Dealing with criticism (aspiring VN creator)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Enigma
Veteran

Re: Dealing with criticism (aspiring VN creator)

#31 Post by Enigma »

Honestly, people need to stop using the word Orwellian so often, just saying...it's kind of become a reactionary, or rather OVER-reactionary, word. Here's someone saying something akin to "people should take responsibility for their words" and someone goes "1984!!". I feel so weird with how much I hate the refrecenes people make to the book after actually reading it and Animal Farm.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#32 Post by Caveat Lector »

As someone who has read the book, I'd just like to add this: Psychologically torturing and brainwashing people into loving the government so they stop protesting against the oppressive nature of said government /=/ asking someone to sign in if they want to post a comment on something that absolutely no one is obligating them to read or comment on.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

neowired
Regular

#33 Post by neowired »

Criticism is only destructive if it makes us lose motivation in our work, or if following the criticism degrades the quality of our work rather than make it better.

But, weather we like it or not, this all depends purely on us, not on the criticism itself or the criticizing person.

You can hate the person who criticizes you, and still use the criticism to your advantage. You may think the person who criticizes you has an awful taste, you know what you should do then? Do the exact opposite of what he tells you, and you will like your stuff more.
Always use it to your advantage and then it's always constructive.

Easier said then done, I know.
It does scare me a little that anyone can hide behind the shield of anonymity to launch an attack.
There are plenty of people who use popularity rather than anonymity as a tool of attack. What with popular people sending mobs of rabid fans/supporters on less popular people whose opinions they dislike. This kind of attack can be much more damaging. Anonymity is the only method for people without a strong backing to not be mobbed nowadays if they say something a popular person or group doesn't like. Anonymity supports a wide range of voices, and a rich culture, a lack of anonymity tends to only support mainstream opinions, the other voices can be easily shamed into submission and silenced.
A popular person can just point at the person whose opinion he doesn't like and say "wah, this person is harassing me", and the only person who will be really harassed will be the one pointed to, by a mob of idiots, it happens way to often. That's where anonymity comes into play, moronic mobs can't harass someone who is anonymous.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#34 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

This all becomes irrelevant if you don't care.

We aren't goingg to change the world, but we can at least choose what to react to.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

raistlintg
Regular
Projects: Silver (VN)

#35 Post by raistlintg »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:This all becomes irrelevant if you don't care.

We aren't goingg to change the world, but we can at least choose what to react to.
But if you "don't care", why do you show your work in the first place ?
Of course we must differentiate constructive criticism and nasty remarks, and not let them touch us on a personal level.
But if someone says "I don't like it", it's still relevant even if it's a little rough.
As I said, it's still better than no response.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#36 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

By "not care", I meant not take things to heart.
If we truly didn't care we wouldn't be here (in LSF).
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.