Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
So, I had a thought pop into my mind today.
Does being friends with--or even just having someone you communicate with frequently--that's also creating a visual novel of their own . . . Does that help boost productivity?
I was thinking that if you had a friend that was also trying to make their own project a reality that you would communicate and share ideas and update them about your game . . . Do you think that might help boost your productivity?
So, not someone that's physically helping you create your game (other than maybe some idea bouncing here and there) but a person that's creating their own game. Someone that you give updates to and they give updates to you. i.e. when you finish your sprites, when you finish your script, when you're stuck on a piece of art or writing, etc.
I haven't tried doing it myself, but in my opinion, I feel like that would help creators be more motivated to FINISHING their game.
Do you have any friends that you talk to on Skype or Tumblr that are working on their own games? If so, do you think that helps to motivate you to work on and finish your own?
If not, what is your opinion on this matter? Do you think it might help boost productivity?
- Mad Harlequin
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1068
- Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:55 am
- Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
- IRC Nick: MadHarlequin
- Location: Gotham City
I hope to run my drafts by my friends once they're complete.
Do you think it might help boost productivity?
Yep! I have a lot of friends who are working on their own visual novels. Some I've worked with before, and others I eventually started working on projects together.
Being able to discuss our progress - highs and lows is great. i.e. celebrate milestones, work through writer's block or brainstorming or even just how to react to a email or situation outside of VN development really helps. You get to share passion, talk about gaming mechanics, beta-test or even just get excited over something together. When someone reports they wrote X word count for a scene, then I tell myself I can't fall behind and need to keep going too.
So I think it's really useful. ^o^ Of course it's also easy to waste hours discussing stuff, so also be sure to keep track of what you're doing and have a schedule. XD
- Posts: 1757
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm
- Completed: [Phase Shift]
- Projects: [ None ]
- Organization: Paper Stars
- Tumblr: maiscribbles
- Deviantart: maiscribble
- Location: USA, Southern California
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 3645
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 pm
- Projects: A Close Shave
- Location: Medford, MA
For me, over the summer I had a writing buddy--another faculty member who also needed to work on her tenure book. We would meet everyday over the summer at a cafe and work for 5-6 hours on our projects. It was a really productive time. Now the school year has started, we haven't met to work and I haven't been as productive (neither has she). So for me, having an accountability partner has been really productive.
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978
- Posts: 219
- Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:48 pm
- Completed: When the Seacats Cry
- Projects: Detective Butler
- Organization: Goldbar Games
- Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
- Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
- Github: GoldbarGames
- Skype: Kinjo Goldbar
- itch: goldbargames
- Location: /seacats/
- Posts: 388
- Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 pm
- Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
- Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
- Deviantart: truefaiterman
- Location: Spain, and without bullfighting!
- Posts: 469
- Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 am
- Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
- Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
- Organization: Ithaqua Labs
- Tumblr: geckosart
- Deviantart: sitaart
As a result of this we've been collaborating on more and more projects, actually. It's quite fun!
I generally end up doing the editing, coding and art for the projects I work on! (Not much of a writer but I'm a pretty good ideator and bouncer.)
If anybody would like to talk shop sometime my skype is email@example.com and my tumblr is http://geckosart.tumblr.com/
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:07 am
- Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
- Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
- Tumblr: railgun-gameblog
- Location: France
Those sharing the same interest will have an easier time understanding where you are going and those who don't (for instance, friends who are neither players nor game dev) will often give you insight you'd never have thought of. They can be brutally honest too ^^
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:38 pm
- Projects: Ebon Light
- Tumblr: underbliss
- Deviantart: Ahnna
I can think of a few scenarios where having a visual novel dev buddy would backfire, but those are the sorts of things which would backfire in almost any relationship (like having a friend who makes you feel poorly, general negativity, etc). Further people in the depths of depression might feel poorly about themselves if their friends are accomplishing things and they're not, but hiding away tends to feed depression in the first place and I'm rapidly drifting from the point! Aside from that I imagine there are some people who completely 100% work best alone and a buddy who's coming in to their work/hobby space would only be distracting, but I suspect that's the great minority. Humans tend to be social as a rule, even if despite themselves.
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm
- Completed: No One But You, Catch Canvas, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more
- Projects: Warped Reality
- Organization: Unwonted Studios
- IRC Nick: Kairu_kyun
- Tumblr: karamuchan
- ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
- Posts: 3059
- Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 am
- Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
- Projects: Athena
- Organization: Cyanide Tea
- Tumblr: auro-cyanide
- Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:20 am
- Completed: Tortichki // Zayay
- Organization: SHINE
- Tumblr: psyalera
- Deviantart: psyalera
But I've found I'm a better listener. I enjoy listening to other people's stories and supporting them! I feel more awkward talking myself for some reason. So if anyone wants me to listen about their project and cheer for them, I'm here (or could be skype or anywhere) OvO
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 528
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am
- Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Our War Everlasting, Love Bug
- Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
- Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
- itch: aviala
- Location: Finland
I'd like to know more VN devs though! Networking and all that, you know. So if anyone is interested in me or my project, feel free to drop me a message. :)
Users browsing this forum: No registered users