Which school(s) of thought do you subscribe to?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Which school(s) of thought do you subscribe to?

#16 Post by LVUER »

I think I follow all schools except for The Classicists.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LiamExe
Regular
Projects: Locked Souls
itch: liamexe

#17 Post by LiamExe »

Hmm, I don't know if I fit into any of those neatly.

I think I take a little at least from each of them. I dunno what that says about me haha. Though, if I was pressed to choose just one, Animist sounds like the most likely category for me.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#18 Post by thebackup »

I could very easily say I'm an animist. But after some thought I'm likely a mixture of everything, leaning towards iconoclasts.

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#19 Post by Laniessa »

Wow, I feel lonely! I just read the thing for Classicists and I pretty much identified it 100%, lol. I want to make something that'll age well - something that's maybe not good, but something that fits, no matter when. Something like a style or a groove to a game / story that makes it stand out for years to come.

I really like the idea of resisting pandering and selling out of Iconoclasts, though. I want to make some beautiful in it's honesty, if that makes any sense?

Zootower
Regular

#20 Post by Zootower »

I think what attracts most people to VN's is the presentation style. The hybridization of various artistic elements into what, if done well, can be a beautifully cohesive whole. Attempting to lop off various styles of presentation into categories sort of lobotomizes the whole medium. What I'm trying to get at, I suppose, is that none of those categories are mutually exclusive. There's no reason why you can't adhere to realism while experimenting with form. Look at someone in literature, like Hemingway, whose formal experimentation was with syntax and sentence structure. The stories themselves are still gritty and real, it's just the composition is being played with as a means to amplify the tone.