Colouring Art

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
madquest8
Regular

Colouring Art

#1 Post by madquest8 »

What do you use to colour in your art?

I mean,I can draw a black and white picture fine... but then I have two options I guess

1= colour it in with pens and scan it in (But this doesn't look as good)
2= use some program to colour it in... but I have no experience in this area , so could use a point in the right direction...

Thanks..

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

Re: Colouring Art

#2 Post by JQuartz »

I think this thread is relevent to your question:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 85&start=0

Basically you'll need some sort of graphic editor (eg.adobe photoshop) and preferably a tablet (and of course the ability to color/lineart)
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Jake
Support Hero

#3 Post by Jake »

madquest8 wrote:2= use some program to colour it in... but I have no experience in this area , so could use a point in the right direction...
Personally, I'm increasingly a fan of OpenCanvas.

Ren's signature links to this translation of Paint Tool Sai, which a lot of people seem to like.

Photoshop Elements is a pretty readily-available cheap cut-down version of Photoshop, which is a benefit 'cause a large number of colouring tutorials on the web are geared towards Photoshop users.

Free Software people tend to like The GIMP. (I don't know why.)

There are dozens of other paint/graphics programs that you might use - each has its own quirks and its own method. Generally speaking, a decent approach for making sprites out of line art is to move your line art to a new layer and set it to 'multiply', then create a layer below that for putting your colours in. But how you do that is down to which package you're using.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

madquest8
Regular

#4 Post by madquest8 »

Thanks.... I can see that this would be more time consuming than I first anticipated......

Mikan
Veteran

#5 Post by Mikan »

I typically do all of my line work on paper at double or triple the required size using a thin pen -- 0.2mm for anything smaller than letter size and narrow tip sharpies (1mm?) for bigger works. Doing line work on the computer's fine and dandy but it always takes an incredibly long time. Plus I can't exactly turn the canvas in photoshop... and I'm too used to photoshop to use other image editing software with rotate that doesn't destroy the lines.

As for coloring, I just use the magic wand and fill/gradient it... haha.
That's only possible because I ink with the coloring process in consideration.
Otherwise I'd have so many leaks and gaps that I'd just have to trace over the lines with the magnet lasso for an extra half an hour =_=

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#6 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... Also, as an added note, I generally use Paint.net and Pixia. They come in handy sometimes. :3

http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/

http://www.getpaint.net/

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#7 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Personally, I prefer using Copic and Prismacolor Markers, however much like the others SAI Paint Tool and Pixia are also items I use. Photoshop Elements, I'd say would only be advisable once you have digital line art, due to the lack of the pen/path tool.

yvanc
Regular

#8 Post by yvanc »

I use gimp2.4.2 to do colors, ahehehhehe its cool ^_^

Praktikal

#9 Post by Praktikal »

Im new to this whole, "Art" thing, but what i do is i sketch my drawing in pencil, and then bring it into Photoshop (CS2) for the inking, and then i begin coloring once my Lineart is set to multiply.

I always have trouble with shadows though...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

I think all of us do things slightly differently, but Deji's tutorials should put you on the right track if you're new to digital art.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Kaihaku
Regular

#11 Post by Kaihaku »

Inkscape here... Awesome for lineart, far better than Illustrator CS2 which was what I used last. Unfortunately, not so good for coloring. Other programs work decently for adding color but in my experience...shading sucks no matter what program you do it in. :(

#12 Post by Guest »

pen tablet are so expensive *sniff*

CG is a pain, but with practice it gets easier. Photoshop is a widely used one

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#13 Post by rioka »

I tend to CG my works using Photoshop (though I have used some other graphic programs like GIMP and so forth). Otherwise, I use colored pencils - Prismacolor - and (though not recently) watercolor, acrylic, charcoal, conte crayon, etc etc.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#14 Post by sake-bento »

I use Photoshop Elements for all of my non-pixel-art coloring needs. This is a super short, super simplified summary of how I do it.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Cybeat »

I line my art with Paint Tool Sai and CG with photoshop CS3.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai