Shiny graphical game idea.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ginanubismon

Shiny graphical game idea.

#1 Post by ginanubismon »

It has been a while since I have last posted seriously because, well, I've been busy. Learning how to draw, write and in general trying out several "middleware" easy to use game engines.

I've found out I love two things, making pretty art with Pixia and creating rendered graphics. Which both I am still learning but at the same time I found out two things I do not like, actually making myself sick on a "game" that I will not enjoy and knowing it will be a major flop for the sake of annoying "popular people" and truthfully learning long arcanic codes that takes years to perfect and worry "is this too many faces/textures/mesh" or not enough "detail/textures/crap to throw at that damn wall?" every step of the way.

In an effort to make myself happy and not the thousands of screaming idiots that twitch and wrath when they learn it is not a sandbox type deal and head down the street to a closed store they cannot get into anyway -. Or the simple fact all I really want to do is tell a simple story that gets me runned down as I pointed out the learning of arcanic languages just to create a rough advanced physics engine to throw a box at a wall. - I have decided to focus mainly on the fun part, making movies and art.

So enough with the rants, to the point.

I want to make a simple yet "big" game, just to goof off and make what I like just like when I write fanfiction. If it gets finished, Yeah! if not, all well, lesson learned. I just want to have some fun working on it and walk away happy with the product.

The idea is this, the story centers upon a young teenaged boy that was covering for his friend who had gone some place he wasn't suppost to and his mother finds out, drags said boy to location which is bad news in a horror movie sense.

One of the biggest things I would like to do is have the game rendered in "3d", but with a style of my own, have a romance between the boy and his best friend's mom and another thing is to somehow base the story inside a very large haunted game store.

Sorry for the randomness, I am just tired but happy and was looking for any advice, tips and what you think of the idea.
Tragically a G.O.M.E.R. - Get Out of My Emergency Room.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Shiny graphical game idea.

#2 Post by DaFool »

It seems like graphics will be your main concern.

Can't you just tweak your 3D models, render them stock, then put them through some After Effects filters? Then use the rendered frames as game backgrounds.

Do you want this to be a Tomb Raider type interactive 3D engine?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Same question as DaFool but broader : what kind of game would it be? 3D/2D? 1st person, 3rd person? Any similar game you could compare it to to help us understand?
(right now, I'm thinking it might be close to Alone in the Dark but maybe that's not it)

ginanubismon

#4 Post by ginanubismon »

Actually that is how I wanted to do it that way but trying to figure out if it would be easier to add certan(sp?) effects like lighting or shadows in pixia or trying to hack away at the radi-whatever it's spelt.

And to answer game questions:

For gameplay I want it to play out in an menu driven third person visual novel because it seems to fit my ideas and styles the best.

This game is going to be kind of like July, bounty hunter Sarah or deSPERIA (info can be found at Segagagadomain.com), it is a visual novel that uses 3d graphics. But I would like to include small pieces of 2d art here and there - I.E. magizine covers, posters on the way and maybe the talking portrites(sp?).
Tragically a G.O.M.E.R. - Get Out of My Emergency Room.