What program

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
darkknight
Veteran

What program

#1 Post by darkknight »

hey this is jimmie here i have only worked on text games in HTML so i just want to know what programs do u people use. I have been programming for 5 years and i know many languages but i dont know how to make a "moving image" game yet. thanks

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

Hmm well a lot of ren'ai games don't actually have much animation if at all. The characters may blink etc. but most games use still images. Although this might not be to the liking of fast-paced action lovers, it does however give time to really make high quality images and artwork, just like manga often has a higher level of artwork than anime due to no need for thousands of frames (although there areexceptions cos of different artists... Nadesico manga didn't seem that great for artwork... but the anime was nice)

So I would use an image editing software like GIMP, Paint Shop Pro or even Photoshop if you can manage it (I have to use Photoshop as part of my studies anyway)

You can program all the actions in any language.... C++ or whatever you like. It's not too hard to do a basic ren'ai game because it's more of a story with paths on it's most basic level. So therefore any programming language should be able to handle it.

Animating software, there's Flash from Macromedia if you want. Or just create simple GIFs with Paint Shop Pro Animation Shop (there's other software like an Adobe one but I've only used basic Animation Shop)

If you want something catered to ren'ai games specifically then try PyTom's ren'ai engine derived from Python which you should find easy to understand.
http://www.bishoujo.us

For music you could get someone else to do it or you can use music samples software like eJay, Fruity Loops... can't remember what else. Cool Edit Pro is good for if you have music already and you just wanna tweak it etc.

Well I gotta dash.

darkknight
Veteran

#3 Post by darkknight »

Thanks, i insert some pictures into my text games using visual basic so i might give this a try after my next text game is finished
(save functions suck)