Bermuda

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Burmuda Triangle

#31 Post by monele »

My creator said something about making cat noises to sound cuter. (...) He also said something about wearing glasses and cat ears.
*must not take advantage of innocent person... must not take advantage...*

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#32 Post by musical74 »

Ah, the power of music is a wonderful thing, it can turn a sad sad day into a wonderful day, just by listening to a song! It can make people forget about problems <short term> by listening to a soothing song, or make them get up and dance because they love a song to the point of dancing!

*wonders what would happen if I were to take a picture...she's so pretty in that outfit....*
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

M12
Veteran

#33 Post by M12 »

*Blinks at monele*

Music sounds magical. I am not sure what a 'picture' is, but dance, I know how to do that. I call this the Bermuda Dance:
Attachments

[The extension swf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by monele »

I wonder how close the game will be to all this ^^;... Are you going parody here or is it the actual mood of the game? :P

M12
Veteran

#35 Post by M12 »

M12: Yeah I'm just doing paraody here. Once my scanner gets fixed, I'm going to develop a short comic about Elpis' history. That's when you'll find out that the game is in fact very serious. I'm just passing on the good times while I'm waiting =D.

M12
Veteran

#36 Post by M12 »

M12: Hey everyone. I just bought myself a mic! Let me try it out...

*Gets tapped on the shoulder*

Oh, you want a go, Elpis? Okay *hands over mic*.

http://www.geocities.com/marcusl_12/elpis_greeting.wav

(Sorry if you cannot access it. Geocities has poor bandwidth)

M12
Veteran

#37 Post by M12 »

I finally fixed my scanner. Now, I can start drawing a short manga for Bermuda. Here is a sample page. I think the rest will be in black and white. After all, I don't want to die from colouring @_@. Hope you like it. Thanks, and please look forward to the manga.
Attachments
elpis.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by monele »

For added style, I'd suggest keeping the purple color at least. Black, white and purple (maybe shades of gray too). Since this color seems important, it would make an artistic statement ^.^

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#39 Post by Der Tor »

Looks very promising... i like everything about it... the idea, the concept, the story, the art (i like your first Elpis better though) and i am sure the sound thingie is gonna word fine if you use the right programes to do it, and don't push the difficulty too high (i have learned that the hardest part in making a game is to not make the difficulty too high, since oneself can't percieve how difficult one makes it).

The only thing is that in my youth i used to read a lot about the Philadelphia Experiment, and since you made it a battleship i am confused... is the Battleship supposed to be the USS Eldrige, or is that just a coincidence?

(yes i believe in such stories, i am uncertain about the Philadelphia experiment, but i believe something similar has happened to the ships and planes in the Bermuda Triangle... so pleeeeaaase try not to stretch it too far).

M12
Veteran

#40 Post by M12 »

Hm that's a good idea monele. I'm glad I thought of it. Just kidding ^_^;. Thanks.

Thanks Der Tor. Nah, everything in this game is pure fiction. Also, the sound idea is kind of gone. It's mostly just a shooter now.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#41 Post by Der Tor »

but the sound idea was great :(

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by monele »

About the sound thing, I was reminded of it when playing a not yet released game : HammerFall (http://www.fun-motion.com/physics-games/hammerfall/). The third level is a hunt against flying worms at night. You can see it in the video, it's the second scene. Well, while the sound was not predominant, it *was* in stereo and you could at least guess wether new enemies were coming from the left or the right. Since the level plays at night and all you have is a poor lantern to see (the video shows enemies better than what I experienced in the game), the sound actually became rather important to know *where* attacks would come from. Once you close in, though, the lantern lets you see the creatures. You can also spot shadows with a keen eye.
Another level has you fighting against an even bigger monster and you don't have a lantern... but a flying ship you're supposed to protect has. Again, sound proves useful since the creature roars before it attacks, letting you know where it'll come from. The people from the flying ship also yell when it comes ("be careful!" "here it comes!").

While it's admittedly not *fully* dark and you can spot shadows after a while, it's still very different from a clear day gameplay :). Thought it was interesting. But there is *one* flaw with my current audio gear : only stereo... so when the creature came from above or below, I had no idea.

M12
Veteran

#43 Post by M12 »

Thanks for the responses. For my game, I was thinking that the monsters are always on the same level as you. So, we have no problems with that "above or below" issue. We can use stereo sound to determine which directions they are coming from.

Thanks Der Tor. Don't worry. I'm trying hard to maintain the original idea. I thikn now, Elpis will appear on a panel, and she'll tell you where the demons are attacking from. That might help.

M12
Veteran

#44 Post by M12 »

Hey, thanks monele for suggesting to use purple. Here is how it looks. Does it look okay to you guys? Thank you.
Attachments
window.jpg

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by monele »

Well, this one is a bit dark which makes the purple not stand out so much, but it seems like we're watching through something... a window and even water? So obviously it can't be all contrasty. Mm.. actually, I'm wondering now if there will be any brighter pics given the game setting ô_o. Well, if it's always darker, maybe putting a bit more strength in the purple might help.