
Convention Kiss - An otome game I'm working on - let me know what you think! :3

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Voice Acting for MC in Otome Games - Yay or Nay?

#2 Post by Asceai »

Yes please.

I mean, to me the biggest justification for not voicing the protagonist is:
1) you can get away with it, and
2) the protagonist is usually the character with the most lines, so it's a significant cost and a significant load on one voice actor

But I believe, unreservedly, if other characters are voiced it is always better to voice the protagonist. Even if you get to name the protagonist and it's a sim, it's always better.

miraiparasol
Projects: The Brink of Debt
IRC Nick: Mirai

#3 Post by miraiparasol »

The straight answer: It really is up to you.

my two cents: It depends on the feel of the game you're going after. I say adding a voice may enhance the gameplay. It could just be me because whenever I play otome, I feel as if I'm an observer. I may control the MC's actions but I don't consider myself in the MC's shoes. If you get what I mean. I consider the MC as an individual character like the rest of the cast. I'm not sure if it's the same for other people. I think adding a voice to the MC would define them as their own character instead of a puppet you pull the strings on.

On the otherhand, there are many other games (not just otome) where they omit the voice of the MC to help submerse their players into the world. Having someone speak the lines on the screen takes away the imagination of how you might say them yourself and the player might end up feeling disconnected.

I think omitting the voice won't hurt your game, adding the voice won't hurt the game either (you could add in an option on the options menu to enable it). Like I said it depends on how you want players to approach the game and how you want them to view the MC

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#4 Post by Zetsubou »

IMO, only if you also show the main character's sprite on screen.
A lot of VNs don't show sprites for the MC. Some only show the MC in CGs. If this is the case, I'd say leave them out.
If there are sprites for the MC, and other characters with sprites are voiced, then yes, I think the MC should be too.

I think what's more important is the competency of the potential voice actor for the MC.
If the main character has poor voice acting, and the voice setting is all or none, then voices are going straight off.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#5 Post by Tyrantauranox »

If the VN is from the MC's viewpoint (first-person), keeping him/her silent won't hurt anything, in my opinion.

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#6 Post by kitsubasa »

I think, unless you have a good reason for not having the MC voiced (for example; if you're making some kind of plot point out of it, or if they're a faceless MC and you want people to project on them) it's best to take an all-or-nothing approach. Leaving your MC unvoiced when the rest of the cast is voiced, especially if the MC is visible and has a preset personality of some kind-- even the most bare bones-- can be sort of jarring, especially if they get into a lot of autonomous conversations and you don't give them many choices.

I think probably the best way of deciding might be to read through your script (or your outline) and see how much the MC does autonomously. If she drives a lot of conversations and plays a big, active role regardless of player input, she probably needs a voice like everyone else. If she doesn't say much without you choosing her dialogue, and doesn't have much of a backstory, you could probably skip giving her one without it clashing with the rest of the cast.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#7 Post by Shinoki »

I'd say that if the MC shows up on screen with a sprite as others have said before, yay~
If not, nay. :v voices can sometimes even make a personality.... or at least the cover page of the personality.... usually, otome without on-screen sprites for the MC mean that the MC is usually molded to how the player sees fit... or so I'd think.

daijinahito
Regular
Projects: Siren's Plea & A+ Switch!

#8 Post by daijinahito »

Asceai wrote:Yes please.

I mean, to me the biggest justification for not voicing the protagonist is:
1) you can get away with it, and
2) the protagonist is usually the character with the most lines, so it's a significant cost and a significant load on one voice actor

But I believe, unreservedly, if other characters are voiced it is always better to voice the protagonist. Even if you get to name the protagonist and it's a sim, it's always better.
I agree all the way with what Asceai says. And some people might say, it has to be done right, but then again, all of the voice over in the game better be done right or I'm not playing. I'm very sensitive to voice over. If I think the actors suck, I can't play. It just makes me cringe too much. There are a few VNs I've put down because of this. Now, if said VNs had a feature that turned off the voice over in the game, that would be acceptable.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

If everyone else is being voice acted, I feel the main character should be too. It just feels kind of lazy, I mean, I can deal with it but I do love games if everyone's spoken lines are, well, spoken.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"