What do you want to see more of in EVNs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Yokura
Regular
Tumblr: yokudraws
Deviantart: yokura

Re: What do you want to see more of in EVNs?

#31 Post by Yokura »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Indulgent praise teaches nothing.
This is far too true.

Hm... personally I'd love to play more that make me bawl. I like to see it as physical proof that the story was moving. But this is just because tragedy is easily measured by tears (don't take it too extremely), and happiness is more difficult to gauge because that physical proof is akin to a smile and that doesn't feel nearly as memorable.

Oh oh, I would love to see something that revolves around morality where your decisions affect the path you take and the character you develop. And example I can think of is... the decision to kill your enemy so he may not be a problem in the future, or to judge him by law, or to give him a second chance. With each choice comes many pros and cons, and some will cost you your sanity more than others. It may become easier to kill as you choose to eliminate more and more of your enemies, and your sense of judgement becomes more and more black and white. In addition, you maybe have friends and families of your victims come after you for revenge.... etc

On the flip side, if you choose to allow your enemies to live, they may just come kill you later. Or they may change into more pacifistic people. Who knows.

... That would be a nice story to read. I wonder if it exists already...

Hm... I guess I just really like stories that leave you with much to think about after the game ends.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#32 Post by Caveat Lector »

More stories that take risks and try to step outside the box. Also, with dating sims and romance VN's, I'd like to see more characters that step outside the box and are actual, well-developed characters instead of just popular anime archetypes. And I would also like to see more respect paid to the Japanese culture instead of going entirely off of assumptions made about Japan based around anime. It would be like if someone made a VN about American culture based entirely off what they saw on early 2000's Disney Channel sitcoms. :lol:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#33 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Caveat Lector wrote:It would be like if someone made a VN about American culture based entirely off what they saw on early 2000's Disney Channel sitcoms. :lol:
Maybe a few of us could do this just for giggles. Heh.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#34 Post by Vin Howard »

Personally, I'm not so interesting learning what an audience wants, but rather with what I can get away with in my writing (and on that note, it gladdens me to see that there is an audience for the works of Gen Urobutchi and Shuzo Oshimi ^_^)

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#35 Post by Rossfellow »

Vin Howard wrote:Personally, I'm not so interesting learning what an audience wants, but rather with what I can get away with in my writing (and on that note, it gladdens me to see that there is an audience for the works of Gen Urobutchi and Shuzo Oshimi ^_^)
If you're gunning for emotional abuse to the first degree combined with postmodern hollywood-esque action, then you've got an instant reader in me.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

#36 Post by Vin Howard »

Rossfellow wrote:
Vin Howard wrote:Personally, I'm not so interesting learning what an audience wants, but rather with what I can get away with in my writing (and on that note, it gladdens me to see that there is an audience for the works of Gen Urobutchi and Shuzo Oshimi ^_^)
If you're gunning for emotional abuse to the first degree combined with postmodern hollywood-esque action, then you've got an instant reader in me.
I'm not much for actions, especially within the constrains of visual novels. But I do plan on both emotionally and psychologically abusing not only the characters, but also the player ;)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]

#37 Post by Caveat Lector »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
Caveat Lector wrote:It would be like if someone made a VN about American culture based entirely off what they saw on early 2000's Disney Channel sitcoms. :lol:
Maybe a few of us could do this just for giggles. Heh.
Part of me is curious to see what the result would be...maybe add that to the list? :lol:
Reader Beware!

maricon

#38 Post by maricon »

-more VN's with RPG elements
-I'd like to see more horror/paranormal and dystopian novels
I generally prefer to play B/G or B/B. Not fond of slice-of life type of stories or japanese high school setting but would play it if I deem it interesting plot-wise.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#39 Post by Katy133 »

Hijiri wrote:Y'Know, this is, like, the 4th or 5th time we've had this thread. And the points are always the same. But at the end of the day, it's simply "we want" and no one really goes and does what they want. So if you guys really want what you want,w ell...you have the tools, so make it! :P
What if we focus this discussion less on writing, and more on design and sound?

For instance. I'd like to see more VNs with a timeline shown at the beginning of each chapter (or scene--whatever way the VN is divided by). That way, the player has a better idea of how far they've gone in the VN, and how close they are to reaching the end.

Chapter timeline example:
(In this example, each square would represent a chapter, and dot should be shown to represent where the player is.)
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#40 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

A visual novel that takes place in Australia. I'm not even Australian. I just feel there are hardly any VNs that are set in Australia.

Honest Critique

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Caveat Lector »

Or Canada!
Reader Beware!

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#42 Post by meiri »

Caveat Lector wrote:Or Canada!
Yes! Really, I'd like to see any place not set in Japan or some other East-Asian country. Or at least with a better description of location in general.
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#43 Post by Katta »

I think Heartstring bugs is set in Canada

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#44 Post by Katy133 »

Katta wrote:I think Heartstring bugs is set in Canada
I actually set most of my VNs in Canada simply because I'm Canadian. ;)

I'd also like to see more choices in general in visual novels. Not just big choices once in a while that effect the ending, but also smaller dialogue choices throughout that can alter other characters' replies/responses to you in little ways.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

xiaomao
Regular

#45 Post by xiaomao »

trooper6 wrote: What do I want?
More butch women as characters.
Me too!!!!

Also, VNs with additional game elements beyond the branching tree structure. I love what Long Live The Queen did with a simple extra stat mechanic and would love to see more things like that, more experiments.