Does voice acting have to be consistent?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mithrilda
Regular

Does voice acting have to be consistent?

#1 Post by Mithrilda »

Like, I feel like it would take way to much effort to find people fluent in both English and Chinese. Do you think it would be necessary for me to voice the English parts as well since it's a Chinese learning game? Or should I just use two separate sets of actors? I feel like maybe I should just leave the English parts unvoiced. Would that be alright?

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: Does voice acting have to be consistent?

#2 Post by Shinoki »

I think it might be fine to have two different actors. I speak Chinese and English and my voice sounds different when speaking the two languages, like pitch and tone anyways. According to some of my friends, their voice sounds different when they speak in different languages too.

Leaving the English part unvoiced would be totally alright; I personally don't like partial voicing, but I don't have a problem with it.

mollycubed

#3 Post by mollycubed »

I think whatever language is being learned is more important to have a voice. I would focus on that first and foremost. The game would flow better if your voice actors were bilingual, but as long as it's clearly established who is saying what, I don't think having two separate sets of actors would be a problem.
i like watching cooking shows but i have no idea how to cook

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#4 Post by Tyrantauranox »

Where will you be looking for actors? We literally have millions of Chinese-speaking people in North America.

Mithrilda
Regular

#5 Post by Mithrilda »

Tyrantauranox wrote:Where will you be looking for actors? We literally have millions of Chinese-speaking people in North America.
Well, I was thinking some of my mom's friends, but they're mostly immigrants so they don't have the best English. Then my mom's friends' children, but ya know, speaking isn't the same as acting...