Sci-fi: Do you want alien dates, or human only?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
scarletshackles
Projects: Unnamed (FemProtagonist, 4-6 male LIs), Unnamed2 (MaleProtagonist, 4-6 male LIs)
Deviantart: heartshackles

Re: Sci-fi: Do you expect alien dates, or human only?

#16 Post by scarletshackles »

SundownKid wrote:I probably would like a game that had alien dates more than a sci-fi game with just human ones, then again, I am a sci-fi writer so I'm not exactly the average audience. But, I consider part of the fun of a space opera type game that you can interact with alien beings that can be super different than your typical all human cast.
Ah I see. I'm already designing the alien races and having a blast! :D I appreciate your feedback, and I believe I will be including weird aliens. ;D

scarletshackles
Projects: Unnamed (FemProtagonist, 4-6 male LIs), Unnamed2 (MaleProtagonist, 4-6 male LIs)

#17 Post by scarletshackles »

YonYonYon wrote:Why stop on aliens? ROMANCE THE SPACESHIP!
Hahaha. I laughed. o/ BRING THE ALIENS!

scarletshackles

#18 Post by scarletshackles »

Dylan_Bain wrote:From what you have said so far, I would tackle it this way...

You could be the leader of the human race (or representative) and depending on your relationship with the alien forms (love, friend, hate) they decide to battle you or not.
Yes it sounds like an idea. Although I wonder if it would be too complicated for me personally to execute, as I know very little about politics. >___< Though I should think about it. Very worthy idea. :)

Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

#19 Post by Thirteen »

I find that it helps ease people into the whole, I'm gonna date this alien, if you have a species who has human like features. Mass effect was used as an example before, and in that case the Asari would be the transitionary species for players. They're very human-esqe in their features other than being blue and having tentacles. Other than that the models are visually the same facial wise to the human models in the game.

That being said I was one of the players of Mass effect who wanted to date all the aliens ever, especially the Hanar, those cool jelly fish guys.

I'd say have alien species since it adds to notoriety, but keep at least one of them visually similar to the human face, just in case someone wants to be daring and date an alien, but not an alien that is too alien.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#20 Post by Harliqueen »

I think what Thirteen suggested is a good idea, at least then those people not used to the sci-fi genre could be led into it gently with a more human-like alien.

Personally, I say go for it, adding a really unique looking race could be just as good as a human-like one! Using Mass Effect as an example again, Garrus has got to be one of the most popular romances and he's not human-like at all :D But I am a fan of sci-fi, so that might just be me!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#21 Post by SundownKid »

In my opinion, I felt that the Asari were maybe too human to be called aliens. The Turians were humanoid while being different enough to believably be an alien, but the Asari stretched that... a lot. If I ever did such a thing in my writing, I would rather that beings on the "Star Trek alien' style would be genetically modified humans. Or, an alien race seeded their evolution and ours via panspermia. Just don't call them aliens because it breaks suspension of disbelief in a work with a ton of supposedly "realistic" lore about how all the technology works.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#22 Post by Taleweaver »

If your sci-fi has humanoid aliens, yeah, they should be dateable. If your sci-fi has NON-humanoid aliens and they are datable, then that (and the implications) should better be the point of your entire game.

Sci-fi as a genre is perfectly suited to explore the relationship of man and society. Use that if you can.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#23 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

SundownKid wrote:In my opinion, I felt that the Asari were maybe too human to be called aliens. The Turians were humanoid while being different enough to believably be an alien, but the Asari stretched that... a lot. If I ever did such a thing in my writing, I would rather that beings on the "Star Trek alien' style would be genetically modified humans. Or, an alien race seeded their evolution and ours via panspermia. Just don't call them aliens because it breaks suspension of disbelief in a work with a ton of supposedly "realistic" lore about how all the technology works.
Actually, according to cannon, the Asari appear according to the likeness of who is viewing them. In ME2 I believe on the Citadel you can hear a group of guys having a confused conversation about what an Asari looks like that implies that they look different to each species (The human was commenting on the belly button and the others were basically wtf man, they don't have belly buttons). Considering that an Asari can breed with any other species, and they prefer this because of the diversity benefits that brings since they actually discriminate against full blooded Asari, it makes a fair bit of sense in that regard. There a bunch of mind tripping going on there.

However I am fully aware that this probably had very little to do with their initial design since I don't think it's a coincidence that all the female alien romance options barely stray from human physiques, I still find it quite an interesting thing a writer slipped into an overheard conversation. It amused me.

Sharane
Regular

#24 Post by Sharane »

I definitely vote for dating the aliens :D Also as you wrote that you consider if they will be the enemies or not, I would love the idea that MC could "change" the enemy alien to the "friendly" alien by dating. Like in the other VNs, by dating some grumpy guy, you discovered his better side.

About combat scenes and battles... I don´t like it and I admit I don´t play VN with combat modes even if the game looks interesting. It´s quite boring for me so I would prefer the option to skip it.
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#25 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Actually, according to canon, the Asari appear according to the likeness of who is viewing them.
How do you arrive at this conclusion? I may be recalling this scene incorrectly, but the salarian asks what a belly button is because he doesn't understand what belly buttons are, not because he doesn't see the asari's. He calls it "the divot in her abdomen."

Anyway, I support the inclusion of aliens that are less humanoid.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

steve_T
Regular

#26 Post by steve_T »

YonYonYon wrote:Why stop on aliens? ROMANCE THE SPACESHIP!
Like in the Anne MaCaffrey novel "the ship who sang" ... hmm I should re-read that book ..

steve_T
Regular

#27 Post by steve_T »

As a big sci-fi fan I would love to see a VN where you could date an alien. It's been done in other media ie movies, tv, and books so why not VN's.

I'd love to date an Orion slave girl but maybe not a Klingon .... but then again :D

Zylinder
Veteran

#28 Post by Zylinder »

I demand this:

But yes, aliens please, and make them extra alieny too. One of my pet peeves with sci-fi books is that their aliens are basically humans dip in mauve paint, with a completely human physiology.

I'm okay with combat scenes, but they generally aren't very convincing in VN format. Maybe as part of the story, but not as THE point of the story.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#29 Post by Taleweaver »

Zylinder wrote:But yes, aliens please, and make them extra alieny too. One of my pet peeves with sci-fi books is that their aliens are basically humans dip in mauve paint, with a completely human physiology.
Good example of aliens done right: Mobile Frame Zero ("giant robot tabletop battles with robots built from Lego"). Their alien race of choice is the Ijad, hand-sized alien leeches whose culture revolves around establishing neural links to other species - their enemies would say they are parasites controlling other beings, they would say they create unions between themselves and others. There are humans who bond with them, and to those humans, it's the same emotional envolvement as being in a steady, loving relationship with another human.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#30 Post by SundownKid »

Taleweaver wrote:
Zylinder wrote:But yes, aliens please, and make them extra alieny too. One of my pet peeves with sci-fi books is that their aliens are basically humans dip in mauve paint, with a completely human physiology.
Good example of aliens done right: Mobile Frame Zero ("giant robot tabletop battles with robots built from Lego"). Their alien race of choice is the Ijad, hand-sized alien leeches whose culture revolves around establishing neural links to other species - their enemies would say they are parasites controlling other beings, they would say they create unions between themselves and others. There are humans who bond with them, and to those humans, it's the same emotional envolvement as being in a steady, loving relationship with another human.
That also reminds me a lot of the Yeerks from Animorphs. As well as the Goa'uld from Stargate. Similar idea - most of them are hostile alien parasites, though there are a few who establish a symbiotic relationship.