The elusive VN fight scene

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: The elusive VN fight scene

#16 Post by Vatina »

I am trying to have fight scenes in my game. I can't say if they're good though :P I don't think I could ever make something like what Type Moon games have. I am another fan of the fight scenes in Fate ^^

The scenes in my own game are mostly made out of descriptive text, but if I can find the time for it when everything else is done, then I'm still thinking about doing something more about it. I probably won't though. I'm not good enough yet -_-;;

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by monele »

blakjak
Veteran

#18 Post by blakjak »

Wow thanks ! They're even more dynamic than the ones in FN/S :shock:

Raikiri
Regular

#19 Post by Raikiri »

monele wrote:There, fight from Ataraxia :
http://www.dailymotion.com/leokhorn/vid ... videogames
Now THAT's how you portray anime-style battles in a VN, folks!

Impressive, I had not seen any of the battles from HA before. Thanks, Monele.
Lucifer status:
It Will Be Done When It's Done™

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#20 Post by 000 »

Raikiri wrote:

And there was nothing impossible. Just a (giant) bit of talent and some (hellish loads of) work.

Y'know, one should be thankful for being able to see just one example of something of that level of quality (and that was commercial product, to note!).
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

kuroi
Regular

#21 Post by kuroi »

HOLY JESUS IN A DUMP TRUCK!
That Ataraxia fight scene is really impressive!

I actually recently played the newest game from nitro plus and it has some really good action. Not just in it's fight scenes but the entire game has an extreamly cinematic feel to it. lol The H scenes were for the most part not my thing (I'm not into the whole monster fetish) but the action and dialogue scenes were so impressive that I'd reccomend you guys check it out even if you're not into H games.
President, Planner, and Programmer for Kuroi Games!

rocket
Veteran
Projects: Starlight Ep0, Ep1

#22 Post by rocket »

000 wrote:
Raikiri wrote:

And there was nothing impossible. Just a (giant) bit of talent and some (hellish loads of) work.
Oooooh boy, you said it! (^_^);;

I've been planning out the climax of Starlight Ep1 and certainly been struggling with how to present the action not from the player's POV without breaking the feel of the game. I think this validates my approach, but....

Wah! A lot to try and accomplish!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#23 Post by chronoluminaire »

It's certainly impressively dynamic. It does suffer from the same problem that a lot of manga fight scenes, to me, which is that I can't tell what's happening >.< Of course, being able to read the text would probably help ^.~

But yes. And it's all feasible within Ren'Py. Some Pans, RotoZooms and suchlike. And a huge bucketload of talent.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Mirena (lazy mode)

#24 Post by Mirena (lazy mode) »

Hm, that was interesting. Thanks for sharing, Monele.

There were some things about it that I liked and some I did not, but altogether I think they did a pretty good job on the fight scene.

Someone mentioned an idea about using rough sketches in this thread too I think; I think it would be interesting to see that one in use.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#25 Post by Asceai »

Fate/stay Night, hollow Ataraxia and Tamayura basically have the best fight scenes I've seen in VNs. Unfortunately the latter's (Tamayura's) were so hard on the company, especially given the poor success of Tamayura, that subsequent VNs by akabeisoft (Sharin no Kuni and now Devil on G-String) are far less actiony.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

Mmm, any links to the Tamayura one? I have trouble finding anything (seems like there's a bishoujo AND a BL game with that name ^^..)

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#27 Post by Asceai »

"(seems like there's a bishoujo AND a BL game with that name ^^..)"

wut? I've never heard of a BL Tamayura (n.b. okay, I just found it. Cute =p). Anyway, I'll give you a quick bit of background as there is almost nil (english language) information on this game. It's the first Japanese-language visual novel I ever played, it's by Akabeisoft (of Sharin no Kuni fame). The game's name is 魂響 (Tamashii Hibiki, except, for this game, it's pronounced 'Tamayura' (as shown in the subtitle). The original webpage for the game has been taken down in favour of the webpage for the remake 魂響~円環の絆~ (Tamayura: Enkan Kizuna) which does not have a demo available for download; however, the old demo and OP video are still available on some download mirrors such as this one
(tamayura.zip is the demo). The demo is large, filesize-wise, for something you can play in a matter of minutes (something like 188kb of script), containing 2-3 fights and a (really, really _horrid_) H scene. I was considering translating the demo and doing a drastic repack of it (I should be able to get the filesize down a heap) but then figured that nobody but me would really want to play that =p (

OP (translated and subbed by yours truly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YIuaziZsY
Company website: http://www.akabeesoft2.com/

blakjak
Veteran

#28 Post by blakjak »

Thanx Asceai, The video is pretty cool, I'll check out the demo at home.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Cybeat »

Once my game comes out, you should see what kind of fight scene I used.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Kenshiro

#30 Post by Kenshiro »

I'm also working on a VN with some (quite brutal I must admit :oops: ) fights. They will be pretty dangerous and may quickly end player's life (save games are strongly recommended :D ) but if the player reads descriptions carefully and can think, he/she should survive :wink: