You do you visualise your VN script?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
kuroi
Regular

You do you visualise your VN script?

#1 Post by kuroi »

Hi there.
I was pondering my script the other day and it occured to me that when I write the script, I am considering the scene as if it were a movie that I'm watching in my mind.
This lead me to wondering, how do you guys think of your script? In your mind's eye do you see a VN script as being like a book, a movie, a manga? Something else entirely?
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: You do you visualise your VN script?

#2 Post by Adorya »

The huge advantage of the Visual Novel is that you can see through it like a movie or a book or a manga...or all of them at once :P
You can see it like a movie with animations, like a book with text and like a manga with lengthy character/plot development.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#3 Post by chronoluminaire »

For me, I think it flips between movie (as I'm picturing the stage directions and expressions changes and things) and book (as I focus on the text). It's not like a manga, to me, as I think of manga as using a variety of imagery in almost throwaway panels to set the scene, whereas each image in a VN requires quite some effort. (Even if Rocket did manage to include 4 different CGs in just the intro to Starlight :P)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

I think I mostly go with a movie/anime orientation because I like visual humor and action. Until I start typing things, I don't really have any idea of what the text will be... I just know what it will be about and how it will go in a general way.
Then of course, actually writing it makes you realize all the details you forgot to include in your mental vision :p

M12
Veteran

#5 Post by M12 »

I actually write novels, so yeah, I visualise it as a text. But mostly, I just write whatever comes to mind, and I edit later.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#6 Post by PrettySammy09 »

I nearly always imagine my script as an anime movie. I know it sounds lame, but it's totally true. I use a lot of anime/dating sim cliches, and I'm proud to use them! XD I'm not trying to create anything brand new here, so using things from other things that I enjoy helps me write.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#7 Post by Samu-kun »

I definately visualize the stories I write as if it's happening in an anime series. Sometimes the English dialouge even sounds like they've been subbed from a Japanese voice over.

Mirena (lazy mode)

#8 Post by Mirena (lazy mode) »

Yeah, I visualize things too when I write. What I visualize mostly when I write my scenes are the character's facial expressions. I try not to think too much about anything else, as I won't be able to show everything like, say, in a comic.

In short, when I write visual novel scenes I try to visualize them.. like a visual novel. The occasional sound effects come in as well, but that part can't be called visualizing I guess. ^^'

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#9 Post by rocket »

I'm a pretty visually oriented person, so I tend to imagine the script unfolding like a movie, not even necessarily an anime move. Then I think about which scenes really need unique visualization and which can be sufficiently evoked by the text. Finally I have to go back and add some more visualization when I play through and realize that my chosen degree of showing things lead to an expectation of showing other things as well.

I tend to visualize my short story attempts as movies also.... may be why I have so much trouble with thoose! ^_^;;;

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#10 Post by rocket »

Samu-kun wrote:Sometimes the English dialouge even sounds like they've been subbed from a Japanese voice over.
LOL! I've also found myself writing dialouge in the pattern of the awkward English that arises when there is no quite equivalent translation! I tell myself this add to the charm and authentic feel. ^_-

uluuu
Regular
Projects: Half Past Never

#11 Post by uluuu »

I visualize and auralize (that's not a word, is it? x___x) individual scenes like an anime or a play or some mix between the two, depending on the scene. If I can't see or hear or at least feel a scene happening I usually end up altering it or dropping it altogether, because writing it without that seems all wrong.

Kenshiro

#12 Post by Kenshiro »

I usually see my script as a movie in my head - the way I wish it to be done. Unfortunately, final product is usually below this level :D Anyway, I also do some sketches, maps and simple story boards. And I often visualize my game best when I listen to some appropriate music :wink:

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#13 Post by sake-bento »

Is it weird that I see it as a visual novel? When I'm writing it, I imagine what expression the character has or whether or not I'll use a cut scene. I also tend to hear the voices, since I do a lot of voice work, so it's natural for me to imagine that when I'm writing.

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#14 Post by Hyperguy »

I visual my script as an anime as I'm brainstorming it, and visualize it as a VN as I'm writing it. That way I can plan on scenes as I'm coding it.

herenvardo
Veteran

#15 Post by herenvardo »

That's a tough question for me... I'm a writter/programmer hybrid, so story-writting and game-logic programming of my projects are two independent takes that I approach differently. For simple games that wouldn't make much sense, but having 400+ lines-long python blocks in some of my scripts makes this differentiation an advisable idea.
When I'm programming the game logics, I normally see objects (not data objects, but the "real" objects they are intended to represent) interacting with each other, performing actions (functions) and so on.
For the writting part... well, before being a writter I have been a role-player for many years, and this has a direct impact in the way I write: I just role-play the story, living it as if I were inside it, and letting the story to develop itself, while I keep writting everything that happens around "me" (for "me" understand the projection of myself into the imaginary world where the story takes place). Actually, when a book of movie is engaging enough for me, I also "jump in" and enjoy it from inside... the biggest problem of this is that when I'm reading a long book, it can affect my mood and humor for several days or weeks; and people around me has worried more than once due to me.

Anyway, if you feel this approach is weird or strange, you're probably right. I'm quite sure that, if I ever went to a psychiatrist, new mental diseases would be discovered on me.
Now I take your leave, 'coz I've a dragon to kill :P
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P