LSF @ 5 - Pledge Drive

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

LSF @ 5 - Pledge Drive

#1 Post by PyTom »

Upon reading this topic, I'm sure you're worrying that I'm going to ask for money to run the forums. Well, relax. The forums are well-off financially, so there's no need to ask for anythings like that.

Instead, I'm going to ask people for something a little more precious: A few hours of time. Specifically, I'm going to ask people to pledge a few hours of their time to do something for the community at large.

There are a lot of ways people can spend a few hours to help benefit the community as a whole. Here's some suggestions:

Artists could help by creating free graphics, such as character art sets (like these) or backgrounds that can be freely used in visual novels.

Musicians can help in a similar way, by contributing music that can be freely used in visual novels.

Programmers can help by contributing themes and layouts, a process that will be made much easier once Ren'Py 6.6 comes out. Also things like well-documented and easy to use RPG or Dating Sim frameworks would be a big benefit.

Writers and Project Leaders have a bunch of ways they can help. The Ren'Py documentation is always in need of editing and expansion, to make it more comprehensible to the layman. It would also be nice if people would take this time to record some of the lessons learned from game-making... both what worked, and what didn't, so those who came after don't have to keep making the same mistakes.

You can help in whatever way you want. Everything I've listed above is just a suggestion... feel free to do whatever you want.

If people can spend time from January 25th to February 25th on these sort of things, that means that many of the projects will be ready in time for NaNoRenO. This means that people creating NaNoRenO games will be able to benefit from your work.

I'll start off by promising the following things:

- A rewrite of the launcher, to include a number of planned new features (like being able to select the directory games are created in).
- Additional functionality added to renai.us, like letting people add games subject to moderator approval.

Who's next?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

Re: LSF @ 5 - Pledge Drive

#2 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:themes and layouts, a process that will be made much easier once Ren'Py 6.6 comes out.
Does this suggest that 6.6 will be out sometime over the next two weeks, at least in pre-release?
PyTom wrote:Who's next?
Well, hmm. I'm sure I can manage at least either a couple of paper-doll style character sets - one male and one female - or a set of... say, five backgrounds, over the course of a month. I'm not the best artist ever, but hey. I've actually been thinking of doing something like this for ages, sticking it out under a MIT-style CC license, it's just finding the time. :/

Might I also suggest that once the 25th comes around, this thread - or one like it - be turned over to a post-your-progress thread, to keep everyone involved motivated and try and drag a few more in?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#3 Post by PyTom »

Jake wrote:Does this suggest that 6.6 will be out sometime over the next two weeks, at least in pre-release?
Thereabouts, anyway.
Might I also suggest that once the 25th comes around, this thread - or one like it - be turned over to a post-your-progress thread, to keep everyone involved motivated and try and drag a few more in?
That sounds like a good idea to me.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Hmmm - 5 years of LSF, 4 years I am making games. To be honest, am currently probably still at a turning point, trying this and that in order to find a good balance of staying in touch with the VN community, doing what I like, still finding new inspiration, not disappointing people who work with me, as well as giving something back. I think I've more or less found that balance now, and indeed I needed to shift emphasis a bit. I want to keep this hobby and it's probably normal that from time to time (and after 4 years the time can come) one needs to re-think some of his working methods, time usage, other hobbies and so on. But I'm happy - without realizing that I needed to refocus - drop a few things from my activity list that are counterproductive and pick up new ones, I'd probably be without any drive, energy or even free time by now. But now, I even found a way to enjoy harem games again... that must be a good sign. And it's not a joke, it puts a lot of fun back into everything. It's quite important, especially if you have seen it disappear, and thought it was for good. But enough of this.

Actions instead of words - If my RAA login and password still works and if Mr. E is okay with this, I promise to update the RAA so that it is once again in top condition, so that it can represent as good as it can the values and principles that led to its creation. All games are equal and no game should ever be lost. (well, that may be a bit too poetic, but 5 years is a sentimental occasion... )

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#5 Post by Deji »

I was thiking of making character art sets for the community =3
The problem is that I don't have the time right now due my college project and commissions, but its something that it's absolutely in my 2 do list!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:If my RAA login and password still works...
It should. If not, let me know, and I'll make it work.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

It's not easy for a casual surfer to find this page:
http://www.renpy.org/wiki/community/Home_Page
which contains the 'Resource Links' list as well as any essays gamemakers write. (I remember I wrote one some time ago, I can't seem to find it).

Linking to the 'Green' pages from the sidebar of the 'Blue' pages will go a long way, with the suggestion that 'Green' or aesthetics-oriented pages are not really technical commands, but advice from experience.

The question is -- especially for those participating in Nanoreno -- what will people really want more of, and which items will they be content with procuring off-the-shelf?

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#8 Post by Samu-kun »

I'm not really what you would call a master artist, but I can help around by drawing some free character sets. ^_^

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#9 Post by Mirielle »

I think I can contribute a few character sets~ I might even try doing some male ones!

It's good practice, right!
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#10 Post by Hime »

Uh oh, if it's graphics, will not be few hours in my case (I always spend awfully much time on those)... But I might give it a try if I get graphics for the Rena project completed before Feb 25th. :) Or I might write about my experiences on finishing a VN, too... Well, I'll try to contribute in a way or another, I guess.

M12
Veteran

#11 Post by M12 »

Hey I'd be interested in doing some writing of LS. I wonder how I can help?

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#12 Post by Vatina »

This is a great idea. I'm kind of busy with commissions right now, but I should be able to get some free time very soon - I'll try and put something together for this, even if only a little thing ^^
(I'm not so good at drawing BG's, so it will probably be characters)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#13 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

Well, I guess I'll take the coding side of this and try to finish my RPG engine ^^;...

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#15 Post by chronoluminaire »

I've been considering creating a new theme, ever since Elven Relations 10 months ago. I could kick myself into action and actually do that.

It'd be awesome to release an RPG engine, but I don't think I'll have time for that. I could release Elven Relations' combat engine (after adding some documentation and comments), but that was really purpose-designed to have those specific four characters in it, so I'm not sure that'd be very worthwhile.

Perhaps I could kick myself into getting the isometric system I've been working on into a reasonable and portable state, and contribute that.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!