"Dollmaker" for visual novels - would anyone be interested?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

"Dollmaker" for visual novels - would anyone be interested?

#1 Post by Mirena »

I've seen that there are posts asking for character art to use in projects, and as far as I know there isn't a lot (a few free ones from the blade engine site, alice dolls, plus it's hard to find some that match) so I was thinking..

If I was to make something along the lines, would anyone be interested? You would also be able to request clothes/hairstyles/ect. Here's a sample of what the "dolls" would look like:
Link in case image doesn't show: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1788/v ... pleyi0.png

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: "Dollmaker" for visual novels - would anyone be interested?

#2 Post by DaFool »

If you can make some, that would be appreciated.

But be warned, making something truly versatile and useable in a lot of projects might take up more time, which would be better spent making custom art for your own project.

As far as I know, only Tsuina's blonde sprite is that versatile.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

I think just making a full-body character with a photoshop document with fully colored body/face part layers that you can turn on and off would make a good straightforward versatile dollmaker for visual novels. People from the community can even easily add their own custom parts.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Mirena
Regular

#4 Post by Mirena »

Hmm.. if there won't be much more response I guess it's pretty pointless and I'm better off creating stuff for my projects, like DaFool said.

I'll wait some more before I decide what to do.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

If you have the time, love to draw and you have tenacity, then go for it because it will become a great resource to all if you stick with it and it will get your name out there if you're interested in pursuing a career in art (i.e. eventually getting paid for your artwork instead of handing it for free).

Otherwise, do NOT pursue it if you are already doing something else, get easily distracted or bored, or can't manage your time very well. One of the reasons I couldn't continue with my ALICE packs was of other obligations. I would love to pursue it again but this time around if I did, I would scale it down first and secondly, I would like to be paid for the sets I make.

Just my two cents. My packs here under Alice if you want to check it out.

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#6 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

I for one love the idea, since my artist is only doing alien art and set pics I've been using "Dollwizard" for all my work, however the pictures seem under quality and need work from the beginning, seeing a freely distributed "Doll wizard" program would definantly help people like me. And I agree with lordcloudx. Giving the creator the ability to make custom clothes would allow for a greater, and diverse sub-community of the writers, and artists. And if you make a doll maker program (I'd be happy to make some "Trek" uniforms :wink: )
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

M12
Veteran

#7 Post by M12 »

Good find. I think a lot of people will like this. Many of us can write, but don't draw very much.

Mirena
Regular

#8 Post by Mirena »

Hmm, I see.

First off, I guess I need to make my wording a little clearer (there is a reason I put ""'s around the word dollmaker). If I make it, the thing will consist of a base and several parts, saved as a psd file (and as individual pngs if people need it).

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

I need recommendations about how to proceed with my Triona "doll".

I've been planning the possible permutations and combinations, and it's overwhelming!
Actually, it's overwhelming in mapping out the possible states in code, I'm just not sure whether to pass on that customizability to the game player, or just use a few states in my application.

For example, should I do A.) or B.)?

A.) "Dressing-Room" feature. The player can change the hair color, hair style, eye color, whether she wears glasses or not, the clothes she wears, and the degree of sexyness of her body. This has no influence on the personality of the actual character, which is linked to the scenario path. The result will be that while every player can complete the same scenario, the girl's looks can be radically different from what another player customized.

B.) Don't bother with this feature. Just pick the best combinations that fit each different personality type. Hard-code some settings in, and hard-code several body types, one for each personality scenario. Then when the player plays the scenario, he'll only meet the bodytype that is tailored for that particular personality / path in the game. The purpose of using a dollset here is to demonstrate efficiency and reusability, not customizability.

Mirena too lazy to login

#10 Post by Mirena too lazy to login »

Excuse me, DaFool but I don't see how your post relates to this whole topic... If you need feedback on your project you ought to make a new thread, I think more people would look then.. ^^'

I only made this thread to see if there was any need for something.. so I would like if it doesn't grow into a big discussion about other things.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

Mirena too lazy to login wrote:Excuse me, DaFool but I don't see how your post relates to this whole topic... If you need feedback on your project you ought to make a new thread, I think more people would look then.. ^^'

I only made this thread to see if there was any need for something.. so I would like if it doesn't grow into a big discussion about other things.
The way I post is to benefit those who search forums for keywords. For example, when they search "dollmaker" or "doll", they might encounter the same situation / dilemna that I encountered.

That's a feature of technical forums -- related subjects are best lumped together in similar threads.

I dislike the alternative... where each person starts his/her own personal thread asking for help on different aspects of game-making, and being subscribed only to that thread. This results in repeated questions like "Can I play midi files in my game?" and things like "Help me I have a couple of problems."

Mirena lazy again

#12 Post by Mirena lazy again »

I see.. but still. To me the matters seem too different to really be benefiting to anyone, and take the topic title into consideration as well. But it doesn't matter now I guess..

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

lol! Should I say, euphemism?

Ok, is this on-topic? Y'know one of those bishoujo sketches I made as open-source for the last nanoreno? No? Anyway, here she is in full-color.

Yah, I also have the psd handy in case anyone here still wants to use her, just ask me and I'll send it to you. With a little tweaking, you can change her eye-color, expressions, uniform color, hair color etc. Unfortunately, she comes with only one outfit and one pose.
Attachments
bishoujo.png
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by DaFool »

Don't know if I remembered to mentione she's absolutely lovely. Something about her face I guess.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#15 Post by yummy »

Schoolgirl uniform ! Nyaaaaa~~
I wonder how your character would be used anyway.