Why do we write?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Why do we write?

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

Have you ever stopped to wonder just why you do what you do? Why do we write about anything? Or draw? Or compose music? Or program? What is it specifically that draws us to this again and again?

I don't know...I thought about it, and the way I see it, we do it because it's how we express ideas about how we see the world around us, and how we also see other fiction around us. It helps broaden our minds and explore "what if's" again and again (what if magic was real? What if people were mystery magnets who stumbled across a mystery wherever we go? What would happen if someone was driven mad by love?)--perhaps it might even make us step outside our comfort zone. It allows us to let our emotions go.

Do we even need any specific reason? Can it ever be a whole amalgation of reasons? Maybe sometimes, we just do what we do for fun. Because we enjoy it. Because certain genres or styles just naturally appeal to us and we just want to write for those simply because we like them.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: Why do we write?

#2 Post by firecat »

i write for history, our ancestors have done many things that help almost clear the past and so i want to do the same thing. if there were no writers they were no history, thats why i want to make history even if people think its common everyday life our future grandkids will see it has knowledge. just like that old saying knowledge is power.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

RotGtIE
Veteran

#3 Post by RotGtIE »

Because telephone doesn't work.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4 Post by Shinoki »

Because our memories are sufficient? I guess it's because our brains don't have the ability to easily store everything and produce everything for others to see--telepathy...
If you have a story and you try to tell someone, it's probably harder to make a good explanation that's not a boring summary than it is to well, write out an epic (even though good writing is still difficult to make). This is just my opinion.

Coldreaver

#5 Post by Coldreaver »

I can only speak for myself and I am more of a special case, I guess. I have no other way to express myself. I lack words when I try to talk and am not a person which is any good in socializing. Therefore I draw or write some stuff (I am not that good in it I think, unfortunately) in order to get those emotions and thoughts out of me. I build worlds in my mind and let 'em collide. I have to get them out of my head and use them somehow, otherwise I get depressed because I think that this fantasy of mine deserves to reach the outside. The worlds, the characters. Everything. They were important in my past as some sort of shelter and still are important today. My raison d' être? Probably.

So people are different. Their reasons are different. Therefore there can't be an easy answer. And I think that's good.

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#6 Post by SinSisters »

Oh, man. I dunno if it's the writing itself, for me, or the creating stories. I loved playing with Barbie dolls and giving them stories. (groovy girls and polly pockets sucked in comparison; polly pockets were too small and I wasn't sure if Groovy Girls were flat adults or old faced makeuped 10 year olds). Eventually... I hit a point where I needed to write. Writing is my passion. If there's only one thing I could do for 24 hours, every day (besides sleeping/eating—and assuming that bodily functions are taken care of) it'd be writing. Part of this was when I was going through middle school (ah, yes, the blessed angsty tween stages) I wrote in my diary a lot. I wrote because it was the best way I could vent.
Now, I have stories filling up inside of me, and if I don't write them down, if I don't make these characters real, it's like I'm going to burst. Maybe I won't be an author when I'm older, but I'm never going to stop writing, you know?

-Nat

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#7 Post by Caveat Lector »

I loved playing with Barbie dolls and giving them stories
OMG ME TOO ME TOO!!! :mrgreen: Though I also made up stories with Polly Pockets and Groovy Girls and MyScene dolls and Bratz, etc....I remember I never gave each MyScene doll the exact same name as the one they were supposed to have. Nolee took on many, many names (I still love that name, but I'm kind of afraid it would make people immediately think of MyScene, plus Nolee was my favourite for reasons). One year, I re-enacted the story of Passover with Polly Pockets and the various Polly Pocket houses and malls. It was EPIC. At the very least, I'm certain it was better than Ridley Scott's new Exodus movie. :lol: (Oh man, that does NOT look like it's going to be a good movie...but back on topic)
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

First, I like it because it gives me some satisfaction to make something I would enjoy. So, if someone like me comes along, looking for a game like mine, they would have my game rather than coming up with nothing. It also gives me satisfaction if someone enjoys it, period.

It also makes life more meaningful... outside of my creative endeavors, I have not really accomplished anything of note besides get through school after school in pursuit of some distant "stable job", but making games or other creative stuff gives me something smaller to strive for when the recession keeps moving the goalpost.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#9 Post by thebackup »

I guess one reason is to escape the harsh realities of life. Plus having the satisfaction of creating your own world, populating it with your own characters, and sharing it with others.

#10 Post by 171 »

I'm on the same boat with people who think that creating your own world is enjoyable.
Last edited by 171 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#11 Post by Vatina »

Because writing is awesum.

In general I have always loved the whole 'creation' thing, making worlds and lives and stories. Writing is a great way to do all this.

SimonLayton
Regular

#12 Post by SimonLayton »

thebackup wrote:I guess one reason is to escape the harsh realities of life.
Haha, I write stories that are harsher than real life (at least the reality I'm experiencing). I like to throw every single problem imaginable at the main character, but if they manage to live through them, then I can do the same with my own problems, too.

One of the reasons I write is because I couldn't find the stories I want to read. So I write those stories mostly for myself, and whenever I finish a story, I can give myself a pat on the back, because hey, I started and finished something that I can be proud of. I also like to explore what-if's on a personal level.
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#13 Post by SinSisters »

Caveat Lector wrote:
I loved playing with Barbie dolls and giving them stories
OMG ME TOO ME TOO!!! :mrgreen: Though I also made up stories with Polly Pockets and Groovy Girls and MyScene dolls and Bratz, etc....I remember I never gave each MyScene doll the exact same name as the one they were supposed to have. Nolee took on many, many names (I still love that name, but I'm kind of afraid it would make people immediately think of MyScene, plus Nolee was my favourite for reasons). One year, I re-enacted the story of Passover with Polly Pockets and the various Polly Pocket houses and malls. It was EPIC. At the very least, I'm certain it was better than Ridley Scott's new Exodus movie. :lol: (Oh man, that does NOT look like it's going to be a good movie...but back on topic)
Oddly enough, Lego also worked for me. I enjoyed the Polly Pocket sets, but I could never get into their stories at much. I think that Barbies were the right size for me, and you could turn the heads and stuff. As for Lego... lol, I'm pretty sure that the majority of that spurned from watching stop-action short Lego films.

Also, reading. I read so much when I was little. I loved the stories that others created, and I wanted to do the same. If one day, my writing inspires someone else to write... well, that would be amazing.

-Nat

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#14 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I'm a trespasser in this creative world.

I write because it is a requirement of visual novels, and visual novels are the most suitable form of media for my goals.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

tejina
Projects: Faded Hearts, Ward 12
Organization: Tejigroup

#15 Post by tejina »

I've been writing since the tender age of seven, when an author from my hometown came in to read us a book she had written.

I was like, "holy crap, PEOPLE write these? Like, NORMAL people?"

I was flabbergasted and instantaneously intrigued.

Of course when I was younger, a lot of it was from whatever had my interest at the time (a LOT of Pokemon-themed stories :lol: )

Once my teachers realized how wordy I could be, they actually had to start putting a LIMIT on the number of pages we could have...because if left alone, my stories would go on, and on, and on...

I like to think part of it's because I have an amazingly active imagination, but as I've grown older I've realized that I can-and enjoy-writing anything and everything. Any style, any genre. I just love to write, even if it's just a random blurb.

Heck, I've started telling my friends/coworkers "give me a sentence and I'll make something out of it".

I wrote a 17-page story from a single sentence :lol:

If I'm at work, it gives me an added incentive (when I'm NOT working, of course >.>) to get it done before my shift ends.

So yeah...I like writing.

Though I use a computer for convenience, I LOVE putting pen to paper.

Good feeling, it is. 8)