Best pen? (and other questions)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: Best pen? (and other questions)

#31 Post by Vatina »

I use Copic liners as well, and I like them a lot. I have only had one Micron pen that I used for a while - but as soon as I got a copic liner with the same width, I put the micron aside and haven't used it since.
I can't say a lot about the difference, since honestly I'm no good at noticing these things... but there is once, apparently, since I prefer the others :P

Jake
Support Hero

#32 Post by Jake »

mrsulu wrote:Gimp does have all the core functionality of Photoshop
This depends very much on what you consider 'the core functionality of Photoshop'. It maybe has the core functionality of Photoshop Elements. I forget, does it load Photoshop standard filters?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#33 Post by mrsulu »

You can use some Photoshop filters in GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html

You can restate my comment as "GIMP covers nearly all of Photoshop's core functionality" or "some of" or even "parts of". I don't mind. I'm aware that GIMP isn't Photoshop. I frequently use Sketchbook over both.

The point is that after the original poster said he was using GIMP to adjust scan levels and lay down a few colors, he gets a comeback saying real artists don't use GIMP and it's so bad it could actually cause birth defects in your grandchildren. For what he was doing, GIMP was fine, and free, and could get him pretty far before he ran into limits. It doesn't do everything, and the interface has issues, but it's definitely able to adjust levels.

You gotta find what works for you, and what fits your budget and your needs.

Andrew

#34 Post by Andrew »

Cybeat wrote:Hey guys, what's the best kind of pen for outlining your character? I use a fine line pen that doesn't write in dark ink anymore and it appears sloppy on photoshop (maybe I'm supposed to do lineart after that?) and won't appear neat after coloring. Anybody knows how to make your art look neat after scanning? Also, I can't download photoshop anymore since I used up the trial version. Is there another program that's like photoshop? If it's open canvas, how do I make the background transparent(like a magic eraser)?
I use normal, cheap ink pens with thin tips. You can erase mistakes with plain correction liquid and edit some stuff using Paint after you scan it. Any type of pen works nicely, as long as you have the patience to use it.

For your second question, I use GIMP.