Crossover: Should it be made?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

Crossover: Should it be made?

#1 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Okay ever since I was a kid I always imagined what it would be like to be "inside" an anime/manga. Although hey, what kid DIDN'T? Also some kids (also like me) dreamed of a world where dreams came true, and maybe thought of crossing different shows, just to see what the different characters would do.

So I created a story called "Crossover". It's kinda confusing but I'll try to explain. One day, a kid see's a man stealing a book and runs through a portal. The kid follows and is teleported to a world where all the fiction of our world becomes their reality. Every word, has a meaning. However the portal wipes his memory clean.

Meanwhile the bad guy (Andromeda) wants to kill all humans. In the story she was in her parents were killed and she was supposed to become a savior, however the story was never finished, and the death of her parents corrupted her so she became evil and hated the humans for what they did.

Now there are 3 kinds of "races" in this world. The "originals". These people were created through human writings and now have their own sentience. They can create other ideas and make them become reality. Want a car? Boom. It appears. What a brother/sister? boom. he/she appears.

The "imaginates" are those created by "originals". They have sentience inless the "originals" take control of them to do a certain task. However they are not given the ability to create other things.

And finally there are the "devols" these beings are still being created on paper, and their actions are souly controlled by the creator of them in the real world. "devols" only come from human writings and eventually become "originals".

Now to continue the storyline...

Your character meets "Angel". An imaginate created by Andromeda. When Andromeda learns that Angel has found another human, she forces Angel to lead you into a trap.

So much for happily ever after.
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Crossover: Should it be made?

#2 Post by Cybeat »

Pretty interesting. I never thought of a crossover, but I did think of something else.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by musical74 »

It's not really a crossover but mikey did a VERY hilarious game called Marry Me Misato...about a guy so enraptured with an anime character that he decides to marry her! <funny stuff!>

I've contemplated what it would be like to be in a game or book...myself, I would probably play it, because I love the idea of *culture clash*, more so if you are playing something that is swords and socery and suddenly get zapped into that realm...try explaining something that is so second nature to you to someone that's never ever heard of it...and the reverse would be true as well...fun stuff!

True item: at one point I thought of making a game which had characters from Final Fantasy 6 get zapped into modern day Salem OR< live near there>....thought it would be hilarious watching Locke and Terra trying to fit it...Cyan with his *Thou*s....watching Edgar hit on every female over the age of 12 (hint: women carry mace!>)...would have been interesting to say the least but I scrapped it because 1) I suck royally at drawing and 2) couldn't make it work right...hope you can make this work =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

That actually sounds like a fascinating concept. I'd be very curious to see where the story goes from there. As a crossover, would that mean there'd be characters from famous literary works as well (i.e. running into Alice or Tom Sawyer) or would they all be original?

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#5 Post by Nafai »

It's an interesting concept, but a difficult one. You'd need to really flesh out the relation between the other world and the 'real' world - for instance, when exactly do the originals break free of the hold of their human creators? Is it a matter of time? The death of the creator? What if someone other than their creator writes about them(whether in authorized continuations or in fan fiction). What about stories that were never published?

Of course even more central would be what the protagonist's existence would be like in the Other world.

If you can hash out a consistent world though that has a logic of its own, it sounds like a fun concept. Your concept behind Andromeda is particularly striking. :)

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#6 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

@sakura

That’s the beautiful thing about crossover. Not only will we see characters such as Andromeda, but characters from R/L TV shows, Anime, Manga, older stories (I.E. Tom Sawyer, Snow White, ect.). I wrote this originally as an HTML “choose your own path” comic but with Ren’Py it makes the ability for interactivity more fun, and interesting. However unlike “Star Trek: Espada” where 90% of the art is original, most if not all of the art will be edited, from sites such as photobucket along with screen-captures from TV and Movies.

@Nafai

The exact way they are controlled is a bit complex but it is pretty understandable. Pretty much they do all the actions from the first “installment” but as soon as it finishes they are able to go on their marry way. As far as fan-fics go, the only way someone is controlled by that is if that person was created SPECIFICALLY for the fan-fic. If a sequel is made then the person is once more controlled by their creator.
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#7 Post by Vatina »

This reminds me of a book I read and loved when I was much younger, about some sort of dream world where every fictive character had a life. This sounds a bit different, but different in a good way (that was a really weird book). I'd like to see this being done ^^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

*very* interesting concept;.. and as Nafai says, if you can nail the rules of your world, you should have a must-play game on your hands ^_^.
As for reusing other characters, I'm split : I utterly love stories reusing very popular characters (ever seen Read or Die?... or simply something like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, albeit a so-so movie?), but only because they're so commonly known that it doesn't feel like fanfiction but a reinterpretation of a myth. I'd say Snow White would work if she's with similar characters, but I wonder how I'd feel about seeing Goku, Indiana Jones and Goldylocks evolving in the same story... unless a big amount of "equalizing" had been done to them.

herenvardo
Veteran

#9 Post by herenvardo »

I once did something similar in a role-playing campaign I was running. Well, actually, I didn't, the players did: as soon as one of the mages learned the "Planar Portal" spell, my nightmare began: every now and then I had to improvise rules for absurd interactions. We ended up with absurds like Gandalf piloting an Eva, a dragon marrying a cyborg (and having descendence :? ), or the dwarf mine's linux-based machines, which were in control of the production of a necromancer's nuclear arsenal, poping BsoD's up.
Fortunatelly enough, computer games don't give the player as much freedom as a table-top game where the first rule states that the only rule is the game master and the second rule states that the only limit is imagination; so you are not likely to face the nightmare of patching the game rules several times per game. Furthermore, I can tell you that, once the rules worked (yes, it was hard, but I finally made them work decently), the remix of realities became really fun.
So, having the chance to do this in a more "controllable" media, go for it! There's a lot of juice to be squeezed from the idea of multiple realities, specially when they can influence each other (ie: authors influencing "fictional" characters without the awareness that they are real in their own realities). I'm looking forward to see this project completed ;)
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P