NaNoRenO 2008

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chunderbunny
Regular
Projects: SSS:Renaissance, Canadense (WIP)

Re: NaNoRenO 2008

#46 Post by chunderbunny »

Chunderbunny here!

I'm joining Jake and Ficedula as the newest member of team MAB Studios for this year's NaNoRenO project. I just thought I'd stop by and deliver a little progress report.

Firstly, the project now has a name! (It took a while, but we got there in the end)

Star Story Saga: Renaissance
(Or "Renai" for short. Aren't we clever?)

Good news for anyone who played last year's entry from MAB Studios, MorningStar, this year we will NOT be making a VN/RPG hybrid.

Jake is working hard on the artwork, fice and I are doing the dialogue. So far we have 4 of 12 character artworks, 2 of 9 backgrounds and 7 of 24 scenes written already, but I think all of the hardest ones are yet to come. At this rate we might even have time for bonus content!

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#47 Post by mrsulu »

I think I qualify for IntRenAiMo, but just barely. I've been working on "Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day" on and off for months, but I've been hesitant to release it due to a series of technical problems and hosting issues. I'd like to use IntRenAiMo to get me to just...FINISH...IT!

From the game, this is Chipmunk Bandit, one of the main characters, animating through her poses. She's an excitable children's show host who has some unresolved psychological issues.
animated-bandit.gif
animated-bandit.gif (49.93 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
(Gif gets no bigger if you click on it...)

So, sign me up!

Jake
Support Hero

#48 Post by Jake »

chunderbunny wrote: Jake is working hard on the artwork, fice and I are doing the dialogue.
Correction: Jake is doing the artwork and bitching about grammar errors, and Fice and Chunderbunny are doing the dialogue.

Look! Progresses! And there's totally an apostrophe in "let's", damnit! ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by DaFool »

The braids and ribbons just gave me a double moe-whammy... :D

Also, I'm assuming the protagonist must be very, very tall. :shock:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#50 Post by monele »

For some reason, everything on this screenshot works for me :D

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#51 Post by chronoluminaire »

Wow, impressive screenshot. The girl's outfit+hairdo is awesome (and fits well enough with the "Renaissance" of the title that I did a doubletake when I realised the other guy is in a suit.) And it's an unusual style to have the characters at different proximities to the POV like that, but I think it works rather well. Looking good!

Also, yay Professors :P
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Jake
Support Hero

#52 Post by Jake »

Aw, thanks guys. ;-)
DaFool wrote:Also, I'm assuming the protagonist must be very, very tall. :shock:
What is it that gives you this cue? From a perspective point of view, both the other people's eyes are at horizon-level - suggesting that the protagonist is of roughly equal height to them - and they're all beneath the ground-floor-ceiling, suggesting they're all shorter than that... is it just that the shape of the building in the background suggests that it should be larger than two storeys tall?

Sethaniel
Regular

#53 Post by Sethaniel »

I think I agree with DaFool.

I am terrible at art, so I don't think I can articulate why it's so, but the guy in the foreground- it looks to me as though either the POV is looking downward toward him, or he is looking upwards to meet the protagonist's eyes. Perhaps it has to do with his posture?

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#54 Post by Vatina »

I think it's because of the girl - because she is further in the background, the man should be placed "higher" than her to make it look right.

I'm not sure though :/ Otherwise a good looking screenshot ^_^

Jake
Support Hero

#55 Post by Jake »

Sethaniel wrote:the guy in the foreground- it looks to me as though either the POV is looking downward toward him, or he is looking upwards to meet the protagonist's eyes.
Well, he's supposed to be tilting his head downward a bit, in that kind-of-a-bit-shy manner. So there is that angle on the face itself.
Vatina wrote:I think it's because of the girl - because she is further in the background, the man should be placed "higher" than her to make it look right.
General rules of perspective place the viewer's eye level at the same height up the image as the horizon. Thus:

- If the other things are taller than you, then things nearer to you will end higher up the image than things further away
- If the other things are shorter than you, then things nearer to you will end higher up the image than things further away.
- If the other things are exactly as high as your eye level, then they'll end exactly the same distance up the image regardless of how far away from you they are.

It's kind of annoying to get such a response - hence asking what it is that gives that impression - 'cause perspective is something I try and pay a lot of attention to. The two characters there are more or less the same height, and more or less the same height as the protagonist, so their eye levels are both the same and both pretty much on the horizon; the guy is closer - but not by much - so he's a bit bigger and reaches a bit further up the image... so unless it's just the head-tilt I'm really not sure where the impression comes from.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#56 Post by Vatina »

I can understand why it would be annoying. I tried to find a picture to compare it to (found this lame picture as the closest thing right now), but I didn't really come to any better conclusions from that. Heh, maybe I was completely off the mark after all ^^;

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#57 Post by Deji »

I found somthing weird in the perspective.... and threw some lines to see what was wrong...
Everything is fine excepting the bulding on the left, that has a very far vanishing point that the rest of the objects and has some lines a bit off.
screenshotredline.jpg
(I found the vanishing point using 1 or 2 lines on the buolding using vector lines in photoshop)

Btw, lovely chars, I fell in love wih the girl <3, and nice architectural work!!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Sethaniel
Regular

#58 Post by Sethaniel »

Like I said, I don't quite know how to explain it, but I'm not the only one who feels it. Somehow, the perspective on the guy (only the guy, I think) seems like in, say, Oblivion, if you're a member of a taller race looking at someone shorter than you.

Maybe it's something about the head tilt?

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#59 Post by chronoluminaire »

I didn't find a perspective problem when I first looked at the image. When people mentioned that the protagonist seemed tall, I could recognise it, and thought it must be something to do with the foreground guy's head tilt. I still don't think it's that much of a problem. The perspective looks fine to me.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Jake
Support Hero

#60 Post by Jake »

Deji wrote:I found somthing weird in the perspective.... and threw some lines to see what was wrong...
Everything is fine excepting the bulding on the left, that has a very far vanishing point that the rest of the objects and has some lines a bit off.
I wonder if that would have been helped if you could see the column which the girl is hiding - it goes down further than your red lines would suggest, in fact the line of the shadow on the ground is parallel with the line from the base of one column to the next; I'd guess this is why it looks like the upper edge of the cornice is higher than it should be, as well. I'll have to have a closer look at the lines of the two sets of window sills when I get home...
Deji wrote:Btw, lovely chars, I fell in love wih the girl <3, and nice architectural work!!
Thanks! Architecture is one of those things I really like to admire, and always seems kind of random to design...

(I mean, girls are one of those things I really like to admire as well, but... ;-)