Which Blog Site Should I Use?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Which Blog Site Should I Use?

#1 Post by infel »

So I wanna make a blog or website for my games, but I'm unsure which ones to use. If you guys have any advice or why you like a certain one, I'd love to know =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

kino-san
Regular
Completed: Amongst the Seasons
Projects: A whole load of ideas in my head..
Organization: None as of yet..
Deviantart: kino-san

Re: Which Blog Site Should I Use?

#2 Post by kino-san »

Hello!

For me it's definitely Weebly. The site allows for free website customization as well as a blog editor. It's really easy to use with a WYSIWYG editor. I think the only downside is that the bottom footer advertizes weebly but for a fee per month that can be removed.

The only other website editor I have used is Wordpress when I was volunteering. But compared to weebly it's slightly more tricky to use (in my view). I have used the customized version that requires to pay for a domain but is fully customizable and requires to install a plugin. There is a free version of wordpress however I do not know anything about it.

I have also heard of SquareSpace, but I have not used that but there are lots of other free website domains like weebly.
Last edited by kino-san on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#3 Post by thebackup »

kino-san wrote:The only other website editor I have used is Wordpress when I was volunteering. But compared to weebly it's slightly more tricky to use and a pain to install (but not overly hard). Plus you would have to pay for a domain.
Um, you can always register a blog at wordpress.com, no need to pay for anything (unless you decide to purchase any of the add-ons), nothing to install, etc... Of course you'll lose out on the customization and flexibility compared to a self-hosted wordpress blog.

kino-san
Regular
Completed: Amongst the Seasons
Projects: A whole load of ideas in my head..
Organization: None as of yet..
Deviantart: kino-san

#4 Post by kino-san »

thebackup wrote:
kino-san wrote:The only other website editor I have used is Wordpress when I was volunteering. But compared to weebly it's slightly more tricky to use and a pain to install (but not overly hard). Plus you would have to pay for a domain.
Um, you can always register a blog at wordpress.com, no need to pay for anything (unless you decide to purchase any of the add-ons), nothing to install, etc... Of course you'll lose out on the customization and flexibility compared to a self-hosted wordpress blog.
Oops did not know that one could get a free wordpress blog. Well I didn't use it for long and the people who use wordpress at courses or at the charity I volunteered for never tell me these things.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#5 Post by Razz »

For blogs definitely tumblr.

You can amass a following and your newest posts are displayed on an easily accessible dashboard and tag search function for users. There's no need for people to check back wondering if you've updated... and possibly forgetting your blog exists.

You can also reblog and show support for other projects you're interested in with the click of a button! :P

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

It seems the three main sites people use to blog are: Blogger, Wordpress, and Tumblr. If you google: "blogger vs wordpress vs tumblr" you'll come up with a plethora of interesting sites comparing the three different platforms.

Here are three I found informative:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-med ... s-blogger/
http://www.malandarras.com/tumblrvswordpress
https://blog.udemy.com/best-blogging-platform/
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#7 Post by ameliori »

It depends on the kind of content you want to produce, and the kind of audience you want to attract. Being a graphic designer, I find it important to figure out the "voice" you want your group/game to have before deciding.

Wordpress:
- Use if you are planning on word-driven content like tutorials, information, production notes, etc.
- Clean and professional, to the point
- Most users in wordpress are more mature. The demographic is a little bit older
- You have to shell out money to customize it the way you want. The default will always be a standard magazine look.
- Use for more serious projects and if you are more focused on getting the point across
- Conversing with your audience is clean and efficient

Tumblr
- Use if your posts are more graphic heavy, screenshots, character designs, etc.
- Design options are very flexible
- More emphasis on sharing and creating a fanbase. Reblogging and liking is the highlight.
- The blog is very very easy to customize so you can achieve a certain look you want. However, you are using a website alongside stinkydicks.tumblr.com and 1directionfanforeva.tumblr.com. Some people are turned off by Tumblr and won't take you seriously. It is also really hard to find a voice in a place where everyone is talking/ranting at the top of their voice.
- Conversing with your audience can be tricky. Most people think the "like" and "reblog" options are their form of approval and wont really start a conversation with you... Unless you are a senpai.

Blogger
- Somewhere between the two.
- Design options are very flexible. You can customize it fairly easily, but you may need some coding knowledge
- From what I observed, Blogger is very diverse and can cater to a lot of audiences. This is both a pro and a con.
- Visual novel - centric blogs in blogger are quite rare
- Since their design options are on the "anything goes" category, it is easy to fck it up and make your blog look unintentionally like Cthulu's vomit. The default design is the classic blog: Header, content, sidebar.
- Most popular blogs in blogger are on the tutorials category and personal blogging (From my observation), so people may expect your content to follow along those lines.
- Since Blogger is the oldest website out of the three, the demographic is also a bit on the older side.

Hope this helps you decide.

P.S. Free websites like Weebly and Wix are good options if your only goal is to have an info dumping site. There are no options to talk to your audience using them, but it's a good way to showcase galleries of your characters, the work you produced so far, etc. Their blog options are a bit on the meh side since they dont have the features found in the first three websites mentioned.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

Use Wordpress if you want to have something more professional looking, where you can choose your own themes/layout. You can install Wordpress onto your hosting, and control every aspect of it, such as hosting your images there as well, and using the same domain for multiple sites.

Tumblr is a very artist focused kind of website and it looks a lot more informal for the most part. Honestly, I don't really like Tumblr's layout at all, but it can be useful if you want your posts to be "discovered" by others in a social media kind of way.

I don't see a lot of other stuff that much, probably because Wordpress has made Blogger obsolete.