How to distribute earnings?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
VickyVic

How to distribute earnings?

#1 Post by VickyVic »

I've been wondering this for quite awhile, but I wasn't sure where to start or what to ask.

When starting a project, in this case, a visual novel... how do you pay your partners?

I kinda want to know everything about this(receiving pay from online orders), but in this case, I'll keep it specific to visual novels...

How do you split the income? Okay...say for example, you want to pay your coder. Do you have a set amount, or is it every time you get paid from someone buying the game ? But how would you do that, because people will continue to buy it as long as it's available and that would be a pain to manually split it into a percentage. So, is there a way you have to hook it up with the bank so say 50% percent goes to the one person, and $50 percent to the other? Do you pay up front or until after the game has made money(this seems more like a personal choice)?

Actually, how does receiving money from something you're selling online even work?

I would love if someone could explain this to me. These may be stupid questions, but I was never told how to do this, and don't really know where to ask.

Thanks for your help! :D

Edit:
Whoops. I didn't just mean "partner", I also meant anyone you happen to work with/hire. Also, is there a name for the things I'm talking about so I could study them. Like..."Economics" maybe? I'm just curious how other people find out about this stuff, and I think I might want to learn too.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

Re: How to distribute earnings?

#2 Post by Kate »

It really depends on if you are equal partners (both contributing, working actively), the person has been commissioned for a specific amount (one time payment, but you would like to give them a bonus)- and for this I suggest agreeing that if your game sells past a certain threshold you will pay them a certain percentage if it is reasonable. (I have an agreement with my artist, who is already receiving payment for art assets for my game, that if we reach X amount of $, I'll give her a bonus of X% (probably under 10%, but it depends. Not every game is a smash hit.)

I don't know about the other services that could divide earnings between multiple people- but I'm very sure that there are some that do that. However, be wary of those that may charge a high percentage to do that. I'm not fond of services that take a large cut just to deliver money from one person to another electronically.

Hopefully someone who has succeeded in marketing a game will comment on this and offer some feedback. There are a few pros on the forums that would definitely have some good ideas to help you. I have yet to finish and market my own game, so I'm curious to see the advice for this as well.
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

It's all a matter of what you agreed to when you started. You need to work out these details and get everyone to agree to them (preferably signed on paper) so that you all know what you're in for.
But how would you do that, because people will continue to buy it as long as it's available and that would be a pain to manually split it into a percentage. So, is there a way you have to hook it up with the bank so say 50% percent goes to the one person, and $50 percent to the other?
If you sell your games through some payment providers, there can be a split-payment feature that automatically distributes the funds made through selling on that particular site. For example, BMT Micro can do this if you and the person you want to share with both have accounts there. You can set it up so that any time your game is bought through that system, some of the money goes to you and some goes to someone else.

Of course, the more places you're selling your game, the more of a hassle this may be, and not all sales points will have automated tools for it. You may have to make some payments manually, with checks or paypal or money transfer services or whatever you both agree to.

If you plan it out in your contract, you can have an arrangement where you only pay them if you owe them at least (some amount) and monies owed keep rolling over until they hit that point. So if you're only selling a copy or two every month, you don't have to mail a check every month, but just save up that $5 a month until it hits $50 and mail it out then.
Do you pay up front or until after the game has made money(this seems more like a personal choice)?
It's definitely about what you agree to. I prefer to pay people up front because sending out profit-shares all the time is a pain. ANd most artists prefer to be paid up-front, too, even if it means they earn less, because it means that they WILL get paid. Too many indie games promise a share of the profits and the profits never, ever happen.
Actually, how does receiving money from something you're selling online even work?
Depends on who you're selling through. You could set up your site to have people send you money through paypal and then you mail them a link to the game, then it would be obvious how you get the money! That's a lot of manual work though.

There are many other stores/payment providers you can set up with which will automate the process. They receive the money, in whatever format, take a cut of profits because they're doing the overhead, send the game to the customer, and send the money to you. How they send the money to you will depend somewhat on where you live and what services you can use. If you have a US bank account, many stores will happily direct deposit right to your bank.

However, as with the profit share, many stores/providers have rules that they only have to pay you if your money earned reaches a certain threshold, or once a year to clear the books. So again, if you're only earning $5 a month they may not send it to you until it's reached a certain level. You may even choose to intentionally set it higher. (This is often done because if you have a European bank account, there may be a fee charged to wire money to you, and it doesn't do you much good to get a $50 payment if $30 is taken out of it in bank fees!)

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#4 Post by Laniessa »

The study of this would fall more under finance and accounting than economics, I believe!

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#5 Post by meiri »

I believe this is why many games use kickstarter/patreon/etc when its a huge project requiring paid services.
They estimate the amount needed for ALL aspects-- music, art, programming, voice acting, etc. Lets say it all came out to 5,000 dollars. They put their amount needed on kickstarter and patreon and gather supporters, then they commision all the aspects for a one time fee.

Of course, youd either have to have a kickstarter/patreon/other fundraising service, or be using pocket money.
You could split costs over time, but this may be difficult.

Ive also seen a thread where they were hiring writers and had a $2500 bidget JUST for paying artists. So they'd hire 5 or 1 or 2 writers and distribute 500 dollars every month/week/interval, whatever.

Anyways, it might help to look at AIdol's Cost of Production spreadsheet.
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

VickyVic

#6 Post by VickyVic »

Thank you SO much! :) This has been so helpful.
I'm going to keep researching this, but now I have a bit more of an idea how it works.

I like the idea of shares and percentages, personally, but I can understand why it'd be a pain, and perhaps, detrimental if the game doesn't do as well as is hoped.